Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Alternator rotor & spacer damage from loose comp nut  (Read 14044 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Alternator rotor & spacer damage from loose comp nut
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2012, 10:56:02 PM »

Yes crank shaft  :(  Found a mom and pop garage that was open late. They had a welder sitting in the corner and I fired it up and tack welded the nut on. I later found out my spacing was off and the nut would bottom out before tightening the pulley and rotor. Expensive lesson learned.

That was one of the problems going on in the 04-05 time frame when Harley changed the torque spec.  Also a problem that the torque change couldn't fix.  I personally shortened two comp nuts to gain the necessary clearance and know of two others.  That royally sucks.  It got you home.  But major suckage to have to deal with the repercussions.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2012, 10:59:01 PM »

I'm sure those interested will see this.

Don - is this the guy you were referring too? Looks like he changed his ebay user name.

http://myworld.ebay.com/jasonmotoelectrix?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

http://www.ebay.com/itm/45-AMP-ROTOR-HARLEY-DAVIDSON-1995-05-NEW-/360201121350?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53dda8ee46&vxp=mtr

It's the same guy Duane.  Have used any of his stuff in awhile now.  Though the rotors I did use all worked fine.  The little OEM here in town he gets the stuff from is still there and still shipping stuff all over for other people's name to go on the boxes.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2012, 10:48:27 AM »

OK, thanks. I don't get to check it for awhile, but the more I think of the ringing I heard the more I think it could be a rotor possibly freewheeling a bit.

So, I know the sprocket is torqued correctly, it is currently one of the Baker solid pieces. How do you tell though if the clamp load on the rotor is sufficient?

Seems some of you have had issues with the clearance. Using the 45 amp rotor eliminates the spacer.
Makes me wonder if there wasn't some other damage besides the shim being worn down to half thickness.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 20 queries.