Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: 2010 ultra classic limited vs cvo  (Read 19554 times)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
Re: 2010 ultra classic limited vs cvo
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 04:54:40 PM »

Well, perhaps the majority of the problems have been resolved on the "10's"  One thing I will say about all Forums in general is they seem to express more negativity than anything else.  As an example the last three vehicles I bought have all been great to me.  Yet when I researched the respective forums all I seemed to find was gripes, beetches (sic) and complaints.  I've got to tell you they have been virtually trouble free.  I can say one thing and that is my CVO has been great and I don't hesitate about recommending it to those who inquire.  Yes I've had the heated grip issues, and had the heads replaced although they were not leaking (yet?)  ::)  I do see where you have/had two other CVO's, so you must not be too discouraged and that's a good thing.  Also a general statement regarding quality, most everything built today does not have the quality or attention to detail that seemed to exist years ago.  For the most part it has become a throw away society.  I still say buy the new CVO!

First CVO was 2007 SERK, POC.  Then  after all the time in the shop, I bought 2000 FXR4 (old design, carbureted) and an almost new FLHX, stock 88.  I personally decided to never buy anything newer than 2006 again.  There are so many low milers out there.  The bad taste came when HD told me that I had highly modofied the SERK by changing the air filter and adding mufflers.  I had caused the head gasket leaks. I have it inb writing if you want to see it.

Honestly, most of the time I search the web, it's because of a part needed, a problem to be fixed, etc.  I think many on this site would agree that we all gained from sharing our issues and how they were being handled, being able to go to the dealer armed with info instead of hearing, "they all do that"  they all make that noise.  I'm forever grateful for all the info I've learned and all of the great and smart people I've conversed and even rode with and will still do so.  What I do not understand is the willingness of others to repeat history.  I bought the 110 in the first month or would have streared clear of it after hearing what already happened, unless you are one of those willing to make the needed changes to the already most expensive bikes.  My .02.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 05:30:09 PM »

I guess you can call it a love-hate relationship for me, as Jerry does. An American air-cooled V-Twin bike is my ride of choice, with HD as a main stay in that arena. I've a couple of S&S motors and a RevTech motor too. I love my CVO's, but hate dealing with the "bottom-line return-to-shareholder Corp mentality of the MoCo!!! I'm kinda hating everything Corporate these days anyway for the same reason, especially in my own industry! I love my HD's, have their B&S tattoo'd on my arm, and have as much if not more right to talk about their BS bottom-line approach to everything than anyone! It's called passion, but don't discount the negative things you hear. There's usually basis to them to some degree or another! And knowledge is POWER!!! ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 07:28:06 PM »

I think us CVO owners want to justify why we buy them. If you look at Kelly, you never get
the money you spend on a CVO back. I checked book value, and an Ultra returns more
of you hard earned money with a STOCK Ultra.
 One question that has never been answered for me is JUST how much faster is the CVO then the
Ultra? The answer may be a coupe of tenths in a quarter mile, but I've never seen the two against each other.
I know my 06 is only worth about $18k on a trade in, compare that to a standard 06 ultra?
The "TAZMUN"

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2009, 07:28:17 PM »

Keep in mind that the Limited's 103" is NOT the CVO 103" engine.  Two different animals.  I'd go with the CVO and hope that I didn't have problems with the 110"...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Ultra2010

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2009, 09:31:11 PM »

I too once tried to make a bike into something it was not, spent WAY more than if I had just bought the F'n right bike from the get go! When it comes to something like this, just go top shelf, you will have no regrets..........

boerne free bird

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE
    • CVO3: 2003 FLHRSE
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2009, 09:35:31 PM »

I have owned three CVOs, but I'll throw another option into the mix. I don't see  much advantage in a Limited compared to a base Ultra. Yes, its a 103, but most of us do engine work to all of them, including the 110. I bought a stock Ultra, converted it to a stage 3 103, added a little bit of chrome to my taste, and have invested a lot less than either of the options you are considering.

However, if one of the CVO paint schemes really grabs you, go for it. But i wouldn't buy a CVO vs other options on a future value justification. That's probably an illusion, and the cash outflow doesn't really stop on any bike after it leaves the dealership. There are numerous threads here on windshields, suspension, engine work, sound systems. etc - and this is from (primarily) CVO owners.

live free and ride safe

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 05:08:51 PM »

I purchase the Limited, but at first had my heart set on a CVO.  Once I got to the dealership and looked at the CVO on the floor, I realized that all the customization had already been done….thus the “C” in CVO.  The bike was awesome!

