Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Just got a Screaming Eagle 110" Kit for my 2010 96"  (Read 31884 times)

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
Re: Just got a Screaming Eagle 110" Kit for my 2010 96"
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2009, 03:12:24 PM »

I've got two 110 bikes...the original "problem child" 07 and a '10.  I had the product enhancement done on my 07 and it's been running great since.  The '10 is too new and not enough miles on it yet to make any informed decision on the newer 110 engines.  But I, for one, don't regret getting bikes with the 110's.  The both work great.  I have extendeds on both of them and have only had to use the wheel/tire warranty so far.  I guess listening to all of these guys, I got the exception to the rule 110 engines.  Remember, you don't hear from the folks that have had no problems, only from the ones that did...take that for what it's worth.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

CQCBlades

« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2009, 03:13:52 PM »

I've got two 110 bikes...the original "problem child" 07 and a '10.  I had the product enhancement done on my 07 and it's been running great since.  The '10 is too new and not enough miles on it yet to make any informed decision on the newer 110 engines.  But I, for one, don't regret getting bikes with the 110's.  The both work great.  I have extendeds on both of them and have only had to use the wheel/tire warranty so far.  I guess listening to all of these guys, I got the exception to the rule 110 engines.  Remember, you don't hear from the folks that have had no problems, only from the ones that did...take that for what it's worth.

Thanks you made my day,

Greg

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2009, 03:15:42 PM »

Yep, I've been warned. The CVO 110" engine is a piece of junk and only works properly with a new crank and timken bushing. I should expect to have the engine leak and have general build quality "issues" from day one and I'll be lucky if it survives 1000 miles. Maybe in the four years I have full coverage the shop will be able to get my engine stabile enough so I can at least use it on the weekends for joy rides around the hood as planned.

Honestly I can't imagine why any of you guys knowingly spent $25K + on a bike with such a problematic engine to being with, I mean I know why I'm doing it, but it seems I wasn't informed and if I only knew what you all know then I would avoid Harley 110" engines like the pledge. SO what about the rest of you with CVO 110" why did you do it?

Greg

First, since you are going with the street legal 110, the stuff about having to do a Timken and welded crank is bogus.  The 110 in stock form doesn't produce enough power to destroy a properly machined and assembled crank.  The trick is figuring out if you have a good one, or one of those that is a little less than good.  With Harley's new plus or minus a foot tolerances, the whole thing is a crap shoot even if you stick with the stock 96.  I think the recommendations to do the crank mods are just well intentioned ideas that make sense if you're tearing the engine completely down anyway.  I think it's called insurance.  I would say that since the engine is coming apart, you will at least want the crank runout thoroughly checked while it's torn down.  Much rather find a problem then, instead of after it's put back together.

Second, assuming your dealer has a good engine tech who puts this engine together properly, you shouldn't have any more of a propensity for leaks than the current stuff coming out of the Harley plant.  Same parts involved, so if the tech is good, the outcome should be similar to what you would get from H-D.  However, the high combustion temps that helped create the original 110 problems will still be with you if you don't take actions to correct them.  So now you are butting into that warranty thing again.  You do realize that changing the factory calibration with a tuning device also voids the warranty and makes the bike illegal as well?

Third, some of us didn't spend the $30k - $40k for one of these bikes specifically because of all the issues (110 engines, transmissions, steering heads, electrical problems up the wahzoo, etc.).  In my case, I'd been hoping for a SE version of the Road Glide for many years.  They finally brought one out in 2009, and there are still plenty of them available, but you'll note that I'm still riding my 2005 SEEG.  I'm not interested in being a guinea pig for H-D's latest installment of "Quality, what Quality?" soap opera.

I may have missed it, but have you actually ridden a similar sized bike with a 110?  If you did, and you felt the performance difference was worth the investment, then don't worry about what all us nay-sayers tell you.  After all, it's all about what makes you happy.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2009, 03:17:15 PM »

I'm up for the challenge the bike is 100% Harley (exhaust included), brand new with no other work done by anyone, ever. I want to hear what they come up with, it should be entertaining and I will gladly keep track of it here, so we can all get a good laugh. As I've said before I have zero interest in any of the "non harley motors or parts" and I have no plans on working on the bike my self (I have a beautiful wife a two young kids that keep me more then occupied). I was just looking for a bit more power, a completely street legal setup that keeps me completely under warrantee so that they can pick it up and fix it when it breaks (and breaks, and then breaks again according to the folks here).

Thanks,

Greg

Keeping stock exhaust is going to negate the improvements that you make.  You will get more return per $ to do a stage 1 upgrade and give it more gas which will cool it down and prolong the motor's life, then changing the displacement with a stock exhaust.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2009, 03:17:59 PM »

At the shop I frequent, I got the 110" problem child. The others have been good to date with the fixes. My buddy has an 09, seems tight. Another guy I know is on his third 96" motor, go figure. If I wanted a bike that was equipped with a 110, I'ld still buy it. FWIW.

