Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Oil Temp gauge  (Read 10073 times)

wreckman 42

• Full CVO Member
Oil Temp gauge
« on: February 22, 2010, 08:27:48 PM »

I was thinking about installing the fairing oil temp gauge. I take it that the MoCo still has not come out with the matching SEUC unit yet. Is anyone having any luck with the ones they sell or should I just save the money? I searched old posts and seems that there are problems mounting and not quit fitting correctly.
1956 FL Panhead
2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade
2003 Heritage Softail
2009 SE Ultra Classic

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
Re: Oil Temp gauge
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 09:37:45 PM »

I was thinking about installing the fairing oil temp gauge. I take it that the MoCo still has not come out with the matching SEUC unit yet. Is anyone having any luck with the ones they sell or should I just save the money? I searched old posts and seems that there are problems mounting and not quit fitting correctly.

bump

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 09:39:57 PM »

I've installed a half dozen.  No problems with physical fit nor function.  They aren't 100% exact matching in appearance to the other small diameter instruments.  But close enough even I don't notice the difference unless I make myself look for it.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 09:55:06 PM »

I've installed a half dozen.  No problems with physical fit nor function.  They aren't 100% exact matching in appearance to the other small diameter instruments.  But close enough even I don't notice the difference unless I make myself look for it.

Does the lighting exactly match the other gauges at night? My understanding is that the spun aluminum oil temp gauge does not match from a night time lighting perspective. Is this no longer an issue and do you have a part number that is a "perfect 100%" match for the gauges on a 2010 SE Ultra?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 09:57:28 PM »

Does the lighting exactly match the other gauges at night. My understanding is that the spun aluminum oil temp gauge does not match from a night time lighting perspective. Is this no longer and issue and do you have a part number that is a "perfect 100%" match for the gauges on a 2010 SE Ultra?

From what everyone has written of comparisons to the current model bikes the gauge's illumination is completely different.  There is no new part number; at least not yet.  Aside from the illumination comparison there are also a couple of other subtle differences in the needle and needle stops.  There is not yet a gauge that's a dead on match.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 10:03:09 PM »

From what everyone has written of comparisons to the current model bikes the gauge's illumination is completely different.  There is no new part number; at least not yet.  Aside from the illumination comparison there are also a couple of other subtle differences in the needle and needle stops.  There is not yet a gauge that's a dead on match.

That's what I thought, so I was surprised when Twolane said it was a "100% exact" match.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2010, 10:06:12 PM »

That's what I thought, so I was surprised when Twolane said it was a "100% exact" match.

You can't trust Twolane.  He's a liar and a bastard.  

I've installed a half dozen.  No problems with physical fit nor function.  They aren't 100% exact matching in appearance to the other small diameter instruments.  

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 10:33:41 PM »

You can't trust Twolane.  He's a liar and a bastard.  

Oops...my bad. Misread the post.

Although all the other posts I've read on the HD oil temp gauge suggests that the lighting doesn't match, the needle stop pins are missing and light can be seen around the bezel where it shouldn't be visible. Are these past gauge differences still there or is there any oil temp gauge that's a perfect match for spun aluminum gauges?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2010, 12:47:10 AM »

Oops...my bad. Misread the post.

Although all the other posts I've read on the HD oil temp gauge suggests that the lighting doesn't match, the needle stop pins are missing and light can be seen around the bezel where it shouldn't be visible. Are these past gauge differences still there or is there any oil temp gauge that's a perfect match for spun aluminum gauges?

Those variations are all still there.  That's as close as it gets.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2010, 06:30:00 AM »

Those variations are all still there.  That's as close as it gets.

