Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: 2010 ultra classic limited vs cvo  (Read 19555 times)

jgthomas

2010 ultra classic limited vs cvo
« on: November 22, 2009, 11:11:27 AM »

I am very close to committing to a new SEUC next week. My wife and I were discussing it and she asked me if I thought about an ultra classic limited in a custom color. It would be about 10K cheaper and then said we could chrome the front end and add an XM from our current bike and chrome the hand switches and add a heated seat and still be about 7 to 8K cheaper. I was wondering from the group who own an SEUC and have experience on the bike, what the SEUC that make it worth the premium?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: 2010 ultra classic limited vs cvo
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 11:45:16 AM »

The short answer.....look at them side by side.  The long answer.....look at the spec sheet on both.  And now for personal opinions...... :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 02:28:43 PM »

I know what you feel, I started with a fatboy then a road king classic, then a ultra. Chrome engine work, more chrome, and more engine work; trying to make my bike a CVO. :-\  After thousands spent still not a CVO just a bike with a whole lot of work. :( So I got a CVO ;D ( dame ) and I'm still doing engine work, and more chrome. :orange: But at the end of the day it's still a CVO. :2vrolijk_21: If you and your wife can do it get the CVO;  ;D. But don't hurt the pockets to do it. you can't live on a CVO.

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Hogtunes Front/Rear speakers
Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Dakota digital dash gauges
Saddlebag extensions
Clearview windshield/vent
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

brhulen

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary #1009
    • CVO2: 2002 FLSTCI Jade Sun Glo Pearl
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 05:07:59 PM »

I guess what it really boils down to is how much can you honestly afford?  Or another way to look at it is how much can you afford to lose.  If you buy the non CVO Ultra your going to spend a ton of money on chrome and other goodies yet when you turn around and sell it the resale value is based on the standard bike.  All of the chrome, and other installs are not factored in.  Of course we all think our bike is worth a heck of alot more than the ridiculous amount that is shown, but that's what the lending institutions work off of.  They could care less what you've squandered (their opinion, not mine!) your hard earned money on.  Now as to the CVO, you're going to pay a huge chunk of change right up front, but you've got virtually everything you've ever wanted and then some.  There is still plenty of room to make it uniquely your own.  The nice part of all this is when it comes time to sell, you'll get a much higher value based on the fact it's a CVO.  Having said that it is still possible to get upside down with a CVO as well.  Don't get in over your head if that is a factor, but if you can afford it, you can't go wrong with the CVO.

Brett
Brett in AK

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 05:18:01 PM »

With the CVO Ultra you get all the extra chrome, way better sound system, painted inner fairing, way more power, etc, etc, etc. The list goes on and on. You could spend $3000, $4000 or $5000 upgrading a Ultra Limited, but after doing all that you would still have a Ultra Limited. So it really boils down to what you and your wife want. We have an Ultra and a CVO Ultra. We enjoy both but the CVO is our baby. Like JCZ said, "look at them side by side" and I bet you and your wife will walk away with the CVO.    

How is the sound system better?

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 06:12:31 PM »

Get the CVO.  I have over 33K in my 03 Fatboy with all the stuff to make what I wanted.  I have about the same on the CVO road glide because I added lowers and a tour pack.

The CVO will retain more of the money spent. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 07:21:29 PM »

I guess what it really boils down to is how much can you honestly afford?  Or another way to look at it is how much can you afford to lose.  If you buy the non CVO Ultra your going to spend a ton of money on chrome and other goodies yet when you turn around and sell it the resale value is based on the standard bike.  All of the chrome, and other installs are not factored in.  Of course we all think our bike is worth a heck of alot more than the ridiculous amount that is shown, but that's what the lending institutions work off of.  They could care less what you've squandered (their opinion, not mine!) your hard earned money on.  Now as to the CVO, you're going to pay a huge chunk of change right up front, but you've got virtually everything you've ever wanted and then some.  There is still plenty of room to make it uniquely your own.  The nice part of all this is when it comes time to sell, you'll get a much higher value based on the fact it's a CVO.  Having said that it is still possible to get upside down with a CVO as well.  Don't get in over your head if that is a factor, but if you can afford it, you can't go wrong with the CVO.

Brett
Well said... that's about it in a nutshell. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

NVTHIS

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Fatboy, Copperhead Red
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 - Burnt Amber & Hot Citrus and Flames
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 11:09:58 PM »

Get the CVO if you can, because if not you going to wish you did. I was in the same spot and ran the number over and over. Plus, resale value, period.

Chris  :2vrolijk_21:
This site is like the Mafia, once you get in you can't get out.

redrodo

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2016 CVO Limited
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 11:18:33 PM »

Same as everyone else. I've had two other Ultras spent a lot of money on chrome. Didn't get that money back. Was going to buy a new one because of frame change and the way I figured it was cheaper to buy the CVO in the end. Besides I can't remember a time that when passing or seeing a CVO in a parking lot I didn't think, damn what a beautiful bike. Doesn't matter what year, model or color they are all attention getters.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 06:38:20 AM »

Same as everyone else. I've had two other Ultras spent a lot of money on chrome. Didn't get that money back. Was going to buy a new one because of frame change and the way I figured it was cheaper to buy the CVO in the end. Besides I can't remember a time that when passing or seeing a CVO in a parking lot I didn't think, damn what a beautiful bike. Doesn't matter what year, model or color they are all attention getters.

