Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: First Impressions after 150 miles on my new 2010 FLHTCUSE5  (Read 16593 times)

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
Re: First Impressions after 150 miles on my new 2010 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 04:55:51 AM »

I went for a Corbin Classic Solo plus pillion but have another 4 weeks to wait for it, so I can't tell you if and how I like it yet  ;)

Any particular reason you went with the Corbin? It doesn't look to be a lower profile. Are you expecting more comfort?

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 05:33:01 AM »

3:

- first: I wanted the solo plus pillion-solution for driving solo without tour-pack

- second: Sundowner Solo wich I loved on my Road Kings is still not availliable for 08 up models

- third: they promised the seat in fact to be smaller towards the tank and lower, so I expect it to help with my unduly short legs  ;)

Best option of course would be to visit the factory and have the seat customized exactly to your measures, but it's just a little out of reach from Dresden, Germany  ;D

Wait 4 weeks, than I'll tell you if it was a waste of money or a good investment ...
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 06:10:56 AM »

That's a good question. I know I can't get the same riding position I currently have on my fatboy (nor do I want the exact  same position given that this is a touring bike), but right now, I really feel like I'm sitting "on the bike" instead of "down in it". I don't know if that makes sense but I prefer the feeling of being down within the CoG of the bike instead of on top of it. I probably could achieve some of the lower position by switching out the seat but it'll still be higher that a normal SG and 2" higher than the SESG.

That's my motivation for lowering. Thoughts?

First, that was a very nice initial writeup.  As far as lowering your bike, like you said, you only have 150 miles on it thus far.  You have just changed to a dramatically different bike.  Before digging too far into the lowering concept, ride it a bit more and make sure that you aren't comfortable with it the way it is, before making that change.  It sounds like you aren't on the short side, so it doesn't sound like your motivation has anything to do with planting your feet on the ground.  If you still don't like the feel after 3 or 4 more rides on it, then explore your options.  Congrats on the new bike.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 06:56:42 AM »

First, that was a very nice initial writeup.  As far as lowering your bike, like you said, you only have 150 miles on it thus far.  You have just changed to a dramatically different bike.  Before digging too far into the lowering concept, ride it a bit more and make sure that you aren't comfortable with it the way it is, before making that change.  It sounds like you aren't on the short side, so it doesn't sound like your motivation has anything to do with planting your feet on the ground.  If you still don't like the feel after 3 or 4 more rides on it, then explore your options.  Congrats on the new bike.

Since I'm 6"4" my feet on the ground isn't an issue. It's more like I want my butt closer to the ground while riding. As you said, more time in the saddle will be needed to make a good decision about riding height. Thanks again for the advice.

9 1/2 Beers

• Blu
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 (ZIGGY) Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue
    • CVO2: 2022 Ultra Limited FLHTK Reef Blue / Vivid Black
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 10:21:53 AM »

congrates on your new scooter  :2vrolijk_21:
"Let the road go on forever and the party never end "

T MAC

• Elite CVO Member
  • FREEDOM

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 - B/O
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009, 12:42:38 AM »

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW BIKE :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

I have not seen an Ultra yet - I am picking up a rental bike Saturday in Seattle my brother is coming out from NC and I am getting a bike for him, we are heading out on a 3 day trip.  I hope they have one for me to look at.  Thanks for the write up.  Keep us updated on the mods.

I second what Don (2Lane) said the Bitubos and Fork upgrade are well worth the money.  A Hawg wired system will solve your radio and amp issues also well worth the money.

I also agree with Kraut - I chose to buy a touring seat and chose a one piece when I first got the bike and bought a new seat.  Then I  made my tourpak detachable and I bought a solo seat with passenger pillion.  I would have been happier and saved myself some money if I would have purchased the solo and pillion to begin with.  I like the solo look and the ease of adding the pillion.  I purchased a Corbin - love the seat.  I recently bought a Mustang it is a good seat but Corbin is the one for me so I just bought another Corbin.   
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2009, 08:45:52 AM »

Quick update on the mods for my FLHTCUSE5: Ground out the welds in the factory baffles and made them removeable. After grinding with a dremel and various shaped grinding stones, I removed the baffles. If it helps others, I did 95% of the grinding while the mufflers were attached to the bike (after removing the tips). Its a somewhat tedious and delicate job but if you go slow, it works quite well. Once I ground the welds about 95%, I dropped the cans off the bike, removed the heat shields and finished the last bit of grinding with an overhead light and holding the cans between my knees.

