Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: 09 ultra running hot...exhaust question  (Read 4282 times)

1jeep

• Full CVO Member
09 ultra running hot...exhaust question
« on: July 24, 2009, 08:43:04 AM »

my 09 ultra cvo is bone stock and i know i need to ditch the head pipe, but i would like to keep the stock mufflers as they are quiet. After my previous journey of 1400 miles in 5 days i know this bike has a heat issue and i spent many imes listening to it knock and ping in traffic.

So could i change the cat out keep the stock mufflers and have it tuned? or do i need to change the mufflers also? i am not looking for huge hp increases but more of a better running quiet bike. the only choice i know of for mufflers would be V&H monster ovals like i had on my previous street glide. i dont want loud pipes as i do average 300-500 mile days and like to hear the radio.

opinions and infomation is very much welcome here.....thanks.

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
Re: 09 ultra running hot...exhaust question
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 09:31:33 AM »

for a little over a $100.00 your muffler problem is solved, Fullsac 1.75 baffles have a much better tone then OEM and are not much louder at cruise speeds, its a simple swap and you keep the OEM mufflers and EPA stamp. lots of info available. For what its worth, if you have access to a 1.6 core drill you don't need to remove anything other then the right muffler and a cored Cat IMHO runs just as good at 4,000 rpms as a totally gutted one
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=39099.0
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 09:56:51 AM by dartman »

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 11:02:46 AM »

my 09 ultra cvo is bone stock and i know i need to ditch the head pipe, but i would like to keep the stock mufflers as they are quiet. After my previous journey of 1400 miles in 5 days i know this bike has a heat issue and i spent many imes listening to it knock and ping in traffic.

So could i change the cat out keep the stock mufflers and have it tuned? or do i need to change the mufflers also? i am not looking for huge hp increases but more of a better running quiet bike. the only choice i know of for mufflers would be V&H monster ovals like i had on my previous street glide. i dont want loud pipes as i do average 300-500 mile days and like to hear the radio.

opinions and infomation is very much welcome here.....thanks.
Non-cat head pipe
Fullsac 1.75 or 2 inch muffler cores
TTS mastertune, with  Steve's dyno map

Results: better power and  cooler running.
Yep, just my opinion, but, after 25k miles, I like this setup.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 07:15:27 PM by HOGMIKE »
HOGMIKE

Sioux City Bob

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 11:44:46 AM »

Before I took delivery of my 08 SE Ultra I had a Race Tuner put in and had the fuel/air mix changed from 14.7 to 13.5.  I also had a K&n air filter but left the exhaust stock.  Mine has never run hot.  I believe that you have to change the lean air fuel ratio to get these engines to run cooler.

1jeep

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 09:24:05 AM »

the bike is at the dealer and they did agree that it shouldnt be overheating like i described. what is even more frustrating is while mine was overheating on the last trip my buddy who has an 02 road king with only pipes changed ran fine.

if they cant find anything i will change the head pipe and add a race tuner. I have also been looking at pipes by BUB that are stealth and have an epa rating, not sure if they would be any better than the stock cvo pipes?

gg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Orange & Black
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 (Traded for 09 CUSE4) CUSE4 Sold 2012
    • CVO3: FXSTDSEI/ FLHRSEI2 (SOLD 2005)
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 09:29:22 PM »

1Jeep, get TTS Mastertune product instead of the HD SERT product. Easy install and probably less $$.

OhioDave

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 09:44:47 PM »

Non-cat head pipe
Fullsac 1.75 or 2 inch muffler cores
TTS mastertune, with  Steve's dyno map

Results: better power and  cooler running.
Yep, just my opinion, but, after 25k miles, I like this setup.

Agreed....looks stock, sounds better but not loud, and runs like a raped ape !

1jeep

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 07:57:24 AM »

Thanks guys.

As soon as i get the bike back from the dealer i will be doing the fulsac muffler, i also have the service guy at my dealer trying to find me a take off head pipe without a cat. I have been very hesistant to do an exhaust because in Ma they are cracking down hard on loud pipes.

1jeep

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 11:23:58 AM »

the dealer just called me to tell me my bike is ready....so i ask the quiestion of what was the problem? Yup, they couldnt find anything wrong. I told them to keep looking!

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 04:03:00 PM »

:huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

I agree.  Go with the Fullsac's and buy a Stage 1 AC.  I use the PC V with autotune for the last 8,000 miles and love it.  Purchased from Fuel Moto and would not change.  I have had the SERT and the TMAX.  Never would buy a SERT again.

