Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Street Glide Purchase Advice Wanted  (Read 3742 times)

RPR50

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
Street Glide Purchase Advice Wanted
« on: May 30, 2010, 09:43:18 AM »

Own an '08 Springer. Looking for something more comfortable for long trips. Test drove a Spiced Rum SG and loved it. What a difference fairing, frame and suspension make.

Question.  Do I wait for 2011 or do I buy?  No one seems to know if HD will offer the SESG again. Also, given it's late in the model year, MSRP a given?  No movement on price so far.   Advice appreciated.

BTW, I'm going to have a hard time parting with my Springer. We'll see. May need to buy a smaller car to park both bikes in the garage. Never thought I'd have a collection, but this is habit forming.    
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 11:26:56 PM by RPR50 »

KODAGRIN

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 BLACK FLHTCU/110
    • CVO2: 2010 TS FLHXSE
    • Porkbelliesmc
Re: Strret Glide Purchase Advice Wanted
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 11:13:40 AM »

I WOULD WAIT--A 2010 BIKE WILL BE A YEAR OLD  WHEN THE 2011 BIKES ARE RELEASED.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 11:14:52 AM »

Wether you go with a 10 SESG or wait for the 11 models......you don't have to settle for the price of that dealership.  Many members of this forum have found their best deals from other members on this forum.

Tell us where you're located and what distance you're willing to travel and these guys will tell you where and how much they're going for in their area.  I traveled 200 miles and there were 7 or 8 dealerships closer......to get my best price. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

mrconrad

• CVO1: 2010 SE Street Glide (Spiced Rum)
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 12:10:23 PM »

I picked my 2010 SG CVO (Spiced Rum), paid MSRP $30,999 yesterday and it is fantastic... BUY it!  If you like the bike and especially the color pull the trigger.... HD won't repeat this color on another model.

I traded in a 2008 Road King and the difference is unbelievable... no comparrison, it turns 3000 rpm at 80 MPH and is very smooth ::)

Good Luck...

RPR50

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 03:27:24 PM »

Thanks guys. I'm Northeastern Ohio and the dealership is nearby. eBay listing for 2k less provides some market data. In the event, guess it turns on whether you want the bike or not and how much effort you want to put into a price shop.

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 04:33:21 PM »

Thanks guys. I'm Northeastern Ohio and the dealership is nearby. eBay listing for 2k less provides some market data. In the event, guess it turns on whether you want the bike or not and how much effort you want to put into a price shop.

The majority of us paid MSRP some higher and some lower but not significantly lower. Most dealers will offer you an in store credit. 1,000.00 in accessories is not unheard of rather than a price discount.

If you want the color and model there's no reason not to pull the trigger any bike you buy will be older we cannot stop time.

The frame changes in 09 significantly impacted the handling of the bike. While the 08's were somewhat improved the 09 and later are noticeably better.

Definitely go with a dealer who has the bike in stock you get it now and its in his interest to get it off the floorplan.

I went 127 miles to buy mine and the next stop that day was 200 miles away had I not purchased.

I have bought locally and at a distance and can attest IMO you do not get any better service by buying from the servicing dealer.
RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 04:38:15 PM »

It only provides market data if you're looking for a used SESG.  It seems that most dealers are asking at least MSRP (some rare ones are below), with some not charging shipping and setup.  Shop around, but remember, this is probably the last batch of CVOs you will see for the 2010 model year.  The next CVOs will be the 2011s and will make their debut around the very end of July, 1st part of August.  You can never second guess the MoCo, they broke the two-year model runs with the SEUC (5.5 consecutive models), the latest version of the SERG only ran for one year, and now the SESG took what should have the second model year of the SERG.  Now will they have a second model year of the SESG?  My personal opinion is yes, the Street Glide is HD's number one selling bike, so I think they will, and looking at how dealerships are selling the SESGs, I'd think it's a pretty good bet it will return for a second year at least.  But who knows.  You never know with the MoCo.  So you just need to make the choice, you can take the risk and wait and see of the SESGs come back for 2011 or buy one now and know that you got one.  What ever way you go, be content with your decision.  :)

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

mrconrad

• CVO1: 2010 SE Street Glide (Spiced Rum)
Re: Street Glide Purchase Advice Wanted
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 08:01:12 PM »

I like to shop locally... my dealer is 10 miles away, and 4 more are 15-40 miles away in Western Washington.  I know the owner of the store and want to support his business, and I also like the staff, very friendly and I get top notch service everytime.  Most dealers are getting their allotment reduced from the Motor Co as they cut back production to protect the brand and current owners.  HD products are not the same kind of commodity like the Jap bikes, they all build too many year after year and the resale price is destroyed quickly.

The SE CVO bikes are special and you won't get a smoking deal anywhere, they always go for MSRP +/- up to 5%.  I paid MSRP $30,999 + freight $380 = $31,379 plus T&L and feel like I got a good deal... if your willing to pay $30K+ for a motorcycle I wouldn't sweat a few bucks, ask for a $500-1000 in store credit for parts and clothes or to cover the first service check.

