Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: another bluetooth question  (Read 2698 times)

sgoharley

another bluetooth question
« on: July 02, 2009, 05:53:39 PM »

I have an 09 SE Ultra. I want to hook up a bluetooth phone to my headset. what type of headset do i need? will it work with my stock radio? can i buy a new headset that will work with my phone and the harley radio setup. to be able to use the intercom also would be a great plus.  thanks for your help.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
Re: another bluetooth question
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 12:30:55 AM »

I have an 09 SE Ultra. I want to hook up a bluetooth phone to my headset. what type of headset do i need? will it work with my stock radio? can i buy a new headset that will work with my phone and the harley radio setup. to be able to use the intercom also would be a great plus.  thanks for your help.
We need a little more information. Are you using a Garmin GPS product? If so, which one? The Bluetooth technology must reside in two components. One being your cell phone and another to communicate with the bike. HD made a Bluetooth module p/n 76408-06 that has since been discontinued, that was a direct link to the stock Harmon Kardon radio. Some are available on eBay every once in awhile.

You can check this link for alternatives to the HD BT module. Jim Biss' seems to work well for others using a Zumo at an inexpensive cost.

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 07:02:26 AM »

You do not need to buy a new helmet unless you want to. As long as you have a headset that is made for the Harley you have. If the headset works with your audio system you are OK. If you have the stock Harley headset you may want to consider replacing your helmet speakers with J&M replacement speakers. J&M helmet speakers for about $60.00 will give you a 100% boost in audio quality, stock Harley helmet speakers are CRAP!

To use my product you will need a GPS with 3 capabilities:

1). Bluetooth
2). A audio output jack
3) A microphone input jack

Any GPS with these 3 capabilities will work.

There are other alternatives to achieve the same thing. Bluetooth helmet, Bluetooth dongle is one another is try to find the Harley Bluetooth Box they are expensive and hard to find but they have been available on Ebay from time to time and someone here may have one they will sell you.

Ride It Like You Are Retired

sgoharley

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 02:26:01 AM »

thanks for the input. i have a stock HD radio on my SE Ultra. i have the HD helmet speakers that came with it. i am asking what i would need to buy to have bluetooth. i have gps built into the bike so dont want to by a zumo. is there another way to get bluetooth? J&M or other manufacturer?

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 07:27:29 AM »

If you are talking about the built in GPS for the radio, after awhile you may want to upgrade to a Zumo. It is not the best GPS system.

As far as making a phone call you can check with Kennedy or J&M. Be prepared to spend some $$$. For instance if you want to go with J&M and get rid of the cord you could buy all 3 of these:

JBLU-DNG03  Dongle $349.00
HS-JBLU-DNG03-CA07 Harness Connection Cable $44.00
HS-BLU277EDR-OF EDR Bluetooth Clamp-on Headset $300.00

You can get away for about $400.00 with Kennedy

It all depends on what you want and how much $$$ you want to spend.As far as getting Radar alerts and such you can look at a Mixit.

Hope this helps you.
Ride It Like You Are Retired

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 11:56:55 PM »

I need to replace my Palm 755P with another PDA phone and curious if anyone knows if the Palm Pre or the Blackberry Storm will pair with Harley's Bluetooth module. Or can anyone suggest any PDA phone that pairs nice with Harley's BT module? i.e. the I-Phone??? :-\

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 02:53:23 AM »

I need to replace my Palm 755P with another PDA phone and curious if anyone knows if the Palm Pre or the Blackberry Storm will pair with Harley's Bluetooth module. Or can anyone suggest any PDA phone that pairs nice with Harley's BT module? i.e. the I-Phone??? :-\

It must be something in the air! My 755 is on it's last leg. I too am torn between the Pre & the BBTour. Neither company would allow me to take  a phone outside to try on the bike.  >:(

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 05:05:53 PM »

It must be something in the air! My 755 is on it's last leg. I too am torn between the Pre & the BBTour. Neither company would allow me to take  a phone outside to try on the bike.  >:(

I drooped mine getting out of my wife's car last Friday. It works but barley can read passed the cracked screen  :-\ I loved the way the  755 paired to the Harley BT system. The 755 is still available and there is a Palm Pro that works like the 755. The Sprint rep said the Palm Pro uses the new Bluetooth technology, not sure if that is good or bad for the HD BT. Sometime this week I'm going to get my bike parked in front of one of the Sprint stores and see if i can pair these phones to the HD BT. If i get anything figured out, I'll let you know..  :2vrolijk_21:

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 11:30:11 AM »

I drooped mine getting out of my wife's car last Friday. It works but barley can read passed the cracked screen  :-\ I loved the way the  755 paired to the Harley BT system. The 755 is still available and there is a Palm Pro that works like the 755. The Sprint rep said the Palm Pro uses the new Bluetooth technology, not sure if that is good or bad for the HD BT. Sometime this week I'm going to get my bike parked in front of one of the Sprint stores and see if i can pair these phones to the HD BT. If i get anything figured out, I'll let you know..  :2vrolijk_21:

Well, what was the verdict with the Pre & BB? I'm seriously considering buying the BB Tour tomorrow. It sure would be nice if it links up with our radios.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 04:16:42 PM »

Well, what was the verdict with the Pre & BB? I'm seriously considering buying the BB Tour tomorrow. It sure would be nice if it links up with our radios.

I've got the day off tomorrow so plan on getting it figured out then. A friend has the Blackberry Storm and it did not pair.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 08:31:40 PM »

I've got the day off tomorrow so plan on getting it figured out then. A friend has the Blackberry Storm and it did not pair.

Say it ain't so! I was all set to go get a Tour tomorrow. This would be a deal breaker. I'll buy a used 755p on eBay before I go without my HD module! !!!

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 12:44:20 PM »

Reserved optimism. I went to the local Alltel (now Verizon) store and begged and pleaded to allow me to try the BB Tour outside with my bike. The store manager opened a brand new Tour and walked out to the bike with me. Sure enough, it synced!!!  :orange: I don't know how much information / data will communicate as the phone was new and only had one number in memory (Verizon Global Services) but it appeared on my Harmon Kardon screen! Now for the bad news (for me anyway)... With the switch from Alltel to Verizon, not all of the cell towers in my area have been converted, so "jumping ship" to a "new" carrier will mean I loose coverage  until the Alltel towers are converted. Looks like I may be holding onto the 755 for a few more weeks.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 06:29:02 PM »

Well, I pulled the plug and just bought the Blackberry Tour. I've only got two contacts in the phone right now but both appear on the HK radio. It seems that all my contacts will be listed which may not be so hot as I probably have 400+ numbers in the old phone. So far, so good.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 11:00:50 PM »

Well, I pulled the plug and just bought the Blackberry Tour. I've only got two contacts in the phone right now but both appear on the HK radio. It seems that all my contacts will be listed which may not be so hot as I probably have 400+ numbers in the old phone. So far, so good.

Hey Hard

I spent some time at the Sprint Store today, was able to pair the Blackberry Storm, The Treo Pro, The Centro and the HTC Pro. All phones lacked a contact list but worked fine with the single contact i programed. Here is the neat thing you may like. the HTC Pro appears to work with the voice control. So you can use the Voice prompts on the HD BT. I'm going back tomorrow to meet with another Sprint Salesmen that has this phone. We are going to pair his phone up and see what this phone will do with the HDBT. Right now if his phone pairs and works out, i am going to upgrade to that phone, $399, my second choice is the Tour or Treo Pro.. I'm torn between those two.  :-\ The neat deal with the Centro though, you can tether it to a laptop as a modem and dial into the WEB. We thought the Tour did this but Blackberry's web site does not confirm this. Do you know?  :nixweiss:

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 12:40:07 AM »

Hey Hard

I spent some time at the Sprint Store today, was able to pair the Blackberry Storm, The Treo Pro, The Centro and the HTC Pro. All phones lacked a contact list but worked fine with the single contact i programed. Here is the neat thing you may like. the HTC Pro appears to work with the voice control. So you can use the Voice prompts on the HD BT. I'm going back tomorrow to meet with another Sprint Salesmen that has this phone. We are going to pair his phone up and see what this phone will do with the HDBT. Right now if his phone pairs and works out, i am going to upgrade to that phone, $399, my second choice is the Tour or Treo Pro.. I'm torn between those two.  :-\ The neat deal with the Centro though, you can tether it to a laptop as a modem and dial into the WEB. We thought the Tour did this but Blackberry's web site does not confirm this. Do you know?  :nixweiss:

Sprint's new phone and claim to fame is the Palm Pre. It will NOT tether. I have the BB Tour now and it WILL tether (major reason for purchase also). The Storm is being phased out and a new Storm II will be available 4th Q '09. I was torn between the Pre & Tour. The final decision was carriers and I stuck with Verizon as the whole family is with them (no charge for M2M calls).

Hope this helps some.  ;D
AJ
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 20 queries.