For me, a lot of the enjoyment is the tinkering and customizing , making it your own.  From cosmetics to fit; functionality to engine upgrades…….that is what makes this such a great hobby.  Yea, I might buy my Limited twice after figuring in the cost of all the chrome and upgrades.
But countless hours of looking through the HD parts catalog, surfing this CVO site for the next cool thing for the bike…….is priceless!

My advice is sit on it and if it make you smile :huepfenjump3:………..get it!!!

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 06:16:51 PM »

I purchase the Limited, but at first had my heart set on a CVO.  Once I got to the dealership and looked at the CVO on the floor, I realized that all the customization had already been done….thus the “C” in CVO.  The bike was awesome!

For me, a lot of the enjoyment is the tinkering and customizing , making it your own.  From cosmetics to fit; functionality to engine upgrades…….that is what makes this such a great hobby.  Yea, I might buy my Limited twice after figuring in the cost of all the chrome and upgrades.
But countless hours of looking through the HD parts catalog, surfing this CVO site for the next cool thing for the bike…….is priceless!

My advice is sit on it and if it make you smile :huepfenjump3:………..get it!!!

I think you made the right decision!
The "TAZMUN"

slamr

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2021 Sunset Orange / Sunset Black Fade
    • CVO2: 2010 Concord FLHXSE - Sold
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2009, 09:56:34 PM »

My brother just did the Limited for all the same reasons.  CVO, Limited, or just stock, you'll still spend more to "customize" than you'll admit. . . .   At least to you wife! :bananarock:

nelsonlj1

« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2009, 07:35:07 PM »

It is really just like everyone has stated already.  After trying to upgrade an Ultra Classic or an Utra Classic Limited to have everything the CVO has, you still have just what you started with in the first place. My wife and I both ride and our last purchase was matching, 2007, Ultra Classics.  After adding the chrome we wanted and the lights, and the amplifier, we still had Ultra Classics.  We just purchase two, matching of course, Burnt Amber and Hot Citrus with flames CVO's.  The only thing we brought with us to the new CVOs was the Harley-Davidson blue-tooth box.  You just can't beat the CVO!

rkpultrase

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2009, 08:15:30 PM »

At the end of the day it is what it is. A CVO has great trade in and retail used values. I have never had good luck with a non CVO on a trade or out right sale with a standard bike. You can put $5000 in upgrades but will on return 20%.

steve-o

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG Electric Orange & Jet Black
    • CVO2: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO3: 2012 SEUC Electric Orange & Black Diamond
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2009, 09:37:46 PM »

Maybe I see CVOs w/ 110 engine differently than others ?  Anyone who has ever owned a hotrod car w/a hotrod engine has probably had engine problems. My 2008 SEUC has had the heads off for leaks, 3 times. Hell, it's a HOTROD engine & I love it when I roll the throttle. Once the head updates were done, I've done nothing but enjoy the RIDE!! BUY THE CVO you only go around once!!! JMHO!!

« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 09:47:53 PM by steve-o »

tmitchellofpg

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2009, 09:36:00 AM »

Keep in mind that the Limited's 103" is NOT the CVO 103" engine.  Two different animals.  I'd go with the CVO and hope that I didn't have problems with the 110"...

What are the differences, besides more EPA restrictions?
Tom

baddog652

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCUI W/ SE103 & SE 6 SPEED
    • CVO2: 2003 FLSCTI
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2009, 10:02:40 AM »

I overheard a customer asking the dealer the same question and keep in mind the dealer makes a larger profit on the CVO but told the customer he would be better off with the 103 over the 110. He claimed the 103 was a tried and true motor and the 110 had had some issues. I researched the issues and they were addressed and fixed within the first year of it's release.

Having said that the CVO will have a far greater resale value compared to the Limited plus the CVO has ALL of the toys. If money isn't an object go CVO!

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2009, 10:54:51 AM »

I think some of us are not really that concerned with trade in values, we buy and ride what we like. Look at what people do to their "already customized bikes".
Issues with the 110 motors varies, we have a member here with 800 miles on a 2010, and a new motor sitting at the dealership to replace his broken one!
Also, have a couple members with '09- '10's with NO problems, so far. AND about 10k-13k miles.

Ask yourself, what are your goals for your new bike?? I like the idea of the 103 to do my traveling, and the others to putt around town. Kinda like having your "daily driver" and your "show car" for short rides with buddies.

Doesn't work for all, but, JMHO                                 
HOGMIKE
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 20 queries.