Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Annoyed with MoCo over SERT  (Read 3120 times)

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Re: Annoyed with MoCo over SERT
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2009, 10:52:03 AM »

You're right about one thing steep,  it stinks that the Super SERT doesnt come with all the necessary fixings like the SERT did,  but in all fairness you really ought to do your homework on the SuperSERT and tuning.
It's nice to hear that your bike runs much better. 
Ride safe

Steep

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 11:15:41 AM »

Sorry man, but unless your dealer did some serious tuning you got ripped off.  Most likely they just did a before run, uploaded a canned map (takes 2 minutes, included on the CD), then did an after run.  $300 might be par at a dealer, I don't know, but it's still a rip-off.  It's a gouge & they take advantage of the fact that most people don't know a thing about the tuning process.  

Unless there's something new with the Super SERT, the map is not in the dongle.  All the dongle does (at least on the SERT) is give you access to the ECM (serial number matched from that point forward).  The map, to my knowledge, is on the PC.  It's a file, and can be saved to any media (CD, thumb drive, sent in an e-mail, etc).

Danny may not have known where the cat was on a CVO, and thought it was the same as every other 49 state Harley.  Either way he's wrong because it's not in the slip-ons.

The learning curve on the whole tuning thing is expensive.  These forums are great for ascertaining info before purchase.  Glad the bike runs well -- at least you got that much.   :2vrolijk_21:

They did a full mapping of the engine. Ten throttle positions, etc. I've had enough dynoing done to know what is going on. This is simply my first experience with the SERT. I will be following up on the archiving of the map.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 12:01:24 PM by Steep »

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2009, 11:50:47 AM »

OK, well you had me fooled!

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2009, 11:52:08 AM »

There is concesus about the original SERT - the map is definitely not in the dongle as it only allows you to communicate with your ECM.  I've not seen or used the new Super SERT so it may be different but I seriously doubt it.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2009, 03:46:35 PM »

The new "dongle" has built in memory for the data recording feature.  However, without the software and the instructions I guess we don't know for sure if that means you can also store the current map in that memory.  Not likely, but without the software or any instructions it's a little tough to tell.  Sounds like a stereotypical Harley dealer, sending someone off without the software and instructions, just so they can hold them hostage somewhere down the road.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2009, 04:09:30 PM »

These forums are great for ascertaining info before purchase.     :2vrolijk_21:

My point and assumption.

:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2009, 10:19:50 PM »

Nothing has been done here that cannot be corrected easily.

He has the dongle so he can hook up to a laptop. (still need to buy CD's)

He needs to bring a USB  stick (bring 2)in so the dealer can give him a copy of his map (this should not cost anything)

if he wanted to mess with the programming he would have had to buy the CD's anyway (they do not come with the program)

So as I see it no harm, no foul, the only thing I could criticize the dealer for, is why he charged for the dongle without selling the CD's.

Need both to make sense.
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2009, 11:59:09 PM »

So as I see it no harm, no foul, the only thing I could criticize the dealer for, is why he charged for the dongle without selling the CD's.

Need both to make sense.

I can't blame the dealer for this either.  The end user doesn't need the CD if he isn't going to touch the tuning file, and the dealer will need the dongle if he ever has to reinstall or upgrade/update the map.  The dealer can't hold the dongle for the user, that would be a nightmare.  The dealer should have, however, explained the map process to the user and given him an opportunity to get a copy of the map installed if it involved a dyno session and was not just a canned map.  Under the circumstances, I wonder if the dealer installed more than a canned map.  Surely the dealer isn't going to save a copy for the buyer.  And if this guy gets stuck out on the road with ECM problem he will need his dongle and a copy of the map to give to a tuner to get him back on the road.   
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2009, 07:02:44 PM »

I can't blame the dealer for this either.  The end user doesn't need the CD if he isn't going to touch the tuning file, and the dealer will need the dongle if he ever has to reinstall or upgrade/update the map.  The dealer can't hold the dongle for the user, that would be a nightmare.  The dealer should have, however, explained the map process to the user and given him an opportunity to get a copy of the map installed if it involved a dyno session and was not just a canned map.  Under the circumstances, I wonder if the dealer installed more than a canned map.  Surely the dealer isn't going to save a copy for the buyer.  And if this guy gets stuck out on the road with ECM problem he will need his dongle and a copy of the map to give to a tuner to get him back on the road.  

Let me try to clear up some mis-information.