Then I dropped the cans onto the tip of the baffle against a piece of carpet on concrete. The welds broke, I did a little more cleaning up of the weld remains and then took a metal rod from the inlet side of the can and hammered the baffles out. Once the baffles were out, I cleaned up any weld remains inside the muffler and along the edge of the baffle.

I then drilled a .25" hole in the bottom of the muffler at 1 3/8" from the muffler end centered on the bottom. I then re-inserted the stock baffle back into the muffler. Once the baffle was back inside the muffler, I aligned the edge of baffle with my newly drilled hole. I then drilled with my .25" bit through the new muffler hole and then through the edge of the baffle that touches the wall of the muffler through the new muffler hole I drilled.

I took a SS .25" x .50" button head allen bolt from the outside and placed a SS lock washer and nut on the inside. It now looks like it came that way from the factory. Now I have removeable baffles.

I have on order a set of CycleShack Performance baffles to try them out (about $55). If I don't like the sound, I'll switch out to a 2.25 Fullsac. This is all in prep for the engine work ahead.

Last little step was activating XM radio...quite nice.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 11:50:35 AM by Heatwave »

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2009, 08:48:28 AM »

Here's the view from under the muffler.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2009, 08:55:45 AM »

Oh and BTW...here's the bike....
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 03:39:08 PM by Heatwave »

Sierramadre

• Elite CVO Member
  • "Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2009, 09:05:35 AM »

Who's bracket did you use for relocating the license plate below the tail light? I currently have an HD layback license plate frame I was planning to use but I like your placement better. Which bag did the amp go into and did you ask to have the amp placed at the front of the bag or did the dealer decide to place it there versus along the inside wall of the bag?
[/quote]

It's a Kuryakyn curved license plate and turn signal bar.  I discussed the options for relocating the amp with the tech at the dealership and though that was the best.  Other options were; eliminating it, replacing it with a smaller amp and relocating it undr the fairing, or mounting it between the saddlebag and the fender.

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2009, 05:53:38 PM »

The first thing I did was have the handle bars turned up.  Felt like I was leaning forward.  Took the dealer all of 15 minutes.  There is a couple of inches of play before you stress the cables.  I also moved my backrest location and now find it very comfortable.  Congratulations and enjoy your new ride.
TTS Mastertune - Doc's Performance Tuning
Supertrapp 2:1 Supermeg
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
LED Headlight & Driving Lights from HD

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2009, 06:16:59 PM »

The first thing I did was have the handle bars turned up.  Felt like I was leaning forward.  Took the dealer all of 15 minutes.  There is a couple of inches of play before you stress the cables.  I also moved my backrest location and now find it very comfortable.  Congratulations and enjoy your new ride.

What's involved with moving the rider "backrest location"? Are you referring to the allen adjustment on the back of the backrest or the mount position under the seat?

I figured out how to raise and lower the position of the seat and the adjustment on the back of the backrest, but those are the only adjustments covered in the manual that I could find.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2009, 06:34:32 PM »

What's involved with moving the rider "backrest location"? Are you referring to the allen adjustment on the back of the backrest or the mount position under the seat?

I figured out how to raise and lower the position of the seat and the adjustment on the back of the backrest, but those are the only adjustments covered in the manual that I could find.

You can also change where the base bracket mounts by bolting it in different holes.  Also, at the front of the bracket under the seat, there is an arm bolted to the bracket that extends toward the gas tank.  If you unbolt that arm, there is an upper and lower arm.  You can switch those (put the bottom piece on top and vice versa) and you'll be surprised at how much it will change the angle of the rider backrest.  There's a thread on here somewhere with photos to illustrate.  I believe it was Guppytrash that originally posted it with photos back around 11/08, 12/08, or 1/09 is my guess.  It changed the angle just enough that the top of the backrest was no longer digging into my back, and allows the entire backrest to lean against.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2009, 06:36:28 PM »

You can also change where the base bracket mounts by bolting it in different holes.  Also, at the front of the bracket under the seat, there is an arm bolted to the bracket that extends toward the gas tank.  If you unbolt that arm, there is an upper and lower arm.  You can switch those (put the bottom piece on top and vice versa) and you'll be surprised at how much it will change the angle of the rider backrest.  There's a thread on here somewhere with photos to illustrate.  I believe it was Guppytrash that originally posted it with photos back around 11/08, 12/08, or 1/09 is my guess.  It changed the angle just enough that the top of the backrest was no longer digging into my back, and allows the entire backrest to lean against.

That's what I'm looking for. Any chance you can provide a link to that thread?

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2009, 06:42:42 PM »

That's what I'm looking for. Any chance you can provide a link to that thread?
I think this is the thread you want - Rider backrest on 09 FLHTCUSE4 « Reply #17.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 20 queries.