Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Thinking about a truck  (Read 5288 times)

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
Thinking about a truck
« on: May 25, 2010, 12:04:51 PM »

I currently have a 2001 Ford F-250 4x4 Crew cab (gas) and thinking about getting into something newer or new.  I hate the fact that I get 12mpg city/highway so I started to look at the F-150 Crew.  I don't pull anything big so I really don't need the 3/4 ton for anything other than I love the size of the cab.  In looking at the new F-150 crew I see that in 09 or 10 the made the cab another 6-8 inches longer. I really like this and like the MPG even better. They are saying it should be 18 mpg on the highway and could even get 20.

I have kicked around the Diesel idea but I don't pull anything nor do I do a lot highway traveling, so I am not sure if that is worth the extra $8 - $10,000. Although they are saying that the new 2011 motor will be much better on diesel compaired to the last one. :nixweiss:

I have checked out the Chevy's and GMC's and there cabs are too small and I can't fit into the back seat of the crew so I guess they are out.

I looked at the Toyota Tundra and have not been able to see the CREWMAX and try to sit in the back but I have seen the Double cab and know that it is too small.

I looked at the Nissan Titan but have not had the chance to sit in the back of the Crew cab and know that the  King cab is too small.

I have a buddy that bought the Doge Ram Sport in a Crew cab with the HEMI and I like it but the cab seems small too.
I like the 20 MPG for this and the fact that they have a 5 year 100,00 warranty. It seems better than most are offering.

I guess I am asking what you guys/gals are driving and if you like it? I have been leaning towards the Ford F-150 but I am not sure if I am liking the price. I was playing around and putting in the options and came out at $47,000. I know that it was loaded and darn near a Platinum edition.

Any input would be great.

Thanks,

Topper
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: Thinking about a truck
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 12:18:26 PM »

Hey Topper,

Here is $.02:  I have an '09 F-150 Limited with about 25k miles now and love it.  The 2010 is now called the Platinum.  Runs great and easily gets 18+ on the highway.  I have done a Gibson exhaust, Volant a/c and retune.  The Cab is the nicest I've seen among trucks.  Comfortable front and rear for five.  Very quiet and comfortable.  No problem towing and with the bed extender I have carried almost a cord of wood.  I still get compliments on it all the time. 

For 2010, Ford went to a bigger motor and six speed tranny.  Not sure I like the new styling as much as the 09 but they are great trucks. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 12:39:08 PM »

You seemed do be doing some good research. If you have not given them a chance you should test drive a Chevy Avalanche. It looks like a crew cab Silverado pickup but it is actually built on the Chevy Suburban frame so it rides very different from the Silverado. It has a plush feel to it. The cab hold 5 or 6 large adults easily.
As far as gas mileage many Avalanche owners get around 15mpg in town and  well over 20 mpg on the highway. It has a feature where it shuts down to 4 cylinders when cruising and back to 8 when needed. it is also flex fuel capable.
 The greatest feature on the Avalanche is it's versatility. The rear cab wall can be folded down easily with the rear seats and it allows 4X8 sheets of plywood to be hauled around under the three bed covers thereby staying dry and with it's locking tailgate, secure. So you have both cargo hauling and people hauling capabilities in a great riding vehicle.
I owned a 2004 Avalanche but now own a 2008. Love them both. So does the family.

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 01:19:43 PM »

GregKhougaz,

Thank you for your $.02 and the pic. I love that truck!  Boy it really makes me lean that way. I also agree that the style this truck has is all class.(not to knock anyone elses) $50,000 for the Platinum WOW! I have a buddy at for that I can get the X-Plan from.  It does save some money and helps towards buying new.
I did find that I can not get the Raptor, I was not looking at it for it is only and extended cab. As for the Harley edition I am not sure if the plan covers it but that is even more $$$$$$$$$$$$

Topper
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 01:29:15 PM by 49445CVO »

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 01:22:35 PM »

