Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: chrome side covers for my FXR3  (Read 6810 times)

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
chrome side covers for my FXR3
« on: September 15, 2010, 06:36:05 PM »

I am assuming chrome side covers/panels from a 1987 or later FXR-SP or other model FXR's would fit onto my FXR3.  Anyone have an OEM Part # for a set?  I realize the part is obsolete, but does anyone want to sell theirs?  Thanks.

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
Re: chrome side covers for my FXR3
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 10:27:20 AM »

I am assuming chrome side covers/panels from a 1987 or later FXR-SP or other model FXR's would fit onto my FXR3.  Anyone have an OEM Part # for a set?  I realize the part is obsolete, but does anyone want to sell theirs?  Thanks.

I see no reason why they wouldn't fit ..... if you can find them, Best of Luck to you in your search !!
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 02:25:02 PM »

Found the covers, one side from a dealership in Long Island, the other side from St Charles, MO.  However, the top of the brake reservoir for the master cylinder impedes the left side cover from fitting properly at the lower end, and it is welded to the frame, so I am at an impasse.  Have had a lot going on so, I didn't have too much time to fully look at the situation, but if this is the case, then I'm guessing that no other OEM covers would fit the FXR3?  Seems wrong. 

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 12:40:02 AM »

And yes I am wrong again. The side cover fits behind the reservoir.  :oops: :nixweiss: :-X

takanohana

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 09:52:33 AM »

And yes I am wrong again. The side cover fits behind the reservoir.  :oops: :nixweiss: :-X

Sir, could you show a few pics of your new covers on your bike when time allows. Thank You...Taka

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 10:26:13 PM »

I will when I put them on.  My bike is currently getting an 80" hop up,  and it will be down for a few weeks or so. 

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 08:47:49 AM »

I will when I put them on.  My bike is currently getting an 80" hop up,  and it will be down for a few weeks or so. 

inquisitive minds would like to know ....... what eggzactly is going into the 80" Hop Up    ????

:orange:
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 04:01:07 PM »

Mikey-
The 80" hop up will include: porting stock heads (intake to 1.9 but keep exhaust size) and manifold, Wiseco Pistons with bored/honed stock cylinders, increased compression to @ 10:1,  leaning towards an S&S carb but might rejet the stock CV, K&N air cleaner, Dyna ignition, Supertrapp 2 into 1 exhaust, either a Powerhouse Viper or GT 530G cam, or V-Thunder 3020 or 5010/15 (deciding soon), S&S pushrods, performance springs, Dyna ignition w/inc. rev. limit based on cam selection to no higher than 6,500 rpm., gaskets, cam bearing, etc.
Had debated awhile on this set up vs. building a 96" big bore/stroker out of the evo, but it would make more $en$e to go with an Ultima el Bruto 107" or bigger, if I decided to go bigger, rather than risk compromising the integrity of the evo. Also, since the evo just only turned 5,000 miles, there is a lifetime ahead of it, and I might as well get my money's worth out of it.
Engine build will be done by Mike Magaro in Harrisburg, PA., and Headwork/manifold will be done by Jim Libonati of MegaFlo in Portersville, PA.  Both have tons of experience with great reputations and come highly recommended in this neck of the woods. Will be down for several weeks but should be a nice "sleeper" when completed.

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 11:28:26 AM »

James~

Have you even studied what final gearing you have in that bike?  (all cvo FXR'S have 2.925 final gearing) This means in 5th gear an OEM bike wouldn't be able to turn more than 4500 RPMS which would be 115 mph. In 4th gear an OEM bike would be turning 5500 RPMS @ 115 mph.

The single most important cam timing event is the intake close angle as this plays a major factor when the cam gives you that feeling of creating power, a V-thunder 5015 won't do this until aprx what 4300 RPMS with a 52 intake close angle. There is a guy over at HTT that put a V-Thunder 5015 in a 1993 FXR and pulled it out.  I am not sure what you are exactly after with your build but if the 5000 series with your
cams are what you are after it
might feel better with something  not over a 5010 for sure, that
cam has a intake close angle of 48 which would bring the cam alive around the 3800 RPM range.  The EVL-3020 would be a nice selection with an intake close angle of 42 with the cam comming "alive" @ around 3500 RPMS.  The 5005 however would provide another .069" of lift over the 3020.  You are obviously going for HP.  Looks like the V-Thunder 5005 might work with everything well, it would bring the RPMS "perhaps" more in range.

I think if I were you I would take a "closer" look at my gearing for this particular bike and see how my "new" parts are prepared to work together.

