Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: 2009 Road Glide  (Read 10622 times)

RBR2010

2009 Road Glide
« on: November 09, 2009, 06:35:02 PM »

HELP....Just bought a new 2009 Road Glide.  I find that when I let my hands off the bars about 40 mph....it starts to shake....anyone out there hearing of or having the same issues????

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
Re: 2009 Road Glide
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 08:27:06 PM »

May be a consideration ....

yellowhog

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 08:34:03 PM »

It could be a front tire.  I had the same thing once and the front tire had a "hard spot" on it.  When I replaced the tire, the shake went away...

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 11:37:52 PM »

Do a search on loose steering head bolt. It seems to me that it has been a problem on some of the 09' SERG's. You'll have to take it in to the dealer for warranty repair. The test to verify if you had the problem was to go about 40 mph and while you were reducing speed with your hands off the handlebars you would feel the wobble. I hope this helps.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 08:31:12 AM »

Do a search on loose steering head bolt. It seems to me that it has been a problem on some of the 09' SERG's. You'll have to take it in to the dealer for warranty repair. The test to verify if you had the problem was to go about 40 mph and while you were reducing speed with your hands off the handlebars you would feel the wobble. I hope this helps.
that's what I'd check
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 08:47:42 AM »

Pay attention to this! From HD M1246 Service Bulletin:

"NOTE
A steering head that is too tight can interfere with the
vehicle's ability to absorb a weave. A steering head that is
too loose can interfere with the vehicle's ability to absorb a
wobble."

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 10:39:40 AM »

Try adding tire pressure til it abates, check to see if the 408 tire is on. 

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTCUTGSE - Sunset Orange &amp Sunset Black
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Silver Surfer - 2013 FLHRSE5 Crushed Saphire
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 03:13:03 PM »

I too am having very similar problems with my 09 SERG.  I've already been to my local stealorship for service and the tech found nothing wrong... however, it is a real issue that I can feel when at low speeds when I let go of the bars briefly just to see the reaction. You can see a clear wobble/vibration from the handlebars.

Also at higher speeds when cornering the bike can feel marginally unstable in the turn.  Cornering to the right vs. the left yields different results...  can't tell you which side is worse but it is obvious when it occurs.  Doesn't neccesarily feel unsafe, rather uncomfortable is a better word.

I also notice that when riding on a flat road at any speed, when I briefly let go of the bars the bike veers gently to the left.  I've tested this on different roads on different days and the bike veers to the left each time.

Lastly worth noting is that when I purchased the bike, I had the stealor put on a set of Metzelers, front and rear instead of the stock Dunlops.

For me the question becomes: Is it the steering head tightness or lack of proper lubrication..? Or... possibly a tire issue..?  Or something worse...

And since my local HD shop can't or won't fix this, I'm heading up to Rossmeyer's Ormond Shop for service on Thursday for another look (Thanks Harry!).  I'm hopeful they'll put this to bed once and for all.  It's a bit unnerving when this wobble happens at any speed...   :nervous:

And FWIW I have adjusted the tire pressure up to a higher pressure and some of the wobble/vibration does seem to go away to some degree but not completely... and still veers to the left.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 03:25:08 PM »

I too am having very similar problems with my 09 SERG.  I've already been to my local stealorship for service and the tech found nothing wrong... however, it is a real issue that I can feel when at low speeds when I let go of the bars briefly just to see the reaction. You can see a clear wobble/vibration from the handlebars.

Also at higher speeds when cornering the bike can feel marginally unstable in the turn.  Cornering to the right vs. the left yields different results...  can't tell you which side is worse but it is obvious when it occurs.  Doesn't neccesarily feel unsafe, rather uncomfortable is a better word.

I also notice that when riding on a flat road at any speed, when I briefly let go of the bars the bike veers gently to the left.  I've tested this on different roads on different days and the bike veers to the left each time.

Lastly worth noting is that when I purchased the bike, I had the stealor put on a set of Metzelers, front and rear instead of the stock Dunlops.

For me the question becomes: Is it the steering head tightness or lack of proper lubrication..? Or... possibly a tire issue..?  Or something worse...

And since my local HD shop can't or won't fix this, I'm heading up to Rossmeyer's Ormond Shop for service on Thursday for another look (Thanks Harry!).  I'm hopeful they'll put this to bed once and for all.  It's a bit unnerving when this wobble happens at any speed...   :nervous:

And FWIW I have adjusted the tire pressure up to a higher pressure and some of the wobble/vibration does seem to go away to some degree but not completely... and still veers to the left.

Didn't know they made Metzlers in the SERG3 sizes. You might want to check that. That right there could be your issue if the wrong tire sizes are on your bike. ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 04:48:40 PM »

That sounds like the problem right there. Metzler does not make a tire for the 09 SERG, or at least didn't last month

rascal1007

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2018 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2009, 05:01:26 PM »

HELP....Just bought a new 2009 Road Glide.  I find that when I let my hands off the bars about 40 mph....it starts to shake....anyone out there hearing of or having the same issues????

My guess is the steering neck. See the attached!

Max for a RG is 2 swings; mine went 7 !!!

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »

That sounds like the problem right there. Metzler does not make a tire for the 09 SERG, or at least didn't last month

I understand that now...  But I still don't understand why the dealor would suggest and then sell me those tires...  There's got to be some accountability.

Even if the tires are in question, would that explain the bike veering to the left..?

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2009, 07:34:42 AM »

I understand that now...  But I still don't understand why the dealor would suggest and then sell me those tires...  There's got to be some accountability.

Even if the tires are in question, would that explain the bike veering to the left..?
I feel your frustration, some dealers just don't know. walk in and ask them for an Elite 3, you'll walk out with a 408, they won't say they don't carry it.
check the neck first, could be a bad balance too.
ride it up to TN, i'll straighten it out  :huepfenlol2:

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2009, 07:38:21 AM »

I feel your frustration, some dealers just don't know. walk in and ask them for an Elite 3, you'll walk out with a 408, they won't say they don't carry it.
check the neck first, could be a bad balance too.
ride it up to TN, i'll straighten it out  :huepfenlol2:

Great!  I'm on my way  :huepfenjump3:

Larry, if I could... I would.  I've got a laundry list of mods I'd love for you to help me with.   Too bad you're 10+ hours away.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 07:39:41 AM »

Great!  I'm on my way  :huepfenjump3:

Larry, if I could... I would.  I've got a laundry list of mods I'd love for you to help me with.   Too bad you're 10+ hours away.
we'll keep a lift open for ya

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 20 queries.