JW

CQCBlades

« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2009, 03:42:17 PM »

Thanks to the last few people who posted.

To answer a couple of the questions.
- I rode the CVO Fat Bob with the 110", which is why I wanted the upgrade
- I will be getting the screaming eagle exhaust as part of the upgrade
- I will be keeping everything street legal and I'm totally OK with the amount of power / $ sent
- The dealer tech has been working on Harley engines for the last 35 years and does 103 & 110 kits about 6-10 times a year, a friend of mine just had a 110 put in by the same shop and has been problem free another guy I know has had three 103 done with them over the years.
- All the work done (110" kit, ECM remap, pipes, etc) will be 100% covered under warrantee under the "60 days from date of purchase policy" currently in effect, anything happens to this bike and they will fix it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 03:44:30 PM by CQCBlades »

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2009, 03:48:10 PM »

Sounds like you got the plan nailed down. Let's close this one down. Good luck.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2009, 03:54:14 PM »

- I will be keeping everything street legal and I'm totally OK with the amount of power / $ sent
- The dealer tech has been working on Harley engines for the last 35 years and does 103 & 110 kits about 6-10 times a year, a friend of mine just had a 110 put in by the same shop and has been problem free another guy I know has had three 103 done with them over the years.
- All the work done (110" kit, ECM remap, pipes, etc) will be 100% covered under warrantee under the "60 days from date of purchase policy" currently in effect, anything happens to this bike and they will fix it.

Bottom line, like stated earlier, and I believe this too...the only person that needs to be happy with your decision is YOU.  The good folks here are providing information with, I'm sure, the best of intentions, but they are not the ones that have to be satisfied with the final outcome of your product.  Only you do.  I read what everyone has to say in the forum here because I get some very valuable information based on real-world experiences. After I take on board what they all have to say, I make my decision and stick by it.   Like I said, I have two 110 bikes.  One has a modified exhaust system on it (V&H ovals and true duals), the 07, and the other will get a modified exhaust system on it when the aftermarket vendors catch up to the new 2010 head pipes.  You're the only one that needs to be satisfied or happy with your decisions.  Go for it and enjoy!   :2vrolijk_21:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2009, 04:17:01 PM »

I would like to say I have enjoyed this whole Thread.

I have a 110, and my opinion means nothing to Mr. Blades.

I purchased the 09 with a 110 only because it came with the bike I wanted.... 6 speed, new frame,abs, the differences in stability and handling. I like my bike and I enjoy riding it.

If I had my choice in motors it would be the 103. And I personally believe this is learned not taught.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2009, 04:18:46 PM »

In this thread you have received some good advice & some crappy advice.  I will not offer advice, but will let you know that I own & ride an 07 SEULTRA with a 110 that leaked - once.  Had the enhancement recall work & at that time added high compression pistons and SE 251 cams.  Bike runs great - ride it hard - have ridden coast to coast & to Canada & back from Florida & no leaks.  Has the bike had other issues, yeah a few after all it is a Harley.  But no more engine leaks since the recall work.  Bike has a SERT & was re-dynoed after the cams, etc. to get it dialed in right.  Very pleased so far with this bike & the power it produces!

I also have an extended warranty & so far have not used it.  Hope I do not have to, but it is there just in case.  

If I were to give you any advice it would be to research this by talking to some of the folks who had the 110 work done by your dealer.  He oughta give you a few references - maybe you have talked to some already.  In person you will get better advice than you will ever get on any bike forum, depending on whether or not your in person source is an idiot or not.  On a forum sometimes it is not that easy to tell.

Mike
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2009, 04:24:17 PM »

The original CVO 110 was JUNK!!! Took em 2 years to do "enhancements" to it just to make it supposedly reliable. The jury's still out on that. But I'd not think twice about getting another one. I don't GAS about the W.....ty either though! I'll give the motor a chance, change cams, exhaust, some head work, and generally get it running properly and pick up the power that HD left on the table. If I have problems, FTF, I build a REAL motor, like I did with my 110! I know not everyone thinks that way! But I also know they don't make one strong enough to put up with my riding style. My issue is that this chit ain't rocket science. And HD DOES know how to build a proper engine. Damn bean counters don't let em though! So I still say FTF!!! ;)

Good luck with your 110. I'm sure you'll like it, especially if they give you 251 cams, SE exhaust, and a 50mm TB. Try to push for that at a minimum. :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

CQCBlades

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2009, 04:44:09 PM »

Thanks again guys,I appreciate it.

Greg
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 20 queries.