Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Fram Oil Filter  (Read 19601 times)

indcoltz

• Full CVO Member
Fram Oil Filter
« on: January 17, 2010, 02:37:02 AM »

Part # PH6065A, PH6065B, Yes they do make it in chrome and O'Rieleys Auto Parts stock them. Does anyone know what micron they are???? 5 or 10 microns. I do know they are only $9.95 retail. They are also advertised in American Iron Magazine towards the back. My local dealer gets $15.00 a pop for Harley Oil Filters. Also while on the Fram web they provide the brand names and part numbers of several other manufacturers of HD filters. If you all already are aware of this, sorry, if not it might be worth looking into.

yellowhog

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
Re: Fram Oil Filter
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 09:13:56 AM »

Just a word of caution to those of us looking to find "cheaper" ways to change our oil.  I know we all hate having to spend $60 or more just to change our motorcycle oil.  And the more we ride, the more frequently we have to spend that money.  I've done some research lately on this subject and I've found that you have to be REALLY careful about what oil and filters you use.  I've found that Harley definitely does not make the best filters or oil either for that matter.  There are better products out there.  You may want to do some of your own research on this subject.  You can start here if you want...http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html#OilFilters

I've found that Amsoil and Mobil 1 both are better oils and that you should NEVER use FRAM products on ANY of your vehicles.  We have all been brainwashed by vehicle manufacturers (both car & motorcycle) regarding our maintenance products.  If you spend some time researching this subject, I think you will find that there are  cheaper, BETTER alternatives.  I hope this helps...

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 09:24:37 AM »

Just a word of caution to those of us looking to find "cheaper" ways to change our oil.  I know we all hate having to spend $60 or more just to change our motorcycle oil.  And the more we ride, the more frequently we have to spend that money.  I've done some research lately on this subject and I've found that you have to be REALLY careful about what oil and filters you use.  I've found that Harley definitely does not make the best filters or oil either for that matter.  There are better products out there.  You may want to do some of your own research on this subject.  You can start here if you want...http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html#OilFilters

I've found that Amsoil and Mobil 1 both are better oils and that you should NEVER use FRAM products on ANY of your vehicles.  We have all been brainwashed by vehicle manufacturers (both car & motorcycle) regarding our maintenance products.  If you spend some time researching this subject, I think you will find that there are  cheaper, BETTER alternatives.  I hope this helps...
changed my mind about filters for sure and thanks for sharing
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 09:55:37 AM by smkymtnboy »

yellowhog

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 09:54:25 AM »

You're welcome.  I've been concerned with the same thing for a while now.  I'm tired of being brainwashed into blindly spending a small fortune on the bike.  A little research goes a long way.  I'm definitely going to switch to Mobil 1 oil.  As far as filters go, I'm going to do some more research before I decide what to do.  The Sny3 oil was rated around #4 in tests.  The Mobil 1 holds its viscosity much better.  Anyway, I'm glad I could help...

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 10:02:08 AM »

if they're only 5-10 microns, I wouldn't use them
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 03:51:51 PM »

Diameter of average human hair 70 microns
Lower limit of visibility (naked eye) 40 microns
White blood cells 25 microns
Talcum powder 10 microns
Red blood cells 8 microns
Bacteria 2 microns
Carbon black 0.6 microns
Tobacco smoke 0.5 microns

A filter that is marked or rated "5 micron" has a capability to capture particles as small as 5 micrometers. Higher micron rating filters will give you a little better oil flow.

Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2010, 05:41:11 PM »

I don't want any of that stuff in my oil

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 06:21:27 PM »

if they're only 5-10 microns, I wouldn't use them

What's the filter rating of a Harley filter?  Seems to me I don't remember many of them being rated better than 10 microns.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 06:24:52 PM »

They are made by champion. I believe I read they were 19 micron

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 06:26:47 PM »

Then a 5 micron would filter more, but be more restrictive on oil flow, so bypass more, which means more crap in the oil, rather than the filter.

FWIW, I have heard that the fram filters were inferior, not because of their micron rating, but because the filter media has a tendency to break down and end up in the oil.

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 08:53:59 PM »

HD makes a 5 micron .
SuperPremium5™ Oil Filters - 5 Micron
Utilizing advances in synthetic media technology, the SuperPremium Oil Filters are TEST-CERTIFIED to provide filtration to retain dust, soot and other solid matter with low internal pressure relief and anti-drain back valves. Available in black or chrome.http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?WebLogicSession=LT8oCrwse2mjHQPzX18hOVE1vzhkgnN3BxKejnapeaggNZmAd6TN
Made by Champion labs. http://www.champlabs.com/
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

yellowhog

• Vendor
  • Senior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 09:12:31 PM »

I think some further research is necessary...

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 09:15:01 PM »

What's the filter rating of a Harley filter?  Seems to me I don't remember many of them being rated better than 10 microns.
Steve FLHTK, In the Harley catalogue on page 784 they say that their superpremium oil filter (part no. 63798-99A )is rated at 5 microns, and that it can be substituted as an upgrade for several other of their oil filters one of them being  63796-77A , which is what I use on my EVO style S&S engine. I am going to ask my HD mechanic about that. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 09:19:59 PM »

Incoltz, I asked my HD parts guy about a K&N oil filter for my 09SEUC and he said part no. KN-171C would work. However, I don't know what microns the K&N is. I was wondering if anyone knows. The reason I asked about it was because it has the nut attached to the end for easier removal. CAHDBIKER

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 09:40:57 PM »

Incoltz,regarding your topic of oil filters. We are all concerned about our oil and our filters of course. I use redline 20-60 in my 09 SEUC and the recommended HD filter. I use amsoil 60 Wt Synthetic in my EVO style S&S 107 in my 95 Heritage and the recommended HD filter. On of my riding buddys has a 2001 Heritage Classic with the 88B engine.(which he got new)  All he ever uses is the HD 20-50 Dino oil and the recommended HD filters. He went through two sets of the old style cam shoes (Fixed under warranty).Then at about 160,000 miles he installed new rings, and  a S&S 510 gear drive cam set. At about 185,000 miles the tensioning system for the balancers went out and pretty much destroyed his engine so he had to do the HD remanufacture, otherwise he still might be going strong with his original engine on just the regular HD 20-50 and HD filters. I just makes me wonder if all the extra money we spend for the synthetics is really worth it. CAHDBIKER.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 20 queries.