The main point to remember here is to be satisfied with the deal and than GO RIDE!

These bikes are special, like BMW M cars and MBZ AMG series... if you can't buck up to the price, than you're not ready to buy one!

I'd go for it and shop locally if you can, you will be much happier and so with the dealer ;D

RPR50

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 10:53:54 PM »

Agree with the posts. It's a real simple question. Do you want the bike or not?   It's not the dough as much as art of the deal.  Store credit already offered. One of the negatives is the loyalty factor  My home dealer doesn't have the bike. My home dealer is a great dealer with great service and I'm treated first class. They've offered to give me first pick 2011, but no guarantee SESG will be made.  Decision time.  Appreciate the thoughtful replies. 

Racerdj

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2015 FLHXSE

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHTKSE
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 09:03:52 AM »

What did it for me was the Tequila Sunrise paint knowing that it would not ever be done again. Probably the SG will continue but in what color combo? Keep the Springer if you can then you can ride whichever you want.
Harley addict here looking for 'The Cure'

Wheelsnkeels

• Freedom isnt free Thank a Vet!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Indiana Patriot Guard Riders

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Tequila Sunrise
    • CVO2: 2007 Heritage Custom (not CVO) too much chrome
    • CVO3: 2006 Heritage Classic (overinvested in mods ?)
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 08:27:15 PM »

Agree with the posts. It's a real simple question. Do you want the bike or not?  it's not the dough as much as art of the deal.  Store credit already offered. One of the negatives is the loyalty factor My home dealer doesn't have the bike. My home dealer is a great dealer with great service and I'm treated first class. They've offered to give me first pick 2011, but no guarantee SESG will be made.  Decision time.  Appreciate the thoughtful replies. 

I love to make a "Deal" and prefer to support a local business when I can. That said however, the thing to consider with the "I'll order you a 2011 offer" from the dealer is wait time.

Experience indicates I was riding mine off the floor while several members here were waiting for months already on their orders. They missed a season and thousands of miles of pleasured riding. Myself not large on patience once I've committed to a purchase like this?

You don't know where your local dealer is in the queue? I'll bet its a good guess the SESG will repeat in 2011 but my opinion and $1.00 will buy a large coffee @ McDonald's
RC Components Savage  200/55/17 Rear 140/70/21 front
Corbin Dual Tour (Heated)
Street Magic LED's
TTS Mastertune
Fueling 574 Cams & Lifters
SE Adjustable pushrods
Progressive Mono Tubes
Hog Tunes Hog Pods
J&M 7.25 Speakers w/250W Amp
Kuryakyn 9182 License plate frame
Vance & Hines Power Dual's
BUB Boom Cans slip on Exhaust 
Detach Tequila King Tour Pak
Rumble passenger Floorboards
Freedom Shield 7"
Riders Claw Iphone

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 12:16:25 PM »

I tried real hard to trade my 08 SERK last week, it has more mods than a sane person should have done in such a short time. The only negative the SESG has for me is the fact that my back just can't live with the 2" of rear wheel travel it offers. Why can't the MOCO put a suspension that is worthy of such beautifully bikes. It may not make sense to some of you guys and I'm sure I'm in the minority but I often wonder why we have to settle for such short comings. It's a real heart breaker for me because I think it's the nicest looking bike out there and I love all 3 colors. Right now I have my SERK with the AK-20's, 13" Bitubo's and I still have to take days off when my back acts up. I really don't know what to do at this point. I guess we can't have everything.

Enjoy your SESG, they are gorgeous!

Ray G,   

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 12:24:05 PM »

I tried real hard to trade my 08 SERK last week, it has more mods than a sane person should have done in such a short time. The only negative the SESG has for me is the fact that my back just can't live with the 2" of rear wheel travel it offers. Why can't the MOCO put a suspension that is worthy of such beautifully bikes. It may not make sense to some of you guys and I'm sure I'm in the minority but I often wonder why we have to settle for such short comings. It's a real heart breaker for me because I think it's the nicest looking bike out there and I love all 3 colors. Right now I have my SERK with the AK-20's, 13" Bitubo's and I still have to take days off when my back acts up. I really don't know what to do at this point. I guess we can't have everything.

Enjoy your SESG, they are gorgeous!

Ray G,   

Ray,
Actually, the new Hydraulic rear suspension that comes on the SESG is probably the best OEM suspension I've ever seen the Moco come out with.  I'm 300+lbs and I've yet to bottom out the suspension.  It gives a good taut, firm ride with plenty of good feedback.  This is actually the first suspension that I haven't been tempted to replace.  I never even knew that it only had 2" of travel, and I can't tell that it does.  I think you should see if you can test ride one.  You'll be pleasantly surprised.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

sugarbear20

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 12:02:11 PM »

You should be able to get msrp on a 2010 don't see that happening on a 2011 for a while after they come out :pepper:
I dont' think you heard what I thought I said
2010 SESG
candy concord
WOW
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 25 queries.