I second this!  I was also one of those people that said some day I would like to have one of those. As time went by I still said, one day. Then the day came and I have never looked back.  I just admire everyone elses and love to keep up on the changes.  I know myself that no matter what I had done to my non CVO bike it would still be a non CVO and I would still dream about getting one.

Another thing that to concider is insurance.  I believe that the insurance companies only cover up to $1,000 in extras before you have to get extra insurance.  So what ever you do to a non CVO the insurance company only looks at the bike for what it is.  You could have a beautiful UC with custom paint and every chrome part you can think of and without the extra insurance if something were to happen it would be a loss. As it would be a loss if you were going to sell it too. I was always told that what ever you add to a bike is a bonus to the next person because you will never see the money for it.  It may make your bike stand out and be the difference in selling it in a month vs. 6 months. So If you buy the CVO, everything the bike came with would have to be covered by insurance for it was standard on that model. I know that the insurance on a CVO is a little more than a non CVO but it is worth it.

My $.02

Topper
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 07:39:43 AM »

No one mentioned that the Limited has the 103 engine, and this may be considered by some to be a less problematic motor. I almost bought an Ultra for this reason alone.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 07:59:58 AM »

No one mentioned that the Limited has the 103 engine, and this may be considered by some to be a less problematic motor. I almost bought an Ultra for this reason alone.

With the CVO Ultra you get all the extra chrome, way better sound system, painted inner fairing, way more power, etc, etc, etc. The list goes on and on. You could spend $3000, $4000 or $5000 upgrading a Ultra Limited, but after doing all that you would still have a Ultra Limited. So it really boils down to what you and your wife want. We have an Ultra and a CVO Ultra. We enjoy both but the CVO is our baby. Like JCZ said, "look at them side by side" and I bet you and your wife will walk away with the CVO.    

You are right AIR-COOLED...  The UC = 96 inch motor    UC-L = 103 inch motor  and the SEUC = 110 inch motor.  
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 08:04:38 AM by 49445CVO »
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 08:35:11 AM »

Get the CVO, It's almost a NO brainer.....

napalm
napalm

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 10:08:22 AM »

I guess what it really boils down to is how much can you honestly afford?  Or another way to look at it is how much can you afford to lose.  If you buy the non CVO Ultra your going to spend a ton of money on chrome and other goodies yet when you turn around and sell it the resale value is based on the standard bike.  All of the chrome, and other installs are not factored in.  Of course we all think our bike is worth a heck of alot more than the ridiculous amount that is shown, but that's what the lending institutions work off of.  They could care less what you've squandered (their opinion, not mine!) your hard earned money on.  Now as to the CVO, you're going to pay a huge chunk of change right up front, but you've got virtually everything you've ever wanted and then some.  There is still plenty of room to make it uniquely your own.  The nice part of all this is when it comes time to sell, you'll get a much higher value based on the fact it's a CVO.  Having said that it is still possible to get upside down with a CVO as well.  Don't get in over your head if that is a factor, but if you can afford it, you can't go wrong with the CVO.

Brett

Oh yes you can.  It's a 110" nuclear power plant.  Sorry but I've have not healed from that debacle POS motor, cupping tires, tranny leak, on and on an on.
One positive, I love my CVO FXR4 because it's an EVO and built when quality was much higher and Chinese content much lower.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 10:10:00 AM by skreminegul07 »
Any day on the bike is a good day.

brhulen

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary #1009
    • CVO2: 2002 FLSTCI Jade Sun Glo Pearl
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 02:56:05 PM »

Oh yes you can.  It's a 110" nuclear power plant.  Sorry but I've have not healed from that debacle POS motor, cupping tires, tranny leak, on and on an on.
One positive, I love my CVO FXR4 because it's an EVO and built when quality was much higher and Chinese content much lower.
Well, perhaps the majority of the problems have been resolved on the "10's"  One thing I will say about all Forums in general is they seem to express more negativity than anything else.  As an example the last three vehicles I bought have all been great to me.  Yet when I researched the respective forums all I seemed to find was gripes, beetches (sic) and complaints.  I've got to tell you they have been virtually trouble free.  I can say one thing and that is my CVO has been great and I don't hesitate about recommending it to those who inquire.  Yes I've had the heated grip issues, and had the heads replaced although they were not leaking (yet?)  ::)  I do see where you have/had two other CVO's, so you must not be too discouraged and that's a good thing.  Also a general statement regarding quality, most everything built today does not have the quality or attention to detail that seemed to exist years ago.  For the most part it has become a throw away society.  I still say buy the new CVO!
Brett in AK
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 20 queries.