Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Race Tuner vs Power Commander vs Accelel SLM? HELP  (Read 14165 times)

JavaJ

Race Tuner vs Power Commander vs Accelel SLM? HELP
« on: April 22, 2010, 01:36:10 AM »

I am so confused- Please can someone give me some recommendations
Everyone I talk to tells me something else
I just want the bike to not run like a wash machine
I almost have 1,000 miles as soon as I do the first service at Harley I want to change Exhaust to either Bassani or Rinehart 2 into 1
Change the air filter to a high performance and do either the race tuner, power commander or Accelel SLM but everyone I speak to tells me something different. Please any advise would be greatly appreciate.  I have two other carb bikes that have some work done that run great.
Thanks

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: Race Tuner vs Power Commander vs Accelel SLM? HELP
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 07:52:16 AM »

:confused5: :confused5:

First and foremost, there are lots of choices. 

Here is my take on the situation having had the SERT and the PC.

The HD SSERT for the newer bikes is a decent product (and can be very goo).  It almost entirely depends on the mechanic who DYno tunes the bike.  With a good Dyno tune the bike will run great.  However, this is really depends on the skill of the tuner.  Plus, any changes you might make to the bike in the future (new exhaust, cams etc) will require another 6 hours of Dyno time at whatever price.  This solution will work and is very popular (especially if the Dyno tune is done at your local HD dealer).

The PC V with autotune ( my personal preference) uses WB sensors, a good base map and the autotune feature to continuously "tune" the bike.  I have now had both the HD and the PC V and prefer the PC V because I am continually changing something on the bike and the PC V allows me to "not" have to get a Dyno.  That said the purist HD guys will tell you (and they are right) that even with the PC V you should have the bike Dyno's to make sure the base map was good.  I haven't done this ever but at trade shows I will periodically have a quick Dyno run for $50 just to see where it is.  It has always been very good (so good in fact that most of the tuners don;t recommend changing it).  Again, I could have spent 6 hours and for sure increased the HP and torque some amount.

Don't know anything about the Accel product and thus can't comment.

A good tune and the HD SSERT or the PC V (with autotune) are very good choices. 

:coolblue: :coolblue:

P.S. - The reason there are so many opinions is the same reason why some like different, bikes, colors and options.   
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 05:07:36 PM »

JavaJ,

I saw you originally posted this in the FLSTSE forum so I am assuming you have the Softail Convertible. If that's the case you really don't need to change the air cleaner because it is already a high flow model. As far as the computer, be careful of any modules that "supplement" the stock ECM on this bike because there is almost no room under the seat and the module will not fit (as one owner found out the hard way).  An additional option is the TTS which seems to be a popular choice for the Convertible but certainly one of many good alternatives available.

MikeV
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 08:09:43 PM »

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

I agree.  My softail custom had just enough room for the PC V.  THe SERT would be a good choice.

:coolblue: :coolblue:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

JavaJ

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 01:19:43 AM »

Thanks so much for your replies- and yes Mike, I just bought a CVO Softail Convertible. I thought it had the high flow air cleaner wasn't sure- thanks.
My brother in law who has worked on all my bikes however he's an old S & S, Hooker Headers guy wants to put this new Accelel SLM Autotuner on but I'm not sure about that. Mind he has done a great job with my 2002 Low Rider and my 2004 Heritage and I like the old school however since I sold my 2008 Scream Eagle Road King Anniversary with Rinehart exhausts and the race tuner the 86cu inch seem so sluggis.
We have one good Harley Dealer in the area that knows his ___ from his ___ when it comes to the dyno machine.
Yes, I did see that post where the guy had the PC sent to him and it didn't fit so that's out for sure.
Thanks again-
Jill

Scotty

• Full CVO Member
  • Scotty's Road Glide
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 03:23:22 PM »

My advice would be to go with your tuners choice..He probably will do a better job of tuning with what ever he knows
best.....You will get all kinds of advice here on the forum but your tuner is the one working on it..  GOOD LUCK
09 SERG
Andrews 54 Cams
SE Heavy Breather
V&H Power Duals
Fullsac 2.0 Baffles
Heads by "Freds Heads"
SE Pro Super Tuner

jonandflo

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 05:10:56 PM »

A "skilled" dyno tuner can spend hours, and lots of money, to tune your bike to the exact conditions at the time of the tune: barometric pressure, altitude, temperature, octane etc, and the tuning will be off as soon as you drive to Colorado with cooler temps and higher altitude. It will be off the first time you chose to modify your bike. Why not go with a closed loop, self tuning device, like the PCV with auto-tune, which supplements the existing Delphi ECU, or with the Thundermax, which replaces the Delphi ECU. Both units can be loaded with a base map that approximates your bike, and will auto-tune continuoulsy for optimum performance. I recently installed the thundermax on my 2009 SERG and couldn't be happier. The Thundermax is expensive, but cheaper than that second dyno tune. I prefer the thundermax becase it is easier to install than the PCV, and allows you access to virtually every ECU feature, such as idle warm speed. If I ever decide to modify my bike again, I can install a new base map in about 20 minutes with a USB cable to my laptop, and the thundermax will fine tune the fuel maps by riding, and probably better than any dyno tuner could. Just my 2 cents worth. No offense to you hard working dyno tuners out there.

