Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Lets see your CCW  (Read 22487 times)

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Lets see your CCW
« Reply #135 on: August 29, 2011, 08:54:57 AM »

Thats a nice one! I want one along the lines of the Ultra CDP II (LG) LG means the laser is in the grip.
I thought I did too. But it had more bite than I wanted when I shot it!!

Mike

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #136 on: August 29, 2011, 10:55:46 AM »

Thats a nice one! I want one along the lines of the Ultra CDP II (LG) LG means the laser is in the grip.
My CCW is a Springfield Stainless Utra Compact with Crimson Trace grips. I'm not sure I'd go Kimber with anything less than a full size 5" for CCW. Seems the smaller Kimbers run into a disproportionate amount of FTF's, even with 230 ball.  My Springfield will reliably shoot anything you stick into it, including JHP.
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Half_Crazy

« Reply #137 on: August 29, 2011, 11:07:32 AM »

Colt 1991 Compact .45 ACP

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #138 on: August 29, 2011, 09:59:57 PM »

My CCW is a Springfield Stainless Utra Compact with Crimson Trace grips. I'm not sure I'd go Kimber with anything less than a full size 5" for CCW. Seems the smaller Kimbers run into a disproportionate amount of FTF's, even with 230 ball.  My Springfield will reliably shoot anything you stick into it, including JHP.
Interesting. My mind is not coming up with the exact words of what "FTF's" mean. Some type of jam/ammo feeding problem. Have you found this out first hand? Not really been reading gun news lately but haven't heard of any problems with the short barrel Kimbers. Like your Springfield my 3" barrel Detonics has been very reliable with all types of ammo. Thanks for the info I will keep that in mind and ask some people in the know about any problems. You would hope and think that a pistol that cost's as much as a Kimber would not have any kind of issues.   
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #139 on: August 29, 2011, 10:18:22 PM »

I think he is using "FTF's" as Failure To Feed. Most good quality guns don't have much of a problem with this since the feedramps are shallow or polished compaired to cheaper guns or semi-autos made 40 years ago and fresh out of the box then.
The biggest cause of FTF is shooter induced "limp wristing" or weak hold on the weapon. The semi-auto needs a firm platform to recoil against to cycle properly. If it is held loose it will "short cycle" and not eject or feed the next round properly.
Sometimes a semi-auto can jam due to very tight tolerances and being very dirty. Loose fitting parts (within reason) makes the gun more dependable yet is less accurate in general. So a good middle ground is desirable for a defensive weapon. Recoil springs can be replaced in various strengths such as strong for street loads and weaker for light target loads that can help with dependability too.

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #140 on: August 29, 2011, 11:55:37 PM »

I think he is using "FTF's" as Failure To Feed. Most good quality guns don't have much of a problem with this since the feedramps are shallow or polished compaired to cheaper guns or semi-autos made 40 years ago and fresh out of the box then.
The biggest cause of FTF is shooter induced "limp wristing" or weak hold on the weapon. The semi-auto needs a firm platform to recoil against to cycle properly. If it is held loose it will "short cycle" and not eject or feed the next round properly.
Sometimes a semi-auto can jam due to very tight tolerances and being very dirty. Loose fitting parts (within reason) makes the gun more dependable yet is less accurate in general. So a good middle ground is desirable for a defensive weapon. Recoil springs can be replaced in various strengths such as strong for street loads and weaker for light target loads that can help with dependability too.
Ah, thanks "Failure to Feed". I think you had a very accurate cause of the problem. I don't think FTF will be a problem for me...I've been called a lot of things but "limp wristed" has not been one of them. I have not fired the Kimber that I want but I have held it and drooled on it enough that the local gun shop guy knows my name.lol
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #141 on: August 30, 2011, 12:04:01 PM »

Yes, FTF is failure to feed. While limp-wristing any .45 can be an issue, the fact is, all else equal, that will effect a full size vs a compact similarly.  As such, I feel there is something definitely to the situation with the smaller Kimbers and their disproportionate number of FTF/FTE.  Not that it's a deal killer by any means, but I think it's a function of the tight tolerances, crappy stock mags, and the slightly different geometry. On any Kimber, the first thing you do before shooting one is to chit-can the stock mag and get a few KimPro Tacs.  Those will solve a good portion of any feed issues. Even my 5" SIS wouldn't work reliably until the stock mag was replaced. I knoew better with my TLE/RL and swapped immedaitely and that has been flawless.  Then it's a function of getting some rounds throught them. I think Kimber says the break-in is around 600 rounds, but I think they really start coming around at 1,000. Swap to a 16# Wolff recoil spring, and you'll be set. However, out of the box, I still wouldn't put my life on the line with a Compact Kimber.  Read some of the Kimber forums, go to some combat shooting events and develop your own opinion.  I love my Kimbers, and will gladly carry a 5" if the attire allows, but not a Kimber Ultra - I've just seen too many jams with experienced shooters for my taste.  My SF Ultra after 5,000+ has never hiccupped ever and I believe in sticking with what works.  That's my .02 fwiw.  Good luck, and whatever you get, shoot the heck out of it.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #142 on: August 30, 2011, 12:06:48 PM »

Any ftf with my kimber cdp has been the kimber mag...bought some wilson combat mags  and presto...not one since. :confused5:

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #143 on: August 30, 2011, 12:16:36 PM »

Any ftf with my kimber cdp has been the kimber mag...bought some wilson combat mags  and presto...not one since. :confused5:

Yep, the stockers are horrible!  I will say though that the KimPro Tacs are every bit as good as the Wilsons, McCormicks, etc. Also, I just saw Midway had them on sale for $22.  Good deal.

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #144 on: August 30, 2011, 12:50:58 PM »

I CCW a Glock 36 or a Chiappa rhino revolver .357 mag
If you need more than 6 shots to defend yourself, consider yourself in real trouble.

MY2NDCVO

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #145 on: August 30, 2011, 03:04:43 PM »

This is my number one weapon.

MY2NDCVO

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #146 on: August 30, 2011, 03:12:21 PM »

This is my backup weapon. Beretta PX 4 Storm Sub Compact 40cal.

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #147 on: August 30, 2011, 03:35:19 PM »

Ok I lied. this is my conceal.   ;)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #148 on: August 31, 2011, 08:23:35 AM »

Yep, the stockers are horrible!  I will say though that the KimPro Tacs are every bit as good as the Wilsons, McCormicks, etc. Also, I just saw Midway had them on sale for $22.  Good deal.
Just got some Wilson Combat mags....interestingly, they included info that said that their mags require a 'break-in' to be reliable.  Guess their springs are just that strong to allow for being continually loaded.  :-\ spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #149 on: August 31, 2011, 10:02:49 AM »

By break-in, what do they suggest?  I've always heard that the best thing to do is simply load them up, and leave them that way.  That's always worked for me.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.