Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Pros/Cons for pulling a trailer  (Read 3189 times)

Firechief2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCU3
    • Calgary Red Knights
Re: Pros/Cons for pulling a trailer
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2009, 02:30:48 PM »

More accurately called a poultry scale I guess. This is the best picture I could find.
Roy J
Past President Calgary Red Knights
Deputy Chief (retired) SFD

hogasm

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2009, 02:38:27 PM »

More accurately called a poultry scale I guess. This is the best picture I could find.
[/quot

You can get them at most good tackle stores

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2009, 04:03:19 PM »

Yea, looks just like my fish scales. I'm almost afraid to ask, but since a chicken doesn't have lips or gills, where's the hook go?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 07:54:45 PM by trapperdog »

hogasm

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2009, 08:03:26 PM »

Yea, looks just like my fish scales. I'm almost afraid to ask, but since a chicken doesn't have lips or gills, where's the hook go?

Leg

hogasm

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2009, 08:10:01 PM »

I once hit a coyote in South Dakota while pulling my Travel Lite camper. Was traveling way too fast. I believe that the trailer helped to maintain the bikes stability. The bike came about a  foot off the ground, according to eye witness, and I hardly knew what happened.

On the other note, keep both trailer wheels on the road. Having one wheel go off the road could pull the rear end of the bike off the road.

Lost about 5 mpg.

Save a ton on hotel rooms and carry what I need and what I don't need.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2009, 09:30:45 PM »

I once hit a coyote in South Dakota while pulling my Travel Lite camper. Was traveling way too fast. I believe that the trailer helped to maintain the bikes stability. The bike came about a  foot off the ground, according to eye witness, and I hardly knew what happened.

Wow, you were pretty dang lucky!  I'll bet your eyes were wide as a saucer after that.

hogasm

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2009, 07:03:32 AM »

Wow, you were pretty dang lucky!  I'll bet your eyes were wide as a saucer after that.

We were following two unmarked police cars that were on I90 traveling a tad over a buck. The coyote hit the back quarter panel of the rear car. I saw it coming the whole way but for some reason I never flinched.

The coyote imploded on me.....very nasty....guts, hair, blood everywhere. A piece of leg bone lodged in my front fairing. It cracked my right lower. right saddle bag, ant tour pack.

I didn't realize how bad it was till the police turned around at Wall SD, where it happened. They were yelling at me to lay on the ground. Wearing just a brain bucket made my hearing near nill, so I couldn't understand why they were yelling at me. Then I looked down at my chest and saw all the B&G's and they thought they were mine. I wrestled away from one of the police and started to wipe the B&G's off me. They wrestled my arms away from continuing wiping and noticed that my shirt was not even ripped. That is when I realized how close to death I really was.

I can't say that I was or have been afraid on the bike, just cautious of my surroundings. One thing in these parts is deer. They are everywhere and there is really not much one can do to not hit one when circumstances are not on your side.

Bojiboy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire and Stardust Silver
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2009, 09:38:58 AM »

I'd have to agree with all the comments here about pulling a trailer. It's really great to have the space for everything you need, or the wife needs. Our Bushtec Quantum Sport pulls just great, you really do barely notice it's there. What we do notice is the somewhat slower acceleration, braking requires a bit more pressure and gas milage suffers. We typically end up with a gross weight of about 320 pounds so I keep the tongue weight at around 35 pounds. That's pretty important. Pulling at 70 to 75mph we get 31 mpg as opposed to 39 without. Slowing down to 60 or so helps milage quite a bit.

Anyway, pulling a trailer is just great for those longer trips......
2012 FLHTCUSE7 Wicked Sapphire and Stardust Silver
2006 FLHTCUSE (traded in)
2005 FLHRCI (sold)
Single enclosed trailer

donald p

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 CVO
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO
    • CVO3: 2020 Tri Glide CVO
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2009, 11:35:10 AM »

there is a uni-go trailer for sale on ebay. blue @ $2000. right now, ends in 3.5 hrs
.FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary #680
2020 Tri Glide CVO

Bikin' Bob

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2009, 08:42:38 PM »

Here's my ignorance coming through.  I've never thought about pulling a trailer until I read through this thread, and I'm warming to the idea now.  Some of you above mentioned keeping the hitch weight at 20 lbs. or 35 lbs. or a percentage of the gross weight.  How do you do that?  Does that mean packing the bulk of the gear toward the rear of the trailer?  Also, you mentioned keeping the weight evenly distributed in the trailer.  I would assume that you do so by putting the gear in the middle of the trailer and working out to the sides to do so.  Again, I have never had one, and thus, I'm curious as to the details of how you load, etc.

Bikin' Bob
Why squabble? Just ride!

screwup

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC 3
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2009, 09:02:48 PM »

in loadilng any trailer you need 60% of the weight from the wheels forward.   should you load most of the weight behind the wheels you will have "the tail waggy the dog effect" trailer will whip on you.    By putting 60% over the wheels and forward it will prevent the whipping and place approx 20 to 30 lbs on the hitch depending upon type of trailer you are pulling.    I have pulled bushtec trailers since 82 and have never had a problem except when overloaded or droping a wheel off the road in the twisties.

Yes it does effect stoping distance, starting distances and gas mileage but it is definetly worth it.

Bikin' Bob

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2009, 09:06:59 PM »

Screwup - thanks!
Why squabble? Just ride!
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 20 queries.