You seemed do be doing some good research. If you have not given them a chance you should test drive a Chevy Avalanche. It looks like a crew cab Silverado pickup but it is actually built on the Chevy Suburban frame so it rides very different from the Silverado. It has a plush feel to it. The cab hold 5 or 6 large adults easily.
As far as gas mileage many Avalanche owners get around 15mpg in town and  well over 20 mpg on the highway. It has a feature where it shuts down to 4 cylinders when cruising and back to 8 when needed. it is also flex fuel capable.
 The greatest feature on the Avalanche is it's versatility. The rear cab wall can be folded down easily with the rear seats and it allows 4X8 sheets of plywood to be hauled around under the three bed covers thereby staying dry and with it's locking tailgate, secure. So you have both cargo hauling and people hauling capabilities in a great riding vehicle.
I owned a 2004 Avalanche but now own a 2008. Love them both. So does the family.

I have looked into this too but was kinda worried for Consumers Reports said that there were some mechanical issues that were reported and they were costly.   :nixweiss:

Not saying I believe everything but I did forget about this truck and actually I never knew that they get such good gas milege. This is actually my wife's pick as of a month ago. :2vrolijk_21:

Topper

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 02:39:00 PM »

Topper,

I've had a F250 with the powerstroke for 260k miles so far.  Given what you've said about your intended use and seeing you're in Michigan, I would NOT recommend the diesel.  Do get me wrong, it's a great engine and does the job perfectly.  But since you're not really towing something large, nor doing extended highway driving, the gas engine will be much more friendly to drive day to day.  The ride will also be significantly better in a half ton/SUT type vehicle than any 3/4 ton.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 02:45:03 PM »

I have an '07 GMC Yukon XL (same as a Chevy Suburban).  57K miles and the only thing I have had to replace was tires.  Love my GMC's !!

Chris
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 03:49:23 PM »

Topper,

I've had a F250 with the powerstroke for 260k miles so far.  Given what you've said about your intended use and seeing you're in Michigan, I would NOT recommend the diesel.  Do get me wrong, it's a great engine and does the job perfectly.  But since you're not really towing something large, nor doing extended highway driving, the gas engine will be much more friendly to drive day to day.  The ride will also be significantly better in a half ton/SUT type vehicle than any 3/4 ton.

I hear ya and you sit a bit lower too.  I love my 250 4x4 but she is getting old and well I wouldn't mind something newer.

Thanks for the input on the diesel

Topper

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 03:50:22 PM »

I have an '07 GMC Yukon XL (same as a Chevy Suburban).  57K miles and the only thing I have had to replace was tires.  Love my GMC's !!

Chris

Yeah had to replace those too. D rated 10 ply $900.00 on the F-250 OUCH!

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 03:52:32 PM »

VaEagle,

Any problems with the weather stripping on that back door/window? any tranny problems?

I have a neighbor who has gone through 3 trannies.  Might be his year :nixweiss:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 04:49:50 PM »

Which truck has been the sales leader for the past 33 years and counting?  That's the one I recommend.

Jerry :2vrolijk_21:

btw, in the interest of fairness and full disclosure, I helped build F-series pick-em-ups in Norfolk Virginia from 1980 through 1992.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 05:00:36 PM »

the F-150 Harley Edition is acctually cheaper then the Platinum

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

rganz

• Senior CVO Member
  • Do Unto Others----First

• CVO1: 09 SERG
    • CVO2: Fat Boy
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2010, 05:04:00 PM »

I drive Chevy but really like the look of the Fords. Nicest interiors of the North Americans too.
Inlaws and a couple of friends have the Nissans and they are said to get the worst mileage of all , although they are powerhouses.

Rob
Rob

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2010, 05:27:47 PM »

the F-150 Harley Edition is acctually cheaper then the Platinum

Ford Starting MSRP is $42,885 = Platinum
                              $43,355 = Harley Davidson

:nixweiss:

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2010, 07:57:44 PM »

I have both Ford and Chevy and I will drive the Chevy over the Ford ,by the way the records we keep on our trucks the Ford cost more to operate [LOTS]  so I guess you know where I stand .... Go chevy or don't go....
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 24 queries.