Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: HD garage door opener?  (Read 5033 times)

mn.cvo

HD garage door opener?
« on: October 26, 2010, 05:58:38 PM »

I just finished installing  the smart siren 11 with pager on my 2011 Convertible.  I have the garage door opener that works off the high/low beam switch.  Has anyone put this on their cvo softail yet?  Looking for a few tips, such as, does the tank need to come off or just be loose.  I already picked up the required harness connector that is needed for the 2011 model.  I am wondering if I will still need to do some splicing though. 

Rick

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
Re: HD garage door opener?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 06:19:47 PM »

Looking for a few tips, such as, does the tank need to come off or just be loose. 
Rick

Rick, if the tank needs to come off, you have the info in a post just below this one, fresh today! 

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 06:19:03 AM »

Rick,

if it is the Harley Davidson unit don't even open the package and return it and the harness. The Harley unit is way overcomplicated. I installed a Flash2Pass unit on my FLSTSE and it did not require removing the tank or cutting any wires. Search for a post by me on the subject For the details but overall it took about 30 minutes from start to finish and works great.

MikeV
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 08:16:51 AM »

Sighn me up for something that is easy and straightforward.  I'll look for it as well.

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 09:20:51 AM »

Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 09:51:45 AM »

CVOpilot

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 03:22:38 AM »

My write-up on this is here...  I am very satisfied with it!!

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=44607.new

brr5

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 flstse2
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 10:16:33 AM »

I installed the  flash2pass opener this weekend and ended up leaving it unhooked for now. I have a 2011 FLSTSE2 and it works fine as long as the headlight isn't attached it let's me push it so it goes on-off-on.. As soon as the bulb is attached it won't let me click the high beam twice. It just stays on. Any thoughts on how to solve the issue?
Thanks,
Bob

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 05:04:29 PM »

How about using the 'extra' aux switch for the opener?
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

brr5

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 09:47:37 PM »

I'm not sure what aux switch you are referring to?
But still I am wondering why it works fine until I plug the lamp into the socket without the lamp. Clicking the Hi beam switch without the lamp 3 times fast works fine. Plug in the headlight - it won't
If I use two hands and switch the Hi on, use other hand to turn it on to Lo, then back again to Hi it works. I just can't have it on Lo then using one hand turn the HI on-off-on just pressing the Hi beam fast. Once I turn the headlight switch to Hi it stays there unless I turn the  Lo switch on or turn the bike off.  :nixweiss:

mn.cvo

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 07:41:59 AM »

When I had the headlight apart on my 2011 cvo softail, I noticed an extra wire connection in  the headlight housing. I think this may be for connecting the two aux headlights that you see on bikes like the heritage softail.  Maybe it is possible to hook the garage door opener wires up to this unused connector??  Just a guess.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 11:48:12 AM »

How about using the 'extra' aux switch for the opener?
The one on the lower dash by the speaker switch and spot light switch.

brr5

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 03:11:32 PM »

We are talking about a 2011 flstse2?

I am at work but I don't believe I have a spot light switch much less an aux switch.
Bob

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 04:35:53 PM »

OOps...sorry...not on a EG

CVOpilot

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 02:38:01 AM »

I see some people are having problems connecting the Fash2Pass transmitter to the 2011 FLSTSE...  I wish I had a fix (I do not as of yet!?) but I bet I know what the problem is...  
  The 2011 FLSTSE not only switched/added wiring and controls for some functions (trip display, cruise control) but HD added a whole new control system on this model. The first of its kind on a Harley. It is based on CAN bus technology from the auto manufacturers and is called HDLAN...and the short of it is a monitor and control system that intergrates many common systems into one module rather than having separate modules (like the turn signal control module). We are now riding (mostly) computer controlled systems!!
  The advantage of the new technology is it requires less wiring in the harness, smaller gauge wires, has monitoring capability of the different systems, combines separate modules into a main unit, enhances the "trouble code set" for more codes, and is much less prone to failure than what we poor 2010 riders have.  I would hazard a guess that since the voltages sent to the headlight for high beam/low beam operation are based on feedback through the system that the additional draw of the transmitter is sending false feedback to the command and control module (or whatever they are calling it)!!??
  Before everyone looks and says...damn, he seems to know sumpthin!!  Grab the latest issue of American Iron magazine (Dec 2010) and read it there....  thats where I got my info...but I DID stay in a Holiday Inn Express while reading it.... :-\
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 08:37:56 AM by CVOpilot »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 24 queries.