Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Nitrogen In Your Motorcycle Tires.  (Read 21199 times)

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
Nitrogen In Your Motorcycle Tires.
« on: September 08, 2009, 12:28:15 PM »

I decided to try this out on my new 2010 CVO Street Glide.

I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO AFFILIATION WITH THIS VENDOR.....

The cost was about $20/tire.

The company name is Nitrofill    www.nitrofill.com

Inflating and  maintaining your tires with NitroFill will increase your fuel economy and improve your tire life and safety.

Your purchase also includes a FREE one year membership in the Nitrofill Auto Club providing complimentary:

--Tire Replacement Benefits
--24 hour Emergency Towing Service
--24 Hour Emergency Road Service
--24 Hour Emergency Fluid Delivery (gas, oil, water, etc.)
--24 Hour Emergency Battery Service
--Lost Key Lock out Service
--Travel Benefits Theft and Hit and Run Protection
--Trip Routing Service
--Trip Interruption Protection

And Jay Leno uses it for all of his vast stable of cars and motorcycles.   :2vrolijk_21:   :2vrolijk_21:

I'll have to provide periodic updates for those who are interested or considering a similiar purchase.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 02:11:07 PM by CVOStreetglide »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Nitrogen In Your Motorcycle Tires.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 12:36:11 PM »

Between HOG, insurance, AAA or whatever why buy another roadside assist plan?

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 01:28:59 PM »

I run nitrogen in mine.  78%  :pepper:
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 01:54:32 PM »

I run nitrogen in mine.  78%  :pepper:

Hah, I use more nitrogen than you do Jim!  So there; pttthhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  I've got 78.08% as measured from the troposphere.  But damn that's a long straw to suck through to get it down from there.  Nationwide is the contractor for my roadside assistance though.  They are (generally) closer.

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 02:15:10 PM »

When you guys get a chance go on the site and read abut it. I agree that the roadside services are duplicates of what many of us already have.

The fuel and tire savings are supposed to pay for the fillup in about 12k miles.

Its interesting stuff. NASCAR and many major tire companies endorse it.

Just saying..... but I am also trying it.

Regards
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 12:06:52 PM by CVOStreetglide »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 02:18:30 PM »

When you guys get a chance goup on the site and read abut it. I agree that the roadside services are duplicates of what many of us already have.

The fuel and tire savings are supposed to pay for the fillup in about 12k miles.

Its interesting stuff. NASCAR and many major tire companies endorse it.

Just saying..... but I am also trying it.

Regards

As always the measure is whether or not you feel satisfied with the purchase.  That's all that matters.  That I think spending twenty bucks each to air up your tires is kookoo doesn't matter one bit :drink: .

mustysharley

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 02:30:59 PM »

i switched over to the Nitrogen, back in May, at H-D of Rocky Mount. it was 7 bucks a tire. i have checked them, each week since and they haven't changed a pound. pretty cool. temperature changes, tires don't.  :bananarock:

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 04:41:51 PM »

As always the measure is whether or not you feel satisfied with the purchase.  That's all that matters.  That I think spending twenty bucks each to air up your tires is kookoo doesn't matter one bit :drink: .

If you get a chance go on the site and read some of the supporting information. It may not change your position whatsoever but you just may learn something. 

The payback is about 10-12k miles according to their calculator in addition to some other benefits (not the stuff listed above).

I think the bike rides better too but I like nitrogen at parties too .....  :orange: :mango: :bananarock:

Regards

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 05:27:10 PM »

Hah, I use more nitrogen than you do Jim!  So there; pttthhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  I've got 78.08% as measured from the troposphere.  But damn that's a long straw to suck through to get it down from there.  Nationwide is the contractor for my roadside assistance though.  They are (generally) closer.

I run nitrogen in mine.  78%   :pepper:

Living at sea level, I have more nitrogen in my tires than either one of you.  So there.  78.084% by my calculations.  Sea level rules when it comes to nitrogen. 

I have found nitrogen to be especially beneficial at speeds approaching 180-190 mph, much less beneficial the slower you go than 180.  Just my 2 1/2 cents worth.

