Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Used sports car for under $30K? Corvette?  (Read 7847 times)

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
Re: Used sports car for under $30K? Corvette?
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2011, 08:37:23 PM »

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=283386972&dealer_id=65502713&car_year=1993&doors=&systime=&listingCounter=0&adModel=NSX&search_lang=en&start_year=1981&highlightFirstMakeModel=&rdm=1297783164181&drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=&keywords_display=&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&spotlightCounter=0&make2=&certified=&engine=&adBodyStyle=COUPE,TRADERNA&transmission=&useBIRF=true&sort_type=priceDESC&adClassSeries=&max_price=&make=ACURA&useImpressions=true&model=NSX&useJSON=true&body_style=COUPE&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&search_type=both&distance=0&min_price=&fuel=&listingPriority=30&flip=a&end_year=2012&showZipError=n&page_location=findacar::ispsearchform&body_code=2&default_sort=newsortbyprice_DESC&max_mileage=&color=&address=14241&adMake=ACURA&videoSpotlightType=a&awsp=false&num_records=25&seller_type=b&cardist=987

OH, the NSX... hadn't thought of that. Another car I've eyeballed before, but never seriously considered. While they're made very well, I'd be concerned about reliability on a 17 year old car... and I can't imagine maintenance is cheap on that sucker.

I looked at the Caddy already... Seemed like a good idea in theory, but as big as that sucker is, performance and handling suck.

The Lotus is cool... but A) At 6'3" & 225, I'm guessing I;d need a shoe horn to get in & out of that lil' thing and B) they are built for performance and speed... not comfort... my wife lives 400 miles away, and I like to drive, so I've gotta find something that balances the two.

THe BMW & Mercedes are great options... I never really looked into all the things that fall in this price range. Definitely need to get some stick time in on a few models and see what rises to the top.

Great suggestions, thanks!!!  :2vrolijk_21:

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2011, 08:38:12 PM »

Go with the Vette.  Cheaper to buy and cheaper to maintain.  Plus its an American made legend.  Performance beyond any other car in the same price range.
Made in the USA.

All great points!!! Definitely puts it pretty damn close to the top of the list!

rydwHim

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFSE Slate
    • CVO2: 2008 XL1200C Black/Orange (wife's)
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2011, 08:57:35 PM »

A business partner of mine recently bought a 2003 50th anniversary Vette with 25,000 miles for $26,000.  No road salt, no damage history, miles were authentic and was garaged.  He bought it right, no doubt.  He didn't spend a lot of time looking either, just kind of stumbled across it on an online auction, thought it was a bargain, watched it for a while, placed one bid before the close and voila...he owned it.

There are still some good values out there.  Good luck in your search!
"Always be prepared for the unexpected"
"Surprised Eddie? If I woke up tomorrow with my head sewn to the carpet I wouldn't be more surprised than I am right now"  Clark W. Griswold

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2011, 11:54:42 PM »

OH, the NSX... hadn't thought of that. Another car I've eyeballed before, but never seriously considered. While they're made very well, I'd be concerned about reliability on a 17 year old car... and I can't imagine maintenance is cheap on that sucker.

I looked at the Caddy already... Seemed like a good idea in theory, but as big as that sucker is, performance and handling suck.

The Lotus is cool... but A) At 6'3" & 225, I'm guessing I;d need a shoe horn to get in & out of that lil' thing and B) they are built for performance and speed... not comfort... my wife lives 400 miles away, and I like to drive, so I've gotta find something that balances the two.

THe BMW & Mercedes are great options... I never really looked into all the things that fall in this price range. Definitely need to get some stick time in on a few models and see what rises to the top.

Great suggestions, thanks!!!  :2vrolijk_21:

The NSX isnt a fast car.. it handles extremely well, but eats tires like you wouldnt believe. At 8K my friend sold it, after he replaced all 4 tires. Apparently the alignment is so agressive to make it handle, tire life is severely compromised.

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2011, 12:00:43 AM »

The NSX isnt a fast car.. it handles extremely well, but eats tires like you wouldnt believe. At 8K my friend sold it, after he replaced all 4 tires. Apparently the alignment is so agressive to make it handle, tire life is severely compromised.

Will have to read up on that... the couple sites I read today both said it was amongst the best al-around sports cars out there, and are decent daily drivers.

I'm in info overload... lol

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2011, 12:19:07 AM »

my daughter thinks I ought to get this Z06: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/110647018200

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2011, 12:23:58 AM »

Will have to read up on that... the couple sites I read today both said it was amongst the best al-around sports cars out there, and are decent daily drivers.

I'm in info overload... lol

Lets back up a bit... you've got everyone's opinion of the "hot car" for mid-life crisis... What is your hot car... dream car, unicorn, or whatever was elusive to you (dont count that cute brunette) That you always said you wanted?

my daughter thinks I ought to get this Z06: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/110647018200

I was never a fan of "black denim", "satin black" or whatever you call it... the leather is shinier than the paint.

