Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Pros/Cons for pulling a trailer  (Read 3172 times)

HDBaggerDave

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 07FLHTCU
Pros/Cons for pulling a trailer
« on: February 16, 2009, 05:32:09 PM »

I see them all the time.  The pro is simple but at what harm to your ride.  If I get some positive feedback I might consider it.  Thanks

Bikin' Bob

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
Re: Pros/Cons for pulling a trailer
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 05:47:42 PM »

HDBaggerDave - I posted a simar thread back in January under Event Chatter.  It's still on the first page under the title "ride or trailer to events." There are lots of responses there.

Bikin' Bob
Why squabble? Just ride!

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 06:34:42 PM »

I see them all the time.  The pro is simple but at what harm to your ride.  If I get some positive feedback I might consider it.  Thanks
If you mean pulling the trailer with the bike the only con is $$$$$ for trailer paint, hitch ,harness etc. :D
Actually, pulling on the open road you will hardly notice it (Other than the 55mph speed limit here in Ca.) Climbing steep grades you will have to shift at a much higher RPM. If you are an inexperienced or uncomfortable rider in the twisties, the trailer will only accentuate your bad habits.
Be sure to do a search here, there have been a few threads on the subject.

HDBaggerDave

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2009, 06:44:37 PM »

Ya thanks, I guess I should of said "pull it with your bike".  Obviously from seeing your photo you know what you're talking about.  Thanks alot.

Bikin' Bob

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 06:48:14 PM »

Oops - my apologies for misunderstanding your question.
Why squabble? Just ride!

HDBaggerDave

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 06:56:48 PM »

None needed.  Sometimes my fingers out run my brain.  Wife says it happens all the time.

SE-Randy

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2009, 08:28:20 PM »

I pulled one on a regular basis back when I rode Goldwings, never knew it was back there most of the time.
Don't worry about life...you'll never get out of it alive!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 08:47:44 PM »

Got a used Bushtec close to two years ago (damn, doesn't seem that long).  Before that had always just piled on as need be.  Of course for years and years never considered anything else.  Not much of an option really.

Then a couple years ago or a bit longer started paying more attention to those that were pulling trailers.  Also noticed the greater amount of crap I liked to carry now that never used to be part of the process.  Things like heated clothing, extra electronics/batteries/chargers, more spare parts, actually carrying spare underwear and lord knows what else.  It was easy to load up for any trip longer than a long weekend and have no room to bring anything extra back.  Especially if not riding alone.  So tried the trailer. 

Found a fortunately nicely priced used Bushtec Roadstar.  That's the smaller of the Busthecs but it's still proved to be plenty of space.  After some initial trepidation I came to enjoy it very much. 

Getting ready to leave is easier.  Don't have to waste time laying things out to see how much will fit or where.  Just throw it in.  Not sure about a couple extras of something or different weight clothes for weather that might or might not show up.  Just throw it in.  Find something cool or interesting in route.  No problem.  Just throw it in.  An extra camera lens or two or tripod or other gear.  No problem.  Just throw it in.  Portable compressor for the blow up doll.  No problem.  Just throw them in.

Have only pulled my own trailer so can't comment on others.  But my impressions seem in line with those of others.  Pulling the unit behind you is a surprisingly minimal thing.  It's wrong to say you don't now it's there.  But you do barely know it's there.  Bike handling is slightly different.  But only in the rarest of circumstances is it actually worse.  And those circumstances can be minimized even more as you learn how best to load the trailer.

The bike's fuel economy goes down a bit. For me about 5mpg on either bike.  The greater utility for trips of any distance, however, is well worth that trade off.  At least it has been for me.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 09:18:24 PM »

i got a sidecar rather than a trailer for several reasons.

my ankles started falling asleep [the joint itsself.. doc says some kind of arthritis] about 7 years ago - it gets real dicy pulling up to the first stop light after a hundred miles wondering if im going to dump it and my honey over the side.....  :-\

i dont like having wheels with no brakes - it makes me nervous - with a hd sidecar i can lock all three up and stay upright. [of course anybody behind me gets all pissed off since i stop sooner than they do....]

they have more room and haul more stuff than a trike - the stability is about the same as a trike. [but different - rights are safer than a trike and lefts are worse than a trike]

it came down to this - never ride more than half a hour anywhere, or quit riding, or get three wheels.

it really is a drag getting older - i can still shovel all day - out worked a couple of 20 something athlete bike riders today - but can barely get out of the car when i get home..... have to use the door to get up - fine after three steps.. drag *sigh* :drink:

to

HDBaggerDave

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 09:31:39 PM »

You guys are great, what a wealth of knowledge and information.  Had I found this forum years ago I probably could have saved thousands of $$$ instead of my learn and re-learn as you go.  So far I'm thinkin trailer.  On are last trip lasting a little over a week, I actually UPS'd clothes and stuff to our destination and back.  Great idea unless your stuff ends up where you're not.  Thanks again guys.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 09:44:05 PM »

It's wrong to say you don't now it's there.  But you do barely know it's there.  Bike handling is slightly different. 

Good point, and just as in any towing, one needs to be consistently aware of its existence for merging, stopping, accelerating, etc..

The bike's fuel economy goes down a bit. For me about 5mpg on either bike.  The greater utility for trips of any distance, however, is well worth that trade off.  At least it has been for me.

:2vrolijk_21: ditto here, kinda forgot about that.

And be aware that your "friends" will begin thinking of you as their newly found pack horse  ;D

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2009, 09:48:35 PM »

And be aware that your "friends" will begin thinking of you as their newly found pack horse 

Amen to that brother.  You're everyone's buddy when you head out as a group.  On the plus side I've still got someone's sweatshirt left over from Hot Springs two summers ago :2vrolijk_21: .

SE-Randy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2009, 10:25:39 PM »

I pulled one on a regular basis back when I rode Goldwings, never knew it was back there most of the time.

Ok, I was wrong and should not have said you don't know it's there. The better wording is BARELY know it's there. Sheeze Louise one little slip and  :hanged::2vrolijk_21: Thanks Don, keep me straight.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2009, 10:31:40 PM »

Ok, I was wrong and should not have said you don't know it's there. The better wording is BARELY know it's there. Sheeze Louise one little slip and  :hanged::2vrolijk_21: Thanks Don, keep me straight.

Guilty conscience Randy.  I think we must have been typing at the same time up there ^ as I'd missed your post until now.  Even so.  Bad boy bad boy :whip: .       :huepfenlol2:

SE-Randy

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2009, 10:45:09 PM »

Sorry Don :nervous:
48 hours and 3 hours sleep, it wasn't you that set me straight, it was Trapperdog :2vrolijk_21: Think I 'll call it a night. :wall:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 24 queries.