Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Nitrogen In Your Motorcycle Tires.  (Read 21059 times)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Nitrogen In Your Motorcycle Tires.
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 09:22:38 AM »

what rear tire are you getting 10-12k out of???  I wish...so do I get a free refill when I do my rear at 8k? 

That about what I am getting out of the Dunflops.

Iski...if you get air where I do, they round up to 79%...so I got you beat

Ok, I yield to your superior nitrogen number, Florida Marine.  Locally we do not allow that sort of rounding to occur - drat - regulations & all.

I get 10-12k out of the Dunlops usually on my geezerglide & on the RK, but that is when they are not being ridden by Captain Throttle.  Captain Throttle never gets 10k out of his tires, since rubber is left on the road & the accompanying braking stuff causes tread to disappear.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 10:39:46 AM »

WOW!!! A Sh.. Storm over trying something relatively new.

I have absolutely no experience with this stuff but was interested in trying it out.

I have read a little on it but my retention is...well somewhat lower ..age related. But I'll try and keep you guys informed about my riding and tire wear experiences.

As far a refills go, they are free for a year at the dealership. But as one poster said you just may not need any. I really don't know yet. 

Now I will admit I'll be PO'd if I could have received more value by using the money to buy a few beers and a steak......  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 10:46:36 AM »

WOW!!! A Sh.. Storm over trying something relatively new.

No, not at all.  And don't feel bad.  We've been making fun of paying extra (anything) for nitrogen in tires for years now.  It's recreation.  You're supposed to play along :drink: .

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 10:51:29 AM »

No, not at all.  And don't feel bad.  We've been making fun of paying extra (anything) for nitrogen in tires for years now.  It's recreation.  You're supposed to play along :drink: .

Oh I can take it.. That's why I mentioned a few beers and a steak..

Anyway, somebody has to try these new fangled technologies. I mean just think a few years ago "The Storm" was Fuel Injection verses a Carberator..   He.. NO!!! Won't work, won't perform anywhere as good as a "Carb, too hard to tune--etc".

Regards

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 11:21:15 AM by CVOStreetglide »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 10:56:28 AM »

Oh I can take it.. That's why I mentioned a few beers and a steak..

Anyway, somebody has to try these new fangled technologies. I mean just think a few years ago "The Storm" was Fuel Injection verses a Carberator..   He.. NO!!! Won't work, won't perform anywhere as good as a "Carb, toohard to tune--etc".

regards

I like steak (and fuel injection)!

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 01:13:57 PM »

Check the nearby thread on cupping and Dynabeads.  There is a pasting of the Dunlop warranty and it says it is void if anything but air is used as the support medium.  Interesting.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 01:21:52 PM »

Check the nearby thread on cupping and Dynabeads.  There is a pasting of the Dunlop warranty and it says it is void if anything but air is used as the support medium.  Interesting.

Great......... Now a manufacturer is actually telling us we can't have gas.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 01:53:29 PM »

Now I will admit I'll be PO'd if I could have received more value by using the money to buy a few beers and a steak......  :2vrolijk_21:  :2vrolijk_21:

Here is a link that tells about using nitrogen to make beer. :drink: http://www.yeastbank.com/features/mainbar2nd2000.htm  I do not recommend reading this, it gave me a headache.

If I had all the money back that I have spent on bikes, that could have been spent on things of more value elsewhere, I could have bought a nice brew pub that served steaks.   :pepper:

Helium in tires is something I would like to try.....   ;)

Sean M Cary

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2009, 08:47:02 AM »

Ok, I yield to your superior nitrogen number, Florida Marine.  Locally we do not allow that sort of rounding to occur - drat - regulations & all.

I get 10-12k out of the Dunlops usually on my geezerglide & on the RK, but that is when they are not being ridden by Captain Throttle.  Captain Throttle never gets 10k out of his tires, since rubber is left on the road & the accompanying braking stuff causes tread to disappear.

must be my hulking physique that lends to less tire life...

miker must get like 3000 out of his

Sean M Cary

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2009, 08:48:44 AM »

Helium in tires is something I would like to try.....   ;)

it might make your bike sqeaky...or at least sound squeaky

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2009, 09:56:12 AM »

it might make your bike sqeaky...or at least sound squeaky

Indubitably.  Have not seen any studies re: helium vs nitrogen in tires but according to statistics that I am making up manipulating now, helium is lighter than nitrogen see important looking table posted to prove my stats and a lighter helium tire would be superior to the heavier nitrogen tire in at least 2 ways.  1. Tread life improved by less road contact.  2. Better mileage since the bike is lighter (helium lighter than nitrogen).

Figure you must know a lot about gasses, with your SCUBA background & all. 

Hydrogen is lighter than helium, but 1 spark & all your savings go up in smoke.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2009, 10:09:39 AM »

Indubitably.  Have not seen any studies re: helium vs nitrogen in tires but according to statistics that I am making up manipulating now, helium is lighter than nitrogen see important looking table posted to prove my stats and a lighter helium tire would be superior to the heavier nitrogen tire in at least 2 ways.  1. Tread life improved by less road contact.  2. Better mileage since the bike is lighter (helium lighter than nitrogen).

Figure you must know a lot about gasses, with your SCUBA background & all.  

Hydrogen is lighter than helium, but 1 spark & all your savings go up in smoke.

Have one VIFW (very important f'ing worry) about helium for tire inflation.  Since it's lighter would you actually float over water or hydroplane and die?  And what about braking?  If there's no road contact anymore could I save the money spent on brake pads and fancy calipers?  Thank you.

Also, if we pumped up the moderators with helium would they type with a higher pitch?

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2009, 10:20:18 AM »

Have one VIFW (very important f'ing worry) about helium for tire inflation.  Since it's lighter would you actually float over water or hydroplane and die?  And what about braking?  If there's no road contact anymore could I save the money spent on brake pads and fancy calipers?  Thank you.

Also, if we pumped up the moderators with helium would they type with a higher pitch?

The answers to your questions are:  Yes, piloting a hydroplane without a license is illegal in at least 18 states.

Braking is a controversial as well as a partisan subject.  Some choose to brake, others do not.  It's a personal decision.

:6: Yes no road contact, and tires as well as wheels and kickstands would then become an option from the MoCo.  Helium bike seats in custom colors would offset any savings, however.

I remain opposed to pumping moderators, since the side door does not give any clue as to what the inflation psi should be.  I learned how you did that - excellent!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2009, 10:23:03 AM »

The answers to your questions are:  Yes, piloting a hydroplane without a license is illegal in at least 18 states.

Braking is a controversial as well as a partisan subject.  Some choose to brake, others do not.  It's a personal decision.

:6: Yes no road contact, and tires as well as wheels and kickstands would then become an option from the MoCo.  Helium bike seats in custom colors would offset any savings, however.

I remain opposed to pumping moderators, since the side door does not give any clue as to what the inflation psi should be.  I learned how you did that - excellent!

Ok.  Clear on most of this now.  However, if you get any one you (helium) what salve is best for the inflation inflammation?  And is there a maximum age limit for the girl that must apply it?

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2009, 10:29:23 AM »

Ok.  Clear on most of this now.  However, if you get any one you (helium) what salve is best for the inflation inflammation?  And is there a maximum age limit for the girl that must apply it?

Good that you do, because I do not understand any most of it. I was lost soon after Poughkipsie, but was too stubborn to ask for directions.

My medical opinion as a non medical professional is that this is the best salve, and it is better that you apply it to the girl.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 20 queries.