"Consumer Reports tested one claim: that nitrogen-filled tires keep their pressure longer.

"The test started on Sept. 20, 2006 and the final measurements were taken on Sept. 20, 2007. The results show nitrogen does reduce pressure loss over time, but the reduction is only a 1.3 pounds per square inch difference from air-filled tires... More important, all tires lost air pressure ... Bottom line: Overall, consumers might enjoy the slight improvement in air retention, but it's not a substitute for regular inflation checks."

and

"We use nitrogen because it's a cleaner air; there's no moisture in it," said crew chief Tommy Baldwin on Nascar.com. "Moisture builds heat, and when you use compressed air, there's a lot of water in the airlines and air systems, and when that water gets into the tire, it will expand the tire and puts heat into it, and will eventually cause a tire problem."

One thing I noticed while reading about this subject, companies that sell nitrogen for tires claim all sorts of BS, and scientific studies basically disprove their claims (pesky facts).  It's sort of like a nitrogen religion - believe it or do not believe it. 

So if you check your tires weekly (I do) and ride at less than 180 mph ( I try to keep it under that, usually), nitrogen is basically a cool valve stem & a bill for - air.  Car tires./bike tires - not for me.  However, I have a riding lawn mower that apparently would benefit greatly from nitrogen in it's tires according to folk lore, but it is a very long ride to the refilling station.....
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 07:16:42 PM »

"Inflating and  maintaining your tires with NitroFill will increase your fuel economy and improve your tire life and safety"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
B. S.  Nitrogen will not improve your fuel economy one iota, nor will it improve your tire life, nor will it improve your safety (unless your tires catch on fire, then the lack of oxygen may be a good thing).  Rolling resistance of your tires, which is the factor that relates to fuel economy, isn't changed when you use 40 psi of nitrogen versus 40 psi of plain old atmospheric air.  Same on the tire wear.  Show me some scientific proof I'm wrong.  Don't waste a lot of time looking for that proof, however, because it doesn't exist except in bogus advertising copy.

Take that $20 per tire and buy a good air pressure gauge instead.  Keep your tires inflated to the recommended pressures and check them at least monthly (weekly even better).  If you really want to splurge, buy a water separator filter for your air tank or compressor to keep that nasty moisture out.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 07:32:31 PM »

:cherry:
I agree with the prior comments,  it's hype and ya don't need it.

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 08:26:47 PM »

grc is right on the money. the only good thing about this is youll check your tire pressure, and that is all you need
 to do.....
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Sean M Cary

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 08:46:57 PM »

If you get a chance go on the site and read some of the supporting information. It may not change your position whatsoever but you just may learn something. 

The payback is about 10-12k miles according to their calculator in addition to some other benefits (not the stuff listed above).

I think the bike rides better too but I like nitrogen at parties too .....  :orange: :mango: :bananarock:

Regards

what rear tire are you getting 10-12k out of???  I wish...so do I get a free refill when I do my rear at 8k? 

That about what I am getting out of the Dunflops.

Iski...if you get air where I do, they round up to 79%...so I got you beat

MontyB

• Amazing! You can actually SEE the laws of physics breaking!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Twilight
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 09:01:27 PM »

The other issue with paying for pure N2 is that unless you have a tank at the house, how do you refill your tires periodically? If you add regular air using your home air compressor or at a filling station, that would seem to cancel the 'benefits' of pure nitrogen.

If N2 was easily available and at a much lower cost per fill, it might be worth it.  But hey,  I got lots of chrome and stuff on my bike that I don't NEED, it just makes me feel good.  So if you feel cooler having pure N2 in your tires then go for it!

cheers!
"Good news, Marge!  I've learned how to walk naked on stilts!"
Iron Butt Assn #33622
Tennessee Squire

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 09:13:47 PM »

At twenty bucks a tire a guy could quickly buy a real good water filter to plumb in to the air line from his compressor.  If you use the compressor and air tools much at all that's a far greater benefit than anything the N2 is going to do for your tires.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 20 queries.