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 05:34:19 PM »

You may want to keep in mind that the new SSERT has a thumb drive module that will allow you to gather data while riding and apply changes to your map. This while not continuous "Autotune" will give you a method to tune your bike without dyno time.

As a tech trained on PC-V and a user of this and the V&H Fuel pak personall I'm using the SSERT on my SESG.

I do not care for the meditation method of adding another point of failure between the ECM and injection / ignition. Unnecessary complication to a system already capable of delivering if properly adjusted.

These intermediary tuners have a place in the older non O2 sensor bikes. Not so much in the Delphi O2 equipped units. They do accomplish their stated function but experience shows the simplest configuration is usually the best and most reliable.

The original SERT is a very good solution with the same capabilities the exception being the "Thumb Drive" it requires a laptop be carried to get live data for updating the base map.

Using the SERT (TTS) or the SSERT (HD) doesnt require you add anything to the bike taking up the little space available.

RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 07:57:28 PM »

Whatever you decide, don't waste your money on the Accel so-called tuner, or the various "tuner" boxes promoted by the various exhaust companies.  You need to read the blurb Accel puts out, and then closely read the details, and then read between the lines.  When you get done reading, you will find that the unit doesn't seem to do much at all on a late model bike other than lighten your wallet.  If your only choice is no tuner or this device, I'd stick with no tuner. 

From their own web site:

"What is the ACCEL factory pre-set air/fuel ratio on this unit?

The SLM unit operates along with the factories preset fuel/ignition calibration files, along with the Delphi's "ION" ignition system. The SLM unit and Delphi ECU are trying to produce a stoichiometric mixture of air to fuel ratio of 14.7 to1 with/no load, and with load the reading may be as low as 12.8 to 13.5 as an example. The SLM unit has a closed throttle which will exceed above the 14.7 to 1. The air to fuel ratio will reflect the factories preset fuel/ignition calibration files."

http://www.accel-motorcycle.com/Blog.aspx?ID=5

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 09:11:48 PM »

You may want to keep in mind that the new SSERT has a thumb drive module that will allow you to gather data while riding and apply changes to your map. This while not continuous "Autotune" will give you a method to tune your bike without dyno time.

As a tech trained on PC-V and a user of this and the V&H Fuel pak personall I'm using the SSERT on my SESG.

I do not care for the meditation method of adding another point of failure between the ECM and injection / ignition. Unnecessary complication to a system already capable of delivering if properly adjusted.

These intermediary tuners have a place in the older non O2 sensor bikes. Not so much in the Delphi O2 equipped units. They do accomplish their stated function but experience shows the simplest configuration is usually the best and most reliable.

The original SERT is a very good solution with the same capabilities the exception being the "Thumb Drive" it requires a laptop be carried to get live data for updating the base map.

Using the SERT (TTS) or the SSERT (HD) doesnt require you add anything to the bike taking up the little space available.

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
HOGMIKE

worshipduder

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 10:29:37 PM »

By the TTS, tune it yourself, be done with it, and RIDE :orange: :orange:
2010 FLXHSE Candy Concord
V&H Power Duals
V&H Hi-Output Slip-ons
TTS Mastertune
Feuling Reaper 574 Camchest Kit
Feuling Oil Pump
Dyno'd at 116 HP & 118 TQ
C&C Flame Stitched Seat
Wild 1 Chubby 575s
PM Contour Touring Mirrors
J&M 7.25 Speakers & 250 Watt Amp
Hogtunes Hogpod
Riders Claw
HD Contoured Heated Hand Grips
Wicked Image Flame Shift Linkage
Klock Werks Flare 8.5
HD Electra-Glo™ Light Pod Kit
Kury License Plate

dep47

• Full CVO Member
  • What a color
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 09:45:50 AM »

I am off tomorrow to have V&H true duals and Monster Ovals installed and a PC-v turner added.   This was the set up he recommended for my 010 CVO Ultra.  He always uses the PC, and has a good reputation in the area of being able to tune the bike on the dyno to match the riders requirements.  This will be my first tuner and dyno, so I am hoping for big things.  Any thing I sould be looking for when the bike is dynoed? 

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 09:56:08 AM »

I am off tomorrow to have V&H true duals and Monster Ovals installed and a PC-v turner added.   This was the set up he recommended for my 010 CVO Ultra.  He always uses the PC, and has a good reputation in the area of being able to tune the bike on the dyno to match the riders requirements.  This will be my first tuner and dyno, so I am hoping for big things.  Any thing I sould be looking for when the bike is dynoed

See if you get a full report of the dyno run.
Ride the bike for a few miles and see if the bike runs smoothly throughout the rpm/load range.
You want smooth power delivery, and no pops, farts, surges or the like as you ride.
Good starting and idle, all the things you would expect from a stock bike that you DON'T get from the factory!!
 :2vrolijk_21:
HOGMIKE

Dood2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 01:25:49 PM »

I am far from an expert. I also have a FLSTSE . I chaged the pipes and it ran like crap. Back cylinder shut down in a blink of a eye. Took it to the dealer they did the race tuner. Runs great. HAd a power commander on my dresser nothing but problems.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 01:32:14 PM »

I would let the tuner know how you ride, what's your priorities, mileage, HP, smoothness, two up riding.  As was said, I've had an older bike tuned and it ran like crap, farted and popped every time I backed off the throttle.  I've had the power lowered to get it to sound decent.
Any day on the bike is a good day.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 20 queries.