Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: how much for a 1000 mile service?  (Read 4278 times)

hdctss

• Senior CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE, 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - both traded
    • CVO3: 2009 FLHTCUSE4, 2007 FLHTCUSE2 - both traded
how much for a 1000 mile service?
« on: June 30, 2009, 02:34:00 PM »

what is the going rate at your dealership for a 1K service?

Mine is $290.00
2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary Odyssey Blue
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire with Dragontail Graphics (traded)
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Silver/Slate and Titanium (traded)
2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Blue (traded)
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red (traded)

RYANCVO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 O/B SE ROADGLIDE
Re: how much for a 1000 mile service?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 02:50:57 PM »

drove 50 miles, think i paid like 250 but my local dealer charges about 340

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 03:22:56 PM »

Both of those are expensive oil changes. Did you look in the owners manual at what HD recommends for 1000 miles? Change the fluids and check, this check that. $250 + for fluid change, wouldn't pay that for a any vehicle. Mine was $78.90 inc tax and  1 1/2 hr of my useless time.

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 03:53:46 PM »

DW, make that a sloppily done oil change, I have caught several dealers over the years skipping the primary and trans on several of my friends bikes, a little clear nail polish will show if the drain plugs have been turned.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 05:02:04 PM »

We've beaten this subject to death on several occasions in the past, but I'm always game to beat a dead horse now and then.

Even if you buy the most premium of fluids, you should only have about $100 tied up in fluids.  Add in another $13-$15 for an oil filter, and less than $1 for a few drain plug O-rings.  Total materials less than $120.  Now, throw in about an hour of labor to change the fluids and do the basic "inspections" that many/most dealerships don't actually do.  That's anywhere from $60 to $100 depending on the labor rate in your neck of the woods.  On average, you're looking at roughly $200 as a truly fair price for the service.  Now go out and start checking those dealer menu board prices, you'll likely find anything from $250 to $400 listed for the 1k service, and an extra $100-$200 for the 10k and 20k services due to the few extra items at those intervals.

I made note of any changes here locally when Harley eliminated the primary chain inspection (automatic tensioner eliminated that requirement).  Not a single place I've visited has dropped the price for the service even though the latest bikes have a shorter list of required adjustments and inspections, including the elimination of the primary adjustment.

The best part of the whole process is that after arranging to drop off your bike and getting a ride back home, you get to do it all over again to come back to pick the bike up when it's finished.  At that time, if your experience is typical of the average Harley customer, you will find the bike isn't quite ready yet and it's filthy.  When you finally get it home and look things over, you will find some new scratches.  Later on you will suspect that none of those little inspections and adjustments were actually done, since the throttle grip still sticks and the bag lid hinges squeak and the drive belt has about an inch of play.

Everyone who rides a Harley owes it to themselves to go out and buy a shop manual and at least the basic tools required to change their own fluids and do the minor adjustments and inspections.  The first service you do yourself will pay for the manual and tools, and from that point on you will save over 50% of the average price from the dealers.  And here is the clincher.  If you do it yourself, you will finally be able to know for a fact that all the fluids really got changed and all the little adjustments and inspections were actually done.  And for those who don't feel their mechanical skills are good enough to deal with this stuff, here's the next best suggestion.  Find a good reputable independent shop and have them do the service.  The odds are you will get someone on the job who has actually been working on bikes for more than a month, and who will also still be there when you come back the next time.  And the prices will normally be more realistic as well.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

KLOAV8

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 05:17:18 PM »

I've got a very good dealer, I guess. No charge for the 1K service and the bike is washed and dried after every service. My SEUC is the third bike I've purchased there (in two years). I'm very pleased with these guys.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 04:48:46 PM »

I think my dealer is $325 or more now and they don't even charge you for the extra scratches and dents and dirt when they give back your bike.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 05:25:27 AM »

I changed the oil on a friends bike last nite. took me 1 hour, that's including a beer. he uses Amsoil in all holes, cost him 80 bucks for Mat, and a bottle of fine Kentucky windage for me.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 06:15:23 AM »

I changed the oil on a friends bike last nite. took me 1 hour, that's including a beer. he uses Amsoil in all holes, cost him 80 bucks for Mat, and a bottle of fine Kentucky windage for me.

So what you are saying is it would be cheaper for me to ride to TN and have you change my oil than taking it in locally in PA.  Cool.  When can you schedule me in?