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2011, 06:43:53 AM »

if you consider a Mercedes try to get the CLK 6.3 AMG convertible last (not actual) model (209).

This car is really comfortable even on very long legs and will give any 911 a hard bite  ;)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2011, 07:38:11 AM »

Lets back up a bit... you've got everyone's opinion of the "hot car" for mid-life crisis... What is your hot car... dream car, unicorn, or whatever was elusive to you (dont count that cute brunette) That you always said you wanted?

Of course the vette is something that has always made me drool, so that is definitely up there at the top of the list. The NSX is always a head turner as well. And I did make a couple trips around the Z4 when I saw it at an auto show one year. So those three are cars I've admired. But I've never driven any of them, which will obviously make all the difference in the world.

Like my CVO, I want something unique and fun to drive. The feedback on here has been great and gave me a lot to think about; I appreciate all of oyu taking the time to reply!

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2011, 11:16:47 AM »

The NSX has an EXTREMELY light flywheel.  So it rev's like nobody's business, but you also HAVE to rev it to make it go.  Seats very low, lower than the Vette, so I felt like I always had to sit up to be able to see.  Even though, I'm not a Chevy fan, I'd take the Vette out of everything listed so far.  The new body style has finally gotten the car back to where it should have been all along, IMO.  It will cost you much less to own than anything else, too.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2011, 01:48:29 PM »

Lets back up a bit... you've got everyone's opinion of the "hot car" What is your hot car... dream car, That you always said you want

My dream car would be a mint condition 67 Shelby 350 Cobra Mustang. The Mitsu Spyder I mentioned in an earlier post came about in a roundabout way. My wife and I had been looking at buying her a Mustang convertible back in 03. As we checked out the various models of Mustangs, the thing that stood out was that there wasn't a whole lot of difference in the interior of a $14k Mustang Pony and a $34K fully loaded GT. As we left the Ford dealership my wife noticed a line of 03 Spyders at the local Mitsu dealership. We stopped and made an excellent deal on one. We drove the vehicle for 82,000 miles without spending any money on it beyond routine maintenance and then traded it in on this 08. My wife since decided she had issues with blind spots while driving the vehicle with the top up and my pickup became hers and the Spyder mine. Having driven this car across the USA and back once and taken it on pleaure drives since, I have to say that it is dollar for dollar a super car. Looks wise it easily compares with a 370Z and similar other makes. Price wise, there's no comparison. And that is what makes it for me. I get all the looks, the fun and the driveability of vehicles costing two and three times as much. So sometimes you wake up from a dream and find that something a little less can be just as good.

B B

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2011, 09:28:56 PM »

My dream car would be a mint condition 67 Shelby 350 Cobra Mustang. The Mitsu Spyder I mentioned in an earlier post came about in a roundabout way. My wife and I had been looking at buying her a Mustang convertible back in 03. As we checked out the various models of Mustangs, the thing that stood out was that there wasn't a whole lot of difference in the interior of a $14k Mustang Pony and a $34K fully loaded GT. As we left the Ford dealership my wife noticed a line of 03 Spyders at the local Mitsu dealership. We stopped and made an excellent deal on one. We drove the vehicle for 82,000 miles without spending any money on it beyond routine maintenance and then traded it in on this 08. My wife since decided she had issues with blind spots while driving the vehicle with the top up and my pickup became hers and the Spyder mine. Having driven this car across the USA and back once and taken it on pleaure drives since, I have to say that it is dollar for dollar a super car. Looks wise it easily compares with a 370Z and similar other makes. Price wise, there's no comparison. And that is what makes it for me. I get all the looks, the fun and the driveability of vehicles costing two and three times as much. So sometimes you wake up from a dream and find that something a little less can be just as good.

B B

I yearn to have my 69 RS-Z28 back... made a fortune on it then, but wish I still had it now.

Low mile, original car.. time capsule was a bette choice of words. I drove it 3 times while I owned it, but was so afraid something would happen to it at the careless hands of others I finally relented and solt it to a friend of a friend and have never seen it since.

I have a soft spot for a 69 Chevelle SS... 325 horse, full option car, including the stupid rare rear defroster, fiber-optic light indicators, and AC...

n7543g

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2011, 10:41:45 PM »

My wife and I have been driving this vette for 39 years, and we are still married. I call it a 69 chevy.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2011, 10:47:21 PM »

My wife and I have been driving this vette for 39 years, and we are still married. I call it a 69 chevy.

Very nice!   :2vrolijk_21:   I had a 68 many years ago...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
    • HI

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2011, 10:54:04 PM »

Very nice!   :2vrolijk_21:   I had a 68 many years ago...

68 had the cool door release buttons...  :2vrolijk_21:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 20 queries.