I understand that a lot of bikes have the Mastertune TTS and are very satisfied.  Alos, the brand new for 2010 Pro SERT is suppose to be better.  I like the WB sensors for the PC V.  No dyno needed and the bike will run great at high temps, high altitude, high humidity, gas variations etc.  Over 8,000 miles in four months and over 41 mpg.  Runs great and it runs cool.

:coolblue: :coolblue:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

Fullsac Performance

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Never ride with a Halfsac! Insist on Fullsac Perf!
    • AZ

• Fullsac Performance
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 08:33:57 PM »

the dealer just called me to tell me my bike is ready....so i ask the quiestion of what was the problem? Yup, they couldnt find anything wrong. I told them to keep looking!

The dealer couldn't locate the problem? Your kidding? Lol.. Let me help. You need to kill the Cat!

We have non cat exchange headpipes. No downtime! 100 bucks. 150.00 core charge refundable when core is returned in our box.
Can life get any easier?

Steve
Steve@fullsac.com  www.fullsac.com
Never argue with idiots. They will beat you with experience.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 12:32:25 AM »

1jeep
I have the cat removed and 1.75 fulsacs and think it is perfect as far as not too loud.  I ride with another guy who has monster ovals and it too sounds great but side by side his is definitely louder with the MO's than mine with the 1.75 fulsacs.

If I were starting over I would do the full setup with Steve Fulsac.  He will sell you the TTS with the proper maps so your bike will run cool.  I bought an HD SERT and had the local HD dealer dyno tune it.  Not sure how good my tune is because the rear cylinder still shuts down more than I think it should.  Fulsac has a proven setup that many here are happy with.  Get rid of the cat, 1.75 cores and use the Fulsac TTS tune and you can be listening to your stereo, looking and riding cool.

guppytrash

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 05:51:42 AM »

for a little over a $100.00 your muffler problem is solved, Fullsac 1.75 baffles have a much better tone then OEM and are not much louder at cruise speeds, its a simple swap and you keep the OEM mufflers and EPA stamp. lots of info available. For what its worth, if you have access to a 1.6 core drill you don't need to remove anything other then the right muffler and a cored Cat IMHO runs just as good at 4,000 rpms as a totally gutted one
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=39099.0

Removing the right muffler and drilling gets rid of part of the CAT, but I thought that somewhere it was concluded that removal of the rest of the CAT was necessary for full performance gains.  Although there was a small gap in front of the lower portion of the CAT where the exhaust is able to pass around the lower portion of the CAT, isn't that still stifling the system to some, maybe less than seat-of-the-pants noticeable, extent?  Dartman, you seem to have an awful lot of knowledge on exhaust systems, so that's why I'm throwing this back to you to see what your conclusions were on this issue.  From what you said above, I'm guessing that you aren't convinced that there's much worth in removing the rest of the CAT.  I recall being a little disappointed when I removed the upper CAT, only to find out there was more to it, but then ended up changing to the D&D 2-1 system, which made it a non-issue for me.

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 07:39:51 AM »

Hi 1abastarsmda,

Im sure that during a full bore Dyno Run  You would see a slight HP gain by removing the entire unit, but IMHO thrashing those hugh pistons around at 5,800 rpms just makes a lot of noise, My SERG with the CAT cored, A tuner and 1.75 FS baffles runs great, Ive been fiddling with mufflers for over 50 yrs and have found that for my style riding less is more. My bike pulls away from a couple of friends with an 07 and an 08 with no Cats and Monster Ovals, one has tru Duals the other the old style head pipes, I attribute that to the lower gearing on the 09. When the 09s came out I already had all the equiptment necessary for a simple removal with a core drill. If I had needed to buy the equiptment to do the job I would have probably opted for a full removal,

1jeep

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 08:16:19 AM »

The dealer couldn't locate the problem? Your kidding? Lol.. Let me help. You need to kill the Cat!

We have non cat exchange headpipes. No downtime! 100 bucks. 150.00 core charge refundable when core is returned in our box.
Can life get any easier?

Steve

I wish i was joking! Tomorrow will be 2 weeks and no resolution, they have had a HD rep look at the bike and it is now torn down. I am very close to telling them dump the cat, install a race tuner and dyno it. Everything i read it is related to the cat although the dealer and the HD rep rode the bike and agreed that there is an issue and it is running very hot. I really feel HD should pay to replace/eliminate the cat, after $35k on a purchase it shouldnt be the consumer paying to make it work properly.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 20 queries.