Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: 09SERG, SE Heavy Breather, & Breather Bolts  (Read 6385 times)

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
09SERG, SE Heavy Breather, & Breather Bolts
« on: June 12, 2009, 01:03:18 PM »

Sorry for most likely re-hashing the subject but I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, ( I can lift heavy things though).

The breather bolts in my 09SERG WILL NOT work with the SE Heavy Breather, correct?

I've had 2 different people tell me they will and one of those was a dealer.  I've purchased the breather but would like to have the "stuff" when I tear into the intake.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: 09SERG, SE Heavy Breather, & Breather Bolts
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 03:02:26 PM »

Correct.  You'll need the stock bolts from the 96" RG, HD #29465-08.  They come as a pair..  If you search "breather bolts" in the SERG board, you'll read what happened to some of us.  If you use yours and run the motor, you'll puke oil all over the right side (been there).  Good luck.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Birdman

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 09:45:33 PM »

You need to change the bolts like Greg stated. I didn't and blew the O ring out of the bottom of one of my front push rod's. I had oil everywhere it was a mess. The instruction that come with the heavy breather tell you to use the stock bolts But DON'T.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 09:16:35 AM by Birdman »

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 12:47:28 PM »

I tell ya what,   this sure hasnt bit any of the dealers in my local area yet. Been calling around trying to find the bolts in stock to which I'll eventually tell the story of using the stock bolts on the SERG and so far I've had 3 tell me that I'll be fine using the stock bolts.  One even went back to ask a tech. According to one dealer, the p/n for the bolts on the SERG is 29267-08, which is obviously different from the 29465-08.

Anyone know the physical difference between the 2?

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 01:36:43 PM »

The difference is in the hole through the center of the bolts that lets the heads "breath" through them.  I can't recall which is which here at the office but I have some at home and will try to remember to take a picture.  The HD installation directions say use the "stock bolts" but is referring to the "stock" RG, not the SERG.  Birdman's post reminded me that when they dyno tuned mine the first time, I had some leakage at the push rod o ring as well.  They did not run the bike long enough at the tune to realize the breather bolt issue but the first ride I took (more than a few miles, the bike was a mess. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 02:25:30 PM »

So the stock breather bolts from an 08 or 09 should probably work,  would you agree?
I wish I could find a dealer that had these in stock but I've struck out so far.

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 03:34:40 PM »

I would check the part number from the '08 to be 100% sure but since the p[art number (HD #29465-08) has the "08" in it, I agree.  

Had a chance to take a picture.  These are the SERG bolts, P# 29267-08. You can see the hole at the end of the bolt on the right and the hole in the shaft on the left bolt. 
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 07:45:16 PM by GregKhougaz »

Sawyer Brown

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 08:41:19 PM »

Thanks for the pictures Greg.
I'd be willing to bet the farm that there are a lot of dealers installing this thing and re-using the SERG bolts.  I'm going to check with a well known performance shop builder tomorrow to see if he's aware.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 07:53:37 AM »

Aclass, be careful when running around telling mechanics that they are wrong, you will just make enemies. Lots of dealers don't like us here because we know more than they do with regards to the new bikes. Don't worry if it's in stockor not , just order it, the time wasted running around looking for one could be put towards the delivery.
What I do is just tell them the part number and order. use caution when they say "what's it for".
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 08:31:52 AM »

Aclass, be careful when running around telling mechanics that they are wrong, you will just make enemies. Lots of dealers don't like us here because we know more than they do with regards to the new bikes. Don't worry if it's in stockor not , just order it, the time wasted running around looking for one could be put towards the delivery.
What I do is just tell them the part number and order. use caution when they say "what's it for".

:2vrolijk_21:

Unfortunately all too true.  Some guy with 6 months experience on the parts desk or the service advisor's job will invariably try to tell you that you have been misinformed and that you must use Y even though you specifically said you want X.  After many attempts to enlighten such folks with the facts (just so they might stop misinforming other people), I've learned to just shut up when I hear the BS and tell them whatever they want to hear so long as I get the part I want.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 08:40:40 AM »

I totally understand that and am willing to "listen" and then discern.   It would just be nice to find one of my local dealers that experienced this issue first hand and would be able to fix me up.
This is exactly what makes sites likes these worth their weight in gold.

Iglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 09:02:37 AM »

I argued with the Service Manager, and two mechanics at the local dealer in Amarillo Texas, never did convince them.

If you look at that mount design carefully you will see that it cannot breathe with the stock bolts (breather holes are cut perpendicular to the bolt length).

I had a machine shop drill a pair of cap screws (length appropriate) for mine. The hole has to be through the length of the bolt (parallell, centered)

Make sure you get the right length, if you don't engage enough thread you will pull the female threads on the engine. I would not over torque these breather bolts.
The impossible just takes a little longer

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you're happy and you know it, Punch the Clown!!
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 05:32:42 PM »

I agree with not using the stock bolts.  Did tnot on mine and haven't had any troubles (just a little moisture after a hard ride and before the dyno tune).  Or you can use the stock bolts, run the bike till it pukes, then take it back to the dealer to change to the other bolts.  Then you'll be sure and your dealer will look like poo poo. 

Since we're talking about the heavy breather.  When you install the caps over the breather bolts, did you use one o-ring per cap or two?  The kit had 4 o-rings so I wondered if I was supposed to use 2 per cap.
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

JP

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEFB Sold
    • CVO2: 09 SERG o/b
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2009, 06:02:20 PM »

I agree with not using the stock bolts.  Did tnot on mine and haven't had any troubles (just a little moisture after a hard ride and before the dyno tune).  Or you can use the stock bolts, run the bike till it pukes, then take it back to the dealer to change to the other bolts.  Then you'll be sure and your dealer will look like poo poo.  

Since we're talking about the heavy breather.  When you install the caps over the breather bolts, did you use one o-ring per cap or two?  The kit had 4 o-rings so I wondered if I was supposed to use 2 per cap.

You should use all four o rings. That`s what i did. Two per cap, no problems here.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 03:38:47 PM by JP »

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you're happy and you know it, Punch the Clown!!
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 06:03:23 PM »

Gracias, now to try and get those caps off.  Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 20 queries.