Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Siegfried's Saga  (Read 8730 times)

Siegfried

• FLHRSEI.ORG
Siegfried's Saga
« on: December 13, 2005, 09:57:42 AM »

Newly-minted member here.  The story so far:

I love motorcycles--all kinds.  Have had a Harley and a Buell; now have an Aprilia Tuono (a beautiful bike which I love) and a Kawasaki KLR650 (the ugloid Swiss army knife of bikes--which I love).  Just sold a Yamaha FJR1300.  If you are still with me, you'll see I have room in the stable for a larger touring bike. I'm fortunate to be able to own several bikes at a time, and one should be a big hunkin' Harley.  (Can I get an "Amen!"?)  Found out about this site as I was doing some searches looking for reviews of SEEGs.  I must be borderline obsessive-compulsive, because I have gone wacko following threads on a zillion subjects.  One thread I followed with interest was Jeff's on the differences between 2006's and 2005's.  At the time, I was checking available bikes, mostly on Trader and eBay. As Jeff came closer to getting his Cherry, I came to realize, sadly, that he was looking at the Cherry in Scottsdale that's about 10 minutes from my house.  Oh well, Jeff was ready, and I wasn't.  Good for Jeff--sounds like he's happy with his purchase.

Well, I'm ready now......I think.  I found a low mileage Cherry (you know, the fastest kind...) in a nearby state which I have plane tickets to take a look at on Friday.  I have located transporters, and have one ready to go.  I have the cash, and have made tentative arrangements to have money wired to pay off the lien on the bike, etc. I'm ready to pull the trigger....but I am finding myself a bit ambivalent.  This is a lot of hassle to go through to get a bike....maybe I should wait to find a nice, low mileage Electra Glide or Road Glide in Arizona which I can customize to my taste....this is a hectic holiday season as it is without throwing all of this on top of it....it's a lot of money....blah blah blah.... Right now my enthusiasm level is like one of those mylar balloons two weeks after the event--somewhat deflated and just hanging there about 2 feet off the ground.  Can any of you guys relate to these last minute second thoughts?

I'm needing the CVO congregation to rise up and give me a boost.  I have really enjoyed getting a sense of some of the inmates of this particular asylum--some really odd characters who know so much and are so generous in sharing their knowledge.  And, Santa, can I please get a lesson, and a "And there endeth the lesson", from Brother Hubbard???

Dave

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Siegfried's Saga
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 10:08:35 AM »

Dave.....as they always say.....stick to your original gut feelings!  If you don't and you "settle" for something less in Ariz. you will be sorry!  Pull the trigger, go for what you really, really want and be happy.  Then and only then will you realize the full potential of OCD! [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

By the way, if that bike is in Northern Calif. let me know........maybe some of us can hook up and meet you. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

Aside from all that.......welcome to the site and we expect to see you in Cripple Creek in June on a cherry SEEG. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 10:10:46 AM »

I moved this thread because I thought it was more of a general CVO topic that we could all relate to in some way, even thow it's a SEEG that you're looking at getting.  One of the other moderators may think it needs to be moved back. [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2005, 10:38:32 AM »

Dave;
Go look at the bike. If you fall in love its meant to be. When I saw the my Cherry SEEG I knew it was for me. I had to have it. As JC said don't settle for something less than what you really want because you will regret it. I made that mistake 16 years ago when I had to get a HD but could only afford a Sporty. So I got a Sporty and regretted it. I sold it a short time later for a big loss and saved up for a big twin.

Best of luck to you.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 10:46:12 AM »

Well, I'm ready now......I think.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2005, 11:20:49 AM »

The delay, hassles, conflict with all the other seasonal requirements and general busy-ness of this time of the year has got to be a lousy time to make such a major "me" happen and feel 100% right about it.  There are family, friends, deadlines for end of year, and god knows what else all pulling at time.  All things that could make one think twice about all the other hassles you're describing to acquire the bike.

Rightly or wrongly the bike will be as much an emotional purchase as a material one.  Having said all this all those other things are impediments to making the decision; or perhaps excuses allowed to give one room for second thoughts if he's not sure.  If the airline is already scheduled and the cash is in hand (without hurting anyone else's Christmas, college or other needs) than you're really out very little to take the opportunity to put your ass in the seat.  Then let your ass tell your brain if you really like it or not.  At that point, proceed accordingly.  Good luck!

Siegfried

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2005, 11:32:11 AM »

Thanks, guys.  Just what I'm needing to hear, especially the reminder about the stress of holiday deadlines and things-to-be-done pulling me in all directions.  Not surprising, then, that all of my oars aren't in the water pulling in the same direction.  

Jerry - As it turns out, my parents moved from Munster to Schererville about 2 years ago, and I'm heading there from the 23rd to the 26th.  Will you be at home?  Send me a PM if we might be able to schedule a quick get-together then.

Dave

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 11:38:35 AM »

Dave,

Dave Dave Dave I have to echo all the comments so far.  By the time you spend the money to get a stock bike chromed out with all the shiny personalized doodads that you will want on it, and get the bigger motor you will have spent more on a stock bike than actually buying the SEEG.   On top of that the stock bike which is not a CVO will not hold its value as well as the SEEG.   It is a love a passion and also and investment and since the SEEG is a limited production item has some inherent value there as well.  

If you buy and arent happy it isnt all that hard to sell them as they are a wanted commodity.