1ST - the "dongle" /cable holds "no" information. it is only to attach computer. If people are calling the VCI box the dongle that is different. (cables do not come with software)

2ND -VCI box is the memory (small) and allows the computer interface. (only hardware that comes with program)

3rd - When you buy SEST you are buying the program only which marries to your ECM/VIN
   and cannot be copied or replicated to another ECM ( it is like microsoft software with 1 copy and done)

4th - anytime a dealer is paid to install a MAP (dyno'd or not not) they do keep a copy (would be really stupid not to keep a copy) and should be willing to give you a copy free (you have already paid for it).

It would be Smart to keep one copy with you if you do any traveling. (they can be emailed, but that takes more time) and keep a copy on your computer so that you can move it around if you need to.

5th Most riders are better served if they do not try to mess with the tuning themselves, hard to make changes and see the results without the help of a Dyno. (and damage can be done easily)

6th Canned maps are chit, (some can be quite good, but you were very lucky)
they serve the purpose of a starting point but that is all and a good canned map will save some time. But the point of purchasing this was not putting a canned map in, it was tuning that particular combination.

If I have any wrong information here please correct me

« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 07:04:49 PM by Keats »
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2009, 09:02:04 PM »

What I call the "dongle" is the Vehicle Communications Interface.  This is the device required for your computer to communicate with the ECM, and is the "key" that unlocks the ECM and gets married to the ECM.  As best I can tell, the big difference between the S/SERT and the original is that the VCI now has onboard memory and a neat little red button so you can hook it up and collect 15 minutes worth of real time data while riding.  Still haven't seen any of the experts come back with an answer as to whether or not that memory can be used to hold a copy of the current map.

What I can't figure out from the description in the catalog is whether the basic software comes with the kit or not.  I was under the impression the kit consisted of the basic program and the VCI, and that the optional CD was just the latest canned maps and software updates.  Is this correct, or am I totally confused again?  If the software is part of the tuner, then our original poster still didn't get what he paid for if he only received the VCI.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2009, 09:43:27 PM »

oK,

The VCI / Dongle(where did that word come from) is part of the software purchase

You get nothing you can touch other than the VCI box.

What would make you Think that the software was not loaded if you had the VCI? they come together.

as far as the VCI is the key to open the ECM, I am not sure that is true, they do not look unique. I thought the Software was the key.

The VCI is just the port, nothing else

Formally FLHTCUSE3

fourstar

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO2: 04 FLSTCI
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2009, 10:50:09 PM »

oK,

as far as the VCI is the key to open the ECM, I am not sure that is true, they do not look unique. I thought the Software was the key.

The VCI/Dongle has an EPROM that stores the VIN of the motorcycle it is "married" to.  The software facilitates the transfer of data between the ECM and the computer via the VCI/Dongle, as long as the software determines that the VIN info matches.  That is the key to the ECM.  
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 10:56:11 PM by fourstar »
“Red! I want red, there's no substitute for red!”
                                                             -Sammy Hagar

Mikey

• 2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Get the gold, make the rules!

• CVO1: FLHRSEi2 2003
    • CVO2: FLTRUSE 2015
    • Classic Muscle Bikes
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2009, 12:54:49 AM »

I have heard the VCI is also pass word protected? To protect the tuner / dealer. Not sure but some one here should know.
Mikey
GET THE GOLD, MAKE THE RULES!
2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
Limited Edition 100th Anniversary
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/gallery/452_21_04_11_11_12_33.jpg

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2009, 09:01:40 AM »

oK,

The VCI / Dongle(where did that word come from) is part of the software purchase

You get nothing you can touch other than the VCI box.

What would make you Think that the software was not loaded if you had the VCI? they come together.

Not trying to be disagreeable, but the VCI isn't just a port.  For all intents and purposes, the VCI is the S/SERT because without it you cannot unlock the ECM and modify any settings or load a new map.  The exterior of the VCI is indeed identical to all the other S/SERT's out there, but please trust me when I say that you can't mix them around and then think you will be able to unlock your ECM again.  If you lose your VCI, you will need to purchase another $459 S/SERT if you want to do any further tuning. 

The software I mentioned isn't the basic stuff in the VCI that unlocks the ECM and stores the VIN, it is the program that you install on your computer, which then lets you view, modify, save, and load maps.  That was provided on CD as part of the SERT kit in the past, along with the interface device (and the cables on the original version).  Without the program, you need to find someone (like that "friendly" dealer) with the program to make any future changes, using your "married" VCI as the interface between the computer program and your ECM. 

Jerry

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2009, 09:46:30 AM »

I carry my map on a thumb drive, along with the SERT.

I have my map in a folder on my gmail account and a flash drive 
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 25 queries.