Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Boom Audio  (Read 5983 times)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Boom Audio
« on: October 03, 2010, 06:07:51 PM »

I do not understand exactly what the H-D Boom Audio system is or does.  I know it comes standard on the SE CVO Road Glide Ultra.  What is the difference between this and the 'regular' system on the SE CVO Ultras which come with the aux amp standard.  Would appreciate an explaination.  TIA 

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Boom Audio
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 01:45:28 PM »

The amp on the CVO Road Glide, and the one included in the new Boom kit, is a revised/different version of the amp on previous CVO Ultras.  You can verify by comparing the amp part nos. in the kit and on the CVO RG:  same basic part number but with a -06B suffix rather than the -06A on previous CVO Ultras.

Carl

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 05:37:43 PM »

The amp on the CVO Road Glide, and the one included in the new Boom kit, is a revised/different version of the amp on previous CVO Ultras.  You can verify by comparing the amp part nos. in the kit and on the CVO RG:  same basic part number but with a -06B suffix rather than the -06A on previous CVO Ultras.

Carl
Thanks Carl.  So I guess this is a 'new and improved' version.  Speakers are different also from what I can see.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 05:50:53 PM »

The amps are the same, with the exception that, the B version has the JXXX connector so it can be reprogrammed. As such, out of the box, they should sound and perform exactly the same as the A version.

Read this thread for an indepth discussion on this all:  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=52793.0
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 08:04:23 PM »

Being able to re-program the equalizer of the B version amp appears to be relevant only if you install the Tour Pak Bass Boost Port accessory.

Personally, I'm skeptical of how well the bass boost will work going down the road at any speed let alone interstate speed with or without a passenger.  Hopefully those who have installed the accessroy will chime in with their experience.

And, yes, the speakers available in the Boom series are different than the OEM speakers, but most of the attention seems to go to the amplifier.  A bizarre (to me at least) fitment issue is HD's description of the Bass Booster Port Kit that excludes bike's with the A version amp, even though the Port Kit doesn't involve any wiring to the amp or head unit--go figure:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448775823&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302290635&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302290635&bmUID=1286409734960&bmLocale=en_US 

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 08:21:51 PM »

I had the dealer add it to mine when I was in for the 1000 mile service. Listened to it on another bike first with a similar ( same ? ) stereo system. I think it is a noticeable improvement. 2011Road Glide Ultra.

Harley09

• at bike nite
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 09:44:38 PM »

Hello all
well today i installed the new speakers and wow what  a big diff they sound great
i removed my hogtunes from the fairing and tour pack but i am still looking for a way to mount the speakers in the lower fairing where my hogtunes were i also put the ports in the tour pack
BUT i still need some type of way to remove the hog tunes from the lowers and put the new booms in the lowers but i have to come up with some way to mount them
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 10:06:15 PM by Harley09 »

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 09:53:22 PM »

Hello all
well today i installed the new speakers and wow whay a big diff they sound great
i removed my hogtunes from the fairing and tour pack but i am still looking for a way to mount the speakers in the lower fairing where my hogtunes were

Okay, this conversation went from amplifier types and bass boost port all the way to new speakers. I am getting a little confused.

RobMay had the Bass Boost Port installed - it made a noticeable improvement (without new/additional speakers?)
Harley09 had new speakers installed - it made a BIG difference. Any Bass Boost? What kind of speakers?

Thanks
Simon

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 10:02:10 PM »

Okay, this conversation went from amplifier types and bass boost port all the way to new speakers. I am getting a little confused.

RobMay had the Bass Boost Port installed - it made a noticeable improvement (without new/additional speakers?)
Harley09 had new speakers installed - it made a BIG difference. Any Bass Boost? What kind of speakers?

Thanks
Simon

I just installed the $59.99 kit that was linked to right above my pos by Harleypingman. No other changes.

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 10:06:01 PM »

I just installed the $59.99 kit that was linked to right above my pos by Harleypingman. No other changes.

How many hours did the stealer charge for the install?

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 10:07:29 PM »

How many hours did the stealer charge for the install?

2.5  ???

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 10:13:53 PM »

2.5  ???
Yeah.. so that takes a nice $59 port kit and expands it into a typical HD service ticket.
I figured it would be around this much. Now.. it is worth $300 to me  :-\
Amazing how you can still find things to put on a CVO.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 10:15:31 PM by DesertHOG »

Ultra2010

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 01:28:16 AM »

Hello all
well today i installed the new speakers and wow whay a big diff they sound great
i removed my hogtunes from the fairing and tour pack but i am still looking for a way to mount the speakers in the lower fairing where my hogtunes were

The Boom speakers are better than the Hogtunes?  I looked at the Booms today and was wondering how they sounded with just the stock CVO set up. I would, but would rather not drop 200+ for the J%Ms (fairing only). 

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 09:18:48 AM »

Yeah.. so that takes a nice $59 port kit and expands it into a typical HD service ticket.
I figured it would be around this much. Now.. it is worth $300 to me  :-\
Amazing how you can still find things to put on a CVO.

One thing to keep in mind. The rears have a nice bass tone to them now IF the tour pak is empty enough that nothing (like a jacket, etc) is leaning up against the ports. Also, the front still have a dull thud to them on certain "Bassie" songs. Could be partially my ipod sound setup in the unit itself. I would say get it and install it yourself and it's a no brainer. I am impatient and had a 100+ mile trip back to the house so I just had them do it so I could enjoy it on the way home. Plus if it leaks or something else with it goes wrong, it's on them and not me. Although for $212 labor I could replace the whole thing 3.5 times, but I'm lazy like that (must be why I can't seem to save any money....)  :P

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 10:00:09 AM »

One thing to keep in mind. The rears have a nice bass tone to them now IF the tour pak is empty enough that nothing (like a jacket, etc) is leaning up against the ports. Also, the front still have a dull thud to them on certain "Bassie" songs. Could be partially my ipod sound setup in the unit itself. I would say get it and install it yourself and it's a no brainer. I am impatient and had a 100+ mile trip back to the house so I just had them do it so I could enjoy it on the way home. Plus if it leaks or something else with it goes wrong, it's on them and not me. Although for $212 labor I could replace the whole thing 3.5 times, but I'm lazy like that (must be why I can't seem to save any money....)  :P

So in other words, if I have my pak jammed with stuff, like I usually do, the improvement is not that great. Correct? Or does it just require some free airflow to make an improvement? Thoughs?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 20 queries.