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 07:39:15 AM »

So what you are saying is it would be cheaper for me to ride to TN and have you change my oil than taking it in locally in PA.  Cool.  When can you schedule me in?
got an opening on bay # 1
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Tirpitz

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2014 Ultra Limited
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 08:37:42 AM »

Most Dealers in Southern Illinois do the first service for free.  I have the Prepay Maintenance thur my Dealer, Black Diamond in Marion, IL. and all my services have been prepaid.  They change oil every 2500 miles and all fluids every 5000 miles.  Just got the 15000 mile service done on my 08 Ultra, and they changed the air filter and plugs and that was part of the maintenance program so I did not pay extra.  I did have to pay for new rear brake pads + labor, $106.00.  The Prepay Maintenance Plan cost $1995.00 for three years unlimited miles.  I have used $1100.00 of the plan and by the end of this riding season I will be in the Dealers pocket on services and my PPM Plan does not run out until April 2011, at which time I will renew the plan or if I trade bikes I will purchase a new plan, also the plan is transferable to a new owner if I decide to sell the bike.  I have then use Dino oil, but they will put in Syn 3 if you want and it costs nothing more.  Anybody else using a Prepaid Maintenance Plan?   
Everyone crashes. Some get back on, Some don't, Some can't.
Respect the person who has seen the dark side of motorcycling and
lived, and still rides.

dp38sc

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2008 BIG DOG
    • CVO3: 2008 Harley Softail Custom
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 07:51:18 PM »

My dealer don't offer a prepaid plan, I wish they did, if you ride a lot of miles which most of us do, that is a great price for service at a dealer

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 08:17:09 PM »

Most Dealers in Southern Illinois do the first service for free.  I have the Prepay Maintenance thur my Dealer, Black Diamond in Marion, IL. and all my services have been prepaid.  They change oil every 2500 miles and all fluids every 5000 miles.  Just got the 15000 mile service done on my 08 Ultra, and they changed the air filter and plugs and that was part of the maintenance program so I did not pay extra.  I did have to pay for new rear brake pads + labor, $106.00.  The Prepay Maintenance Plan cost $1995.00 for three years unlimited miles.  I have used $1100.00 of the plan and by the end of this riding season I will be in the Dealers pocket on services and my PPM Plan does not run out until April 2011, at which time I will renew the plan or if I trade bikes I will purchase a new plan, also the plan is transferable to a new owner if I decide to sell the bike.  I have then use Dino oil, but they will put in Syn 3 if you want and it costs nothing more.  Anybody else using a Prepaid Maintenance Plan?   

Tirpitz, I can understand the 2500 mile oil change since you're using dino oil, but what interval do they use for synthetic?  If it's still 2500 miles , it's not necessary and it's wasteful of resources.  Same for the primary and trans intervals, why change them two to four times as often as needed and specified in the Harley maintenance schedule?  It looks like those intervals were set up prior to 2007 and never got updated for the newer models or for synthetic lubes.

I've never been exposed to one of these plans (truth be told, I wasn't even aware anyone was selling them), so I'm just looking for some insight.  I figure it costs me about $85-$90 to do my own service, so it would take at least 20 intervals for this sort of thing to break even for me.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Tirpitz

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2014 Ultra Limited
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 08:53:23 PM »

grc, this is how the dealer has it set up.  They did tell me that they recommend using Syn 3 for people who do not come in and get their oil changed when they are suppose to.  I am 56 and really have no good place at home to do the fluid changes, if I did I would be using Redline products in all three holes, plus they do check the bike over and the air filter and spark plugs that was replaced was part of the plan.  And as much as I like to ride and not have to worry about anything the plan is a good deal for me.  The dealership makes money off the plan because most riders will never reach the $1995.00 in three years except for maybe 2% of those who buy the plan.  And as I said the plan is transferable and adds value to your bike as long as the person who buys it lives close enough to use it.  And another thing when you bring your bike in and they are working on it you have time to shop  for more stuff so it is a win, win for the dealer.  There is another dealer 40 miles away in Mt. Vernon, IL who also has a prepaid maintenance plan, so if you are going to compete you have to match other dealers in the area.  I have also read that if you are not going to use Syn oil, you should change it often, and every 2500 for engine oil and every 5000 for the primary and transmission is often. 
Everyone crashes. Some get back on, Some don't, Some can't.
Respect the person who has seen the dark side of motorcycling and
lived, and still rides.

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 11:37:57 PM »

The prepaid maintenance plan is good for the dealer, no good for anyone else. Local dealer offered it to me when I was signing the papers, then laughed when I didn't answer then smiled and said "thought you were to smart for that" and went on. Get a calculator guys, this is crazy. $2000 for service? What were you thinking?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 24 queries.