Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 24

Author Topic: 30T and HAPPY!  (Read 103775 times)

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
Re: 30T and HAPPY!
« Reply #225 on: July 17, 2011, 08:48:34 PM »

Well, i'm 1700 miles into my Redlodge Montana Beartooth rally trip. You guys really need to check this rally out. We did a 140 mile poker run on Friday and a 180 mile poker run over the 1100' Beartooth pass on Saturday! 10 foot snow banks in the pass wearing a Long sleeve shirt! Awesome riding though historic towns with Grizzly bear warning signs. Anyway, point being, no belt issues here. Even did a few burn outs. Hit 111 GPS this morning having a showdown with a BMW. It's possible a few may have got defective belts? The majority are not having issues. I'm 3000 miles in on this one, done countless wheelies and burnouts. Still going strong.

Steve George
Fullsac Performance

Steve, glad you're having a good time out that way, we'll be there in about 2 weeks.
HAVE to go to Whistler and Victoria first, then off to MT on to SD and back to UT and WA again.......sheesh.
Trailer is towing just fine, checked that belt again yesterday after the long haul up North. No adjustments needed, but, I looked for cuts, holes, etc.
Guess I'm just lucky riding down some  of these gravel roads out here. Everything looks fine. Bike is running great, getting the same mileage as my buddy on his bone stock '09 96". He's solo, and I have the wife on the back.
Keep in touch, maybe our paths will cross this summer!
As usual, my disclaimer: JMHO :2vrolijk_21:
HOGMIKE

timtoolman

• never enough torque!!!!!!!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Hillside Stg 4 117, S&S 66 T.B. Woods 400-6, Rush 2-1 Wrath
« Reply #226 on: July 18, 2011, 07:24:39 AM »

I to am on my second belt with the 30 tooth pulley.  I still love it.  Carry a second spare belt?   :huepfenlol2: good one!!         nahhh Im going to chain drive over the winter with the stock IDS  system.  around 500.00..  love the lower gearing performance  to much to give it , up especially if i go from 107 to  117 or 120  :)

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #227 on: July 18, 2011, 09:06:37 AM »

So Tim, whats involved with the chain conversion. Is it a kit or pieces and parts? I guess I feel like you. at 112/110 now and thinking about more power I should at least consider it!

Mike

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #228 on: July 18, 2011, 09:17:06 AM »

So Tim, whats involved with the chain conversion. Is it a kit or pieces and parts? I guess I feel like you. at 112/110 now and thinking about more power I should at least consider it!

Mike

Mike

I'm running around 130 tq on my SERK with this conversion for better than 15000 miles. No issues with the belt yet. I wouldn't worry about it. If you should get a bad belt I'd just replace it and move on.

JW

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #229 on: July 18, 2011, 09:22:45 AM »

Mike

I'm running around 130 tq on my SERK with this conversion for better than 15000 miles. No issues with the belt yet. I wouldn't worry about it. If you should get a bad belt I'd just replace it and move on.

JW
Jw thanks!

timtoolman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #230 on: July 19, 2011, 11:00:31 PM »

Look up Dragos Bike Works.  Chain drive isolation kit for harley isolated drive systems for 09 .  590.00 for std kit

timtoolman

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #231 on: July 19, 2011, 11:07:57 PM »

picture of rear sprocket with IDS

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #232 on: July 20, 2011, 08:59:50 PM »

I like the way Tim and others are looking at possible solutions.  My belt failed with less than 3,000 easy miles, so I asked a friend who is a process engineer at a facility that manufactures various laminated products to check my drive belts.  His responsibility is developing various laminating methods & the testing of the finshed product to supply the customer with documentation that the product is within spec.  In other words, he knows his sh-t,  plus he is a fantastic and talented mechanic.  I won't go into details at the extent of his testing but it took him seconds to identify 'my' Falcon belt as having a poor bond.  He compared both belts under a low powered scope and found that my Falcon belt has numerous tiny air bubbles and spaces that lacked the material required for a proper bond, plus he mentioned that the center strip inbetween the inner and outer as being substancially courser than the OEM.  I could only supply 2 Gates (OEM) and the Falcon belt.  It's possible I  could have had one of a small batch of belts that slipped through quality control or it could be more serious than that.  I do know the back of the OEM belt with the grooves that the Falcon lacked had other uses making it more suitable for its intended purpose but he was starting to get real technical on me.  I have much more info on the test he performed but I was convinced that the OEM belt from a Sportster that Steve suggested was my solution for the 07's & 08's.  So I had enough info for my needs.  I installed the same belt that JW used, and I'm hoping for the same results.