Thanks for the clarification. Let's hope that the MoCo gets their supplier's Quality Control and specs improved. There's really no excuse for such a shoddy mismatched part being offerred with an HD part #. Inexcusable IMO but just another example of HD taking short cuts at their customer's expense. I'm afraid there's a tough day of reckoning in the future.

td119

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 09:36:22 AM »

I agree with Heatwave, MOCO needs to look at the quality of their products and stop assuming the folks who purchase their products are to stupid to realize the oil temp gauge does not match!!  When I purchased my  09SERG last June the first thing I did before the bike left the dealer was replace the "air" gauge with the oil temp at the dealer recommendation because the 110's run "hot".  When I picked up the bike the miss match gauge was the first thing I saw. Dealer response was "what do you want me to do it's a Harley"  :confused5:  Nice response to a customer who just dropped $35K !!! >:(

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2010, 10:56:51 AM »

Thanks for the clarification. Let's hope that the MoCo gets their supplier's Quality Control and specs improved. There's really no excuse for such a shoddy mismatched part being offerred with an HD part #. Inexcusable IMO but just another example of HD taking short cuts at their customer's expense. I'm afraid there's a tough day of reckoning in the future.

Well......   in a funny way it's not mismatched.  They just matched up against the wrong instruments.

When someone was instructed "go match the silver instruments for an oil temp gauge" that person did exactly as he was told.  He (or she) grabbed a speedo or tach and built a dead-on match.  Needles, needle stops, etc.  Ooops.

Trouble is the smaller diameter instruments aren't like the larger diameter speedo and tach.  Ooops.

It isn't a gross difference.  But it is a difference.  It was even weirder when they were first released though.

At initial release the group here had (and showed pictures of) at least three different variations of the silver oil temp gauge.  And this is the then newly released HD product.  We're not discussing that really way off McEwen (sic?) aftermarket gauge that wasn't even close.

All in the same part number (no revisions) there were at least three different looks to the silver oil temp gauge.  Perhaps three different subs building them?  Who knows.  But for awhile they were all on the shelves at the same time.  So while mother Harley never got the gauge exactly right they did give themselves options from which to choose the one that was least wrong :huepfenlol2: .

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 11:53:59 AM »

I installed this gauge in my bike, looks ok if you do not compare it to the other gauges and it does what I want to keep an eye on the oil temp. Back light at night not even close. but it does work.   Doc

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2010, 01:49:54 PM »

Well......   in a funny way it's not mismatched.  They just matched up against the wrong instruments.

When someone was instructed "go match the silver instruments for an oil temp gauge" that person did exactly as he was told.  He (or she) grabbed a speedo or tach and built a dead-on match.  Needles, needle stops, etc.  Ooops.

Trouble is the smaller diameter instruments aren't like the larger diameter speedo and tach.  Ooops.

It isn't a gross difference.  But it is a difference.  It was even weirder when they were first released though.

At initial release the group here had (and showed pictures of) at least three different variations of the silver oil temp gauge.  And this is the then newly released HD product.  We're not discussing that really way off McEwen (sic?) aftermarket gauge that wasn't even close.

All in the same part number (no revisions) there were at least three different looks to the silver oil temp gauge.  Perhaps three different subs building them?  Who knows.  But for awhile they were all on the shelves at the same time.  So while mother Harley never got the gauge exactly right they did give themselves options from which to choose the one that was least wrong :huepfenlol2: .

Heck mistakes happen. But it's been more than enough time since this spun aluminum gauges was released to get this part "right". In my opinion, its inexcusable and a reflection of a company that doesn't give a damn. If they cared, they would have immediately forced their supplier to make the part correctly within months ...not years. I believe its a sign of the times and the sign of times to come with HD.

This is but one small sign of why HD's sales are off by more than 40%. Owners of their bikes need to stop making excuses for HD and hold their feet to the fire.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 01:51:48 PM by Heatwave »

Ultra2010

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 03:10:56 PM »

Heck mistakes happen. But it's been more than enough time since this spun aluminum gauges was released to get this part "right". In my opinion, its inexcusable and a reflection of a company that doesn't give a damn. If they cared, they would have immediately forced their supplier to make the part correctly within months ...not years. I believe its a sign of the times and the sign of times to come with HD.

This is but one small sign of why HD's sales are off by more than 40%. Owners of their bikes need to stop making excuses for HD and hold their feet to the fire.

+10 on that. Heck, I have yet to get a recall notice even though my servicing dealer said they looked it up and I should of been notified.  I have since had the safety recall work completed anyway. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 20 queries.