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 01:13:50 PM by FXR2evo99 »

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 02:42:52 PM »

Tim-
Thanks for the input.  I'm confused now. I was under the impression that the fifth gear ratio on the FXR3 was 3.15.  And after just now checking the FXR3 owner's manual (pg. 100), it says that the fifth gear ratio is  3.15.  Is this a mistake? If it is correct, then what cam would you recommend? Thanks.

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 05:11:04 PM »

James~

Yeah it can be quite confusing for sure.
Bu
Check a parts manual for the exact parts you have.  You will discover your final gearing is 2.925 because of the size of the rear belt (133 Tooth) and the tooth size of the rear sprocket (65 Tooth) when in combination with the sizes of the transmission sprocket (32 Tooth), compensating sprocket (25 Tooth), and the clutch shell sprocket & ring gear (36 Tooth).  If you take these numbers and plug them into a RPM Calculator you will discover the final gearing ratio to be 2.925

All later softails came with 2.925 with the evo engine and they carried it over to our CVO FXR'S.  All 1989-1993 FXR'S came with 3.37 final gearing.

The Owners Manual is wrong.  My FXR2 Owners Manual says 3.15 and it's wrong too.

The sales brochures for the FXR2 and FXR3 also describe the final gearing as 2.925.

EDIT 10-29-10:

I knew I would find the "gear" data in the 1999 FXR2/FXR3 HD Service Manual some where and so look on page 6-1 Drive Specifications ie: Table 6-1. Gear Ratios:
1st    9.39
2nd   6.46
3rd    4.60
4th    3.59
5th    2.92

If one were to carry the numbers out to 3 decmils hence forth you would have 2.925 for the final gearing ratio.

However if you read closely on that very same page the Service Manual also presents the list of "sprockets" and
states that the rear wheel "sprocket" is a 70 Tooth but once again this wrong because the rear wheel "sprocket" is actually a 65 Tooth sprocket which allows for the final gear ratio of 2.925, if the rear wheel sprocket was indeed a 70 Tooth sprocket then the final gear ratio would be 3.15.

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 02:56:21 AM by FXR2evo99 »

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 06:05:13 PM »

Tim,
This is exactly why I haven't chosen a cam yet.  I actually want more of a "torque" bike. Something that provides improved power in the 2000 to 5000 rpm range.  Is that too broad of a range? If it is, then we could raise the lower end a couple hundred and likewise, lower the top end.  Without question you obviously know more about this S#*t than I do, but I am trying to learn.  After checking the specs for the V-thunder cams, it seems though that your numbers and theirs differ regarding intake closing angle. For the EVL-5015 you have the angle at 52 while I'm reading 46 from their website.  Similarly, for the EVL-5010 you have it at 48 while their website has it at 42.  The way I'm reading it, your numbers correspond with the opening of the exhaust valve.  
Their website though is vague in their recommendations/descriptions of their cams. Although it says that the EVl-5005 cam with a power band from, "1500-5500 rpm provides strong low end and mid range power for heavy bikes" (touring bikes I'm assuming), would this cam then provide even stronger torque for the FXR3 in said range?
Similarly,  they say that the EVL-5010 (1800-5800 rpm) and the EVL-3020 (1800-6000 rpm), "provides strong mid and upper end power for for lighter bikes" (FXR?).  So then, these two cams would be more suited for hp than tq?  
The bolt in EVL-3010 cam (1500-5800 rpm) may be the way to go for me as they describe it as "good low end torque and mid range in heavy and light bikes."
I'm also reading that the FXR3 owner's manual has 3.15 final gearing vs. your statement of 2.925.  If what I'm reading is correct, then does that mean mph would increase at lower rpms?  
Anyway, the important thing here is for me to understand the importance of the intake closing angle in relation to torque and hp.  So, my question is, with All things equal, the lower the number for the intake closing angle, then the more "torqueish" the motor?  Also, combined with a lower final  gear ratio, then the it would be more "torquey"?
Finally, could you please elaborate on the importance of the intake closing angle? Thanks.

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 06:07:55 PM »

Tim-
My last post posted before I read your last post, so disregard my statement regarding the manual's stated final gear ratio. But feel free to answer the rest of my q's.  :2vrolijk_21:

JamesButler

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 06:14:45 PM »

I also remember reading your 2008 post @ two months ago on final gearing, and recall I was confused at the time because the owner's manual does contradict itself.

zn14

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 06:24:28 PM »

my owners manual says 3.15 BUT the 1 page sales brochure that has all the upgrades and specs says 2.925
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 20 queries.