Solutions may or may not be required, piece of mind tends to affect us in different ways.  I do know if replacing a belt on our bikes was not so labor intensive like some other models are, we would just get a spare belt and move on to fixing something else.  Due to it being very labor extensive, we tend to look for a better solution.  Owning a CVO Harley has programed us to make improvements where needed.  The use of a chain will certainly make installations much easier, however, I do remember the damage to my bikes when I had a chain break, so locating a belt that is up to the task is the way I would like to go if possible.  I would prefer to go the simple route and just install an oversize rear sprocket and belt.  I'm not aware of the availability of a wider rear sprocket but, I do know that Gates offers belts for our needs in wider sizes.  Clearance may be an issue, but I think it is worth looking at.  I think I'm OK with the belt but I have to say, it is another thing I tend to think about while being 2 to 3 hours away from home on a late Sunday evening especially when two up.  (Paranoid - no doubt)  (Solution - high probability) 

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #233 on: July 20, 2011, 09:29:12 PM »

Thanks Ray great work. I knew I wasnt losing my mind. Maybe we will figure out a fix that will work.

56FLE

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 - FLHTCUSE6 "Big Blue"
« Reply #234 on: July 21, 2011, 12:25:44 AM »

I have a 2011.5 with 12,000 miles on a Drag Specialties 139 tooth belt with no problems.

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #235 on: July 21, 2011, 10:57:37 AM »

I have a 2011.5 with 12,000 miles on a Drag Specialties 139 tooth belt with no problems.
The real question would be who manufactured the belt?

Mike

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #236 on: July 21, 2011, 12:03:18 PM »

The real question would be who manufactured the belt?

Mike

From their website:

Drag Specialties 1-1/8" Rear Drive Belt

* Carbon fiber reinforced
    * Goodyear engineered Falcon SPC belts offer up to 33 percent more tensile strength than conventional aramid reinforced belts
    * High temperature rubber compound offers excellent flex and long service life
    * Fabric reinforced belt tooth surfaces improve wear resistance
    * Durable material construction is designed to withstand belt- penetrating debris

8)
HOGMIKE

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #237 on: July 21, 2011, 12:15:15 PM »

From their website:

Drag Specialties 1-1/8" Rear Drive Belt

* Carbon fiber reinforced
    * Goodyear engineered Falcon SPC belts offer up to 33 percent more tensile strength than conventional aramid reinforced belts
    * High temperature rubber compound offers excellent flex and long service life
    * Fabric reinforced belt tooth surfaces improve wear resistance
    * Durable material construction is designed to withstand belt- penetrating debris

8)

Thanks Mike, that was the point I was trying to make. It appears that some folks here think that because they bought the belt from some XYZ store that its a different belt. But to my knowledge there is only one manufacture for this belt and its the one you listed! And its failure rate is unacceptable, but its the only one we have right now unless you want a chain.

Mike

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #238 on: July 21, 2011, 01:29:51 PM »

Thanks Mike, that was the point I was trying to make. It appears that some folks here think that because they bought the belt from some XYZ store that its a different belt. But to my knowledge there is only one manufacture for this belt and its the one you listed! And its failure rate is unacceptable, but its the only one we have right now unless you want a chain.

Mike

Not real sure about that, I know of quite a few people running that belt, and I'm on an extended trip on mine.
I have really "overloaded" my belt (along with the rest of the bike), and will see how things work out when I get back home in a month or so. I HAVE checked the belt once (at about 5000 miles) and it looks good.
We'll see how it lasts. :nixweiss:
 8)

HOGMIKE

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #239 on: July 21, 2011, 01:32:55 PM »

BTW:
My power is about 100/100 and I'm pulling a 400 lb trailer, 2-up on this trip.
 8)
HOGMIKE
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 24

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 25 queries.