That being said go fer it :)   And the Cherry's are the fastest

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2005, 12:23:50 PM »

:D  Dave, you are making the best decision on a bike that you can make, IMHO of course.  As the others have already said, the CVO is not like taking a standard and throwing a whole bunch of money at and it's the same thing. I can not tell you how many people I know who have bought a standard bike, and then tried to convert it to a CVO. It is just not the same. It will not ride the same, feel the same, sell again to the next lucky fellow/gal the same.  These (especially the red) CVO SEEGs are extremely special.  You will not for one minute be sorry.  But you already know that and I feel the knowledge cementing with you as we speak.  What a nice Christmas present. I know, I got mine last year for Christmas.  I can't tell you how many trips I'd make out to the garage to just look at it and admire it into the wee hours of the night. But when I got to ride it...... that is really the great test.  This is one wonderful fantastic bike.  I am so happy for you.  Enjoy.  :D

Two Tone Candy Cherry SEEG for Dave's Christmas. It does not get much better than this!

[smiley=cherry.gif]

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2005, 12:23:54 PM »

Dave....I'll give you a little advice (for whatever, if anything that it's worth) from a purely $'s and cents viewpoint.  The CVO bikes have a proven value retention that is not obtained by building a standard model into something that you personalize and modify to your liking.  This is certainly not to  say or infer that "built" bikes are not as good or as enjoyable to ride and own.  In my opinion, there have been many built bikes that I have assembled that I would much prefer to any CVO unit.  There are members of this site who are riding built bikes that far exceed the performance of any of the CVO's. Problem is that they are a declining asset unless you find the individual who likes exactly what you do.  If you'll take a look at the used CVO market (V-Rod excluded) and particularly the E-Glides you'll find that the resale has been exceptionally strong.  Currently, there are '04 SEEG's bringing 28-30k and in some cases are being sold for what the original owner paid and had the use of for 2 years.  Just a thought from another viewpoint.

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2005, 12:30:59 PM »

Dave, I feel your pain. [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] I was in a simular position 6 months ago, have two bikes in the garage and wanted a touring bike. I looked long and hard at classics and ultras but I realized I would never have been happy if I did not go for my guts first choice. I tried very hard to rationalize saving a few bucks and letting the SEEG wait for another time.
Well, long story short, I bought the SEEG and I can't tell you how happy I am I did. I really love the bike, and that feeling just get stonger every time I ride her. I have traded a few times with friends on long ride so they could feel the difference and evry time I have done that I thank God I bought the SEEG.
Just my 2 cents worth.
 [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif]
MJZ

Crawdaddy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Enjoy your Freedom
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 12:36:18 PM »

Right now my enthusiasm level is like one of those mylar balloons two weeks after the event--somewhat deflated and just hanging there about 2 feet off the ground.

Dave,  I hope that comment doesn't come from reading some of the problems that have been posted.  I can assure you that any bitching on this site doesn't mean the bike is not worth the price.  Nothing I have riden in the Harley line measures up to the SEEG.  It has been the most fun to fix up because it already has the basics so everything chrome wise is there.  I did the math before I ordered mine and found that I would have paid 35K to get an EG or UG to the level of the SEEG, and it would still be an EG of UG.  I guarantee once you ride a 103, you will not think twice about an 88.

The cherry is fine but the yellow bike turns a lot of heads ....and you meet the nicest people on a SEEG.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 12:40:32 PM »

You have a big [size=14]"AMEN"[/size] from all of us here of course.
Go for what you want! You can always try and build a "CVO equivalent", but it'll cost you more in the long run with parts and labor. I have tried it myself. Just go through the P & A catalog to match what comes standard on CVO series, figure in the labor, and you just can't match it in the long run. As it was pointed out, CVO's do retain their resale over the customed up versions. You can individualize your CVO and it's going to bring you where you want to go, as the Porsche ads used to say " There is no substitute" and IMHO that's what we have here. You'll see lots of gripes and issues with the breed, unfortunatelythat is common with about anything factory built these days . But, we're all here because we love the damn things and won't do the substitute route.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2005, 12:55:30 PM by twolanerider »
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

jdracing

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005, 01:02:09 PM »

Alright Dave, as if I don't already feel guilty enough about taking that bike from you when it was 10 minutes from your house. . . .

I'm here to tell you that all the hassle (flying out to see it, figuring out the logistics of where I could store it after I paid for it but before I could get it home, and then driving back to pick it up three weeks later, leaving myself enough time to visit the AZ DMV to title and register it because it can't yet be titled in CA) was much more than merely "worth it."
Jeff
Fremont, CA

2005 Cherry SEEG, V&H Dresser Duals, Samson Rolled Thunder Mufflers, Ness Big Sucker, and Race Tuner

2005 Sierra Red/Silver Dyna Low Rider (Wife's ride), SE Tapered Mufflers, Ness Big Sucker, and Stage

Siegfried

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2005, 01:09:00 PM »

More great responses--thanks.

I understand that I couldn't replicate a SEEG for the money; I don't think I'd want to try.  It's more like BLM says--what I would build, if I were paying for each part separately as it went on, is a bike less blingy with more focus on power, suspension and brakes. It's all about matriculating the bike down the road (and quickly), as Hank Stram might have said.  But what I would end up with is a built bike that I may love, but which 'the market' may not value as highly as I do.  (Hey, I owned a Buell--talk about the market not sharing my idea of what my bike was worth!!!!)  And please don't get the idea that I am anti-bling.  I have a friend who sniffs about 'pose value' and rides cop Electra Glides and Road Glides he buys on a yearly basis.  But I really do like the look of the SEEGs, and will offer him a kleenex should he sniff about my bling-mobile (if I get it).  If I get the Cherry, I will have as pretty a Harley as exists (sorry, punkin, banana and jalapeno owners), and I can get to work on pulling more power out of the hunkin' 103.  Woo hoo--that's what I'm talkin' about.  (Gee, it seems my mood is turning around....)

One more thing--it's really great to get responses from people whose comments I have read all over this forum.  I feel I have come to know each of you a little bit, and this feels like getting a morale boost from friends.  That's special.

Dave
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 20 queries.