Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  All

Author Topic: Pics of my new Handy lift  (Read 43592 times)

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
Re: Pics of my new Handy lift
« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2009, 08:26:05 PM »

Here are days 5 and 6 on the lift install. I will explain the noteworthy points in between each picture.

This first picture shows one of the the rebars that has been bent 90 degrees, epoxied into the existing garage floor, and tied into the lift slab.

This picture shows the epoxied rebar from the existing floor being tied into the rebar from the recently poured lift slab, together with two complete encircled rebars that will all be inside the sidewall.

This picture shows the two, 2 inch schedule 80 conduit tubes coming out of the 2 x 12 inch concrete form.

Here is the entire frame built to hold the concrete for the walls and conduit run. Note the protruding piece of wood into the concrete sidewall to make room for the lift front drop support and hinges. The height of the concrete walls are approximately 10 7/16 inch. The 2 x 12s were ripped to accomodate the slightly uneven garage floor so when the concrete is poured to the top of the 2 x 12s, the walls will be level with the perfectly level lift once it is installed.

Here is the back of the 2 x 12 inch form. Note the 1 1/2 x 1 inch piece of wood attached to the rear 2 x 12 form to allow the protruding lift ramp to fit into the space being created so the rear lift top can (and will) be snug to the back wall.

Here the installers are mixing and pouring 6 bag concrete into the frame.

The concrete is all poured and wet.

Here is a picture of the distance from the steel fabricated frame to the top of the new sidewall. Note it is 7 3/4 inches, which is the height of the 1500 pound Handy electric hydraulic lift in the down position. Also note the cavity in the back wall for the protruding ramp support on the lift.

Here is a picture of the lift ramp that protrudes back 1 inch from the lift that the cavity in the concrete was built to house so the top of the lift in the rear can be flush with the rear sidewall.

This is how the steel frame that will hold the lift looks in the completed concrete hole. You can see the indent in the concrete walls to accommodate the front lift dropdown hinge support. In addition to the extra room the top hinge needs in the sidewall, at the base of the lift on the pan directly under the hinge, there is a pivot shaft that protrudes 1 inch from the pan, whcih is the location of the "front scissor" support point that raises and lowers the lift.

Here is a close up of the hinge support that protrudes out from the lift.

This is a close up of the front lift hinge cut out in the concrete. You can see I also put a 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 inch steel tube cross support piece on the fabricated frame directly under the pivot shaft that protrudes from the pan of the lift. This steel cross piece is also the location, in the center of the lift pan, that the hydraulic cylinder unit is mounted onto the lift pan, which is directly on top if this steel tube cross support.

You can see from the steel frame support that the conduit lines come out in front of the fabricated steel frame support. The conduit lines were designed to come out between the base of the lift that houses the electric motor and hydraulic fluid reservoir and the top platform of the lift.

Close up of the two 2 inch conduit lines.

When the lift is installed, I made the countersunk hole five additional inches longer at the front. I intend to put a steel plate, 1/4 inch thick supported by two or three solid blocks of wood (5 x 5 x 10 3/8 inches) or I might use several 4 inch square steel tubes to support the steel plate so it is flush with the garage floor when the lift is in the down position.

I wanted some extra room in front so I could service the lift motor and hydraulic fluid in the event one day I pushed the lift controller button to raise the lift and it does not move. Moreover, I want room to put my lift controller under the steel plate because the cable line that operates it needs to be extended by about 40 inches if it is to be put in the conduit run and hung on the garage wall. If I choose not to extend the lift controller cable, I can put the lift controller in a watertight bag or container under the steel plate in front of the lift, and everything will be at or below garage floor level.

The final step is to let the concrete walls cure a few days then call my friend with his crane and set the lift in the countersunk hole at which time this project will be done.

Randall
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 10:28:03 PM by rheiner »

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2009, 08:53:12 PM »

Looks good, I guess you're not going to use the tool trays on the sides of the lift?

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2009, 11:35:25 PM »

Looks good, I guess you're not going to use the tool trays on the sides of the lift?

Jim,

I decided early on not to make room for them in the down position. I don't think they'd hold up and be durable if the full weight of a bike or car tire ran over them. If I'm going to be working on a project for more than just fluid changes, once I raise the lift, it would take only a minute or two to bolt the tool trays on each side, then take them off when I'm done.

Randall
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 08:05:04 PM by rheiner »

REGGAB

« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2009, 01:12:06 AM »

Looks really great, Randall.  You're gonna have a really nice rig when this project is complete.   :2vrolijk_21:

hogasm

« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2009, 09:35:10 PM »

How are things going reiner :nixweiss:

Your pictorial has been one of the best and most informative on this site in a while

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2009, 10:59:22 PM »

I'm good to go. So screw it....let's ride work.

I can take it up two more inches for a total of 40.25 inches from the garage floor.

HID lighting in the buckets, but that's for another thread.

It's been a fun project but I'm ready to ride. It's spring time.

Randall
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 11:02:52 PM by rheiner »

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2009, 11:11:01 PM »

To cool

Very nice  :2vrolijk_21:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2009, 11:23:01 PM »

Rheiner - that's about a slick a deal as I've ever seen. You should rent the place out!

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2009, 11:28:14 PM »

Looks GREAT Randall :2vrolijk_21: I bet it feels good to have it all finished. 8)

REGGAB

« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2009, 11:49:49 PM »

VERY NICE, Randall!  Congratulations on a job very well done.  That looks great, and it is at the perfect height.  I know you must be thrilled to have this project completed.   :2vrolijk_21:

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2009, 12:28:10 AM »

Randall,

I followed every inch of your install and picked up a few ideas along the way. Thanks for taking the time and putting together a well documented tutorial of your lift install. And oh yea, great pictures too  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #101 on: March 13, 2009, 06:42:14 AM »

That is totally awesome, job well done!!!! :xyxthumbs: Top that off I really like the color combo of the lift. :D :D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #102 on: March 13, 2009, 09:15:53 AM »

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone. I'm happy to give anyone my thoughts and suggestions about what I learned with this project, but all my pictures tell most of the story. Just shoot me a PM. I'm looking forward to a lifetime of enjoyment in my garage. Bikes will come and go but this baby is likely here to stay, unless something better comes along that I can't live without. :P

I'm leaving shortly for a 3 day ride to warmer weather in the south--Arizona and Nevada. I hope everyone finds time to have a safe ride this weekend.

Randall

bknerr

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #103 on: March 13, 2009, 10:46:40 AM »

incredibly well thought out project. great idea, wouldn`t have thought of it myself.
1963 flh
1974 fxe

2003 flhrc
2008 flhtcuse3

1711tab

« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2009, 11:01:53 AM »

I'm good to go. So screw it....let's ride work.

It's been a fun project but I'm ready to ride. It's spring time.

Randall

Looking GOOD very NICE...  Enjoy...

I bought my Handy Lift in 1998 and it's never given me a ounce of trouble... There the BEST in my opinion... 
HYPERFORMANCE 131"
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8  All

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.