Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Instructions for the new GPS Interface Module  (Read 44395 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Instructions for the new GPS Interface Module
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2010, 11:14:35 AM »

I don't wish the difficulties you're having with this part on anyone but it is helping a guy here locally (whether he wanted the help or not).  Guy with an 05 Ultra was convinced he was going to buy an HK radio, the big harness, etc etc etc all so he could add the GPS interrupt and iPod control to his ride.  He would've spent a ton and I would've spent a Sunday putting it all in some winter day. 

I really didn't want to....

After being told of your difficulties he's now less enthused.  So via the law of unintended consequences you've saved a guy a lot of money and me a Sunday.

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2010, 11:28:05 AM »

I just talked to my Service Manager. He has one to install in the next couple days. Lets see how a Harley shop fairs.

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2010, 01:43:32 PM »

Here's a thought for one of y'all with it installed. Try turning on intercom and cb. Maybe it shares priority with one of them.

jhleighjr

• CVO1: 2008 Anniversary FLHTCUSE3 221/1800
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2010, 09:19:13 PM »

Went for a two hour ride today and guess what, the NIM actually worked. THREE times. out of about 80 turns. And then when it actually muted the radio music the damn thing wouldnt unmute it for 3 or 4 minutes. I think HD has just put out a piece of CRAP on this one guys.
I called Charlotte HD and talked to the service dept today and the service writer told me that they had installed several of them in the past few weeks with no problem whatsoever. But whemn i picked mine up at the parts dept yesterday, the parts worker told me that i was the first to buy one from them. I dont know what to think about that one.
I also called HD tech support today on the issue and asked if any type of software was needed to the HK radio for the unit to work and they told me that one was NOT needed.
The few times that mine did work today. the readout on the radio came up as "phone volume" Looks like the radio is detecting this module as the bluetooth module. Also, the MP3 player on the zumo was paused. but, when the module did decide to work and mute the radio mode that was playing at the time the MP3 music mysteriously started playing and continued to play for 3 or 4 minutes until the module decided that it was time to go back to the selected mode.

this thing has some serious problems. If they will take it back(which I highly doubt) they are getting this POS back. Looks like they put it out befpore it was properly tested and perfected.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2010, 09:30:54 PM »

this thing has some serious problems. If they will take it back(which I highly doubt) they are getting this POS back. Looks like they put it out befpore it was properly tested and perfected.

That sounds like the Harley we know and love.  It must be hard work to produce such consistent inconsistency.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2010, 10:29:08 PM »

Here's a thought for one of y'all with it installed. Try turning on intercom and cb. Maybe it shares priority with one of them.

I obviously have been reading this thread with great interest. More so, because I have the Bluetooth Module installed currently. One of my thoughts was about the CB & Intercom as well as volume control of any of the components. Is the volume on the Garmin turned up? Is the volume, while in AUX mode, turned up?

...The few times that mine did work today. the readout on the radio came up as "phone volume" Looks like the radio is detecting this module as the bluetooth module...

For what I have read so far, y'all are installing the bare wires into the overlay harness similar to the way the Bluetooth Module needs to be installed. That came with about 6 wires with "tips" that had to be plugged into the Molex connector that attaches to the overlay harness. It was very easy for me to put the wire in the wrong hole of that plug. Not sure if this is the case or not.

I'm not surprised that the HK unit is saying "phone volume" as to do otherwise would mean that the software would have already had to be programed with this feature built in. If that was the case, the MoCO would have released this product 3 years ago when the Bluetooth Module was first introduced.  In order to change that phrase, it would require a software upgrade that no one is currently aware of. Maybe it's something in the works?

wenchal

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLTRU
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC - SOLD
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2010, 11:04:21 PM »

Actually, that's a good point, maybe you do have to set the volume for the kit? 

jhleighjr

• CVO1: 2008 Anniversary FLHTCUSE3 221/1800
« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2010, 11:16:01 PM »

The volume was up all the way on both trhe radio and the GPS. I am convinced that its just junk. If anyone else has one that is oprating correctly. PLEASE let us know

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2010, 12:05:27 AM »

The volume was up all the way on both trhe radio and the GPS. I am convinced that its just junk. If anyone else has one that is oprating correctly. PLEASE let us know

I know on my Garmin 478, there is a separate volume control for the audio output. It is accessed through the menu buttons as opposed to doing it through the power button.  Someone has said that there was intermittent sound coing out so this may not be the case in all situations but might be worth a try. ???

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2010, 07:15:47 PM »

Well, I just got done installing the iPod interface and testing it.  I then went to install the Nav interface, and guess what....it says to use the exact same holes in the 35 pin connector that the iPod interface does.  Seems like the 2 may be mutually exclusive!

For those that have installed the Nav interface....did you loosen the red cap on the 35 pin connector to allow the new pins to seat correctly?

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2010, 08:57:12 PM »

From what I've read the ipod piggy back on the NIM;the NIM have a plug that connects to the Ipod harness. So if you get the NIM, you only use one or the other to interface  with the 35 pin harness
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 09:03:00 PM by Trey767 »

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Hogtunes Front/Rear speakers
Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Dakota digital dash gauges
Saddlebag extensions
Clearview windshield/vent
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2010, 08:59:29 PM »

Tried it, didn't work.

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2010, 09:02:28 PM »

okay I'm lost the ipod harness you just installed doesnt work also? :soapbox: you have the ipod for 400 bucks, not the NIM correct?

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Saddlebag extensions
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2010, 09:10:36 PM »

I have both.  Installed the iPod interface first,it works just fine.  Tried to install the NIM, only way I could see to do it was to plug the 6 way plug into the open 6 way jack on the iPod interface.  The light comes on, but there's no one home.

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2010, 09:15:29 PM »

What if you install the NIM first? would the Ipod harness connect to the remaining open plug?

Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Saddlebag extensions
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 24 queries.