Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Author Topic: HELP! Goldwing Bragging over Harley, Any more AMMO to shut them up?  (Read 25021 times)

Half_Crazy

That no soul, no personality plastic civic in drag may be the yardstick you measure by but don't think you speak for everyone.
You certainly don't speak for me and most likely don't speak for the bulk of the members of this forum.
I hope you don't have a problem with that, and if your unhappy here or want to know more about your yardstick please check out this site  http://www.gwrra.org
They are always looking for new wing dingers!

Half Crazy, are you sure you don't work for a Honda dealer?

I don't understand why members of this forum should have any trouble discussing this without getting their feelings hurt. I don't own a Goldwing either, but I know it's one hell of a motorcycle. It doesn't take anything away from Harley for Honda to make a good bike.

But we like it better. That's the only reason that matters. Justifying that to some other clown sounds a little insecure. "Soul" or other such yutzi reasonings are all just proof that advertising works

You must admit that different engines have a different 'character'. I prefer twins and triples myself. You can never inject that 'character' into a flat 6 cylinder. To me, what defines the motorcycle is the motor.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

You must admit that different engines have a different 'character'.

Absolutely.  Different engines have entirely different characteristics.  Some of those attributes we like much more than others; even if we don't always know why.  They can just feel or sound in some way right or good.

I remember reading an article in some bike rag several years ago making the case that the cadence of a Harley engine somehow was in rhythm with the human heartbeat (or some other bodily function) and as a result we automatically found ourselves in tune with the staccato beat that goes "potato potato potato."  Have now idea if that's bubkus or not.  I do now, however, that the a well running Harley engine is an engine that I like the sound and feel of.  Just like I like the slightly lopey slow idle of a well tuned big block Chevy or a few others that could be listed.  But "why" I like them?  That's like putting a lot of wasted intellectual effort in to considering why I like beer or girls.  Some things are just good :2vrolijk_21: !
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 10:50:41 AM by Twolanerider »

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI

considering why I like girls. 

I did not know that..................

LOL
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

I did not know that..................

LOL

And beer.  You forgot beer.

rheston

• Charlton
  • Charlton

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2

Hey Mate, I purchased my first Harley while assigned to an office in Fyshwick, ACT, just outside Canberra. The company I was assigned to was next to Robbo's H-D before Harley decided to "organize" the business there.  Everyone had an H-D and I got to live my life long dream by purchasing my first ever Harley there and bringing it back to the US with me.  I rode in a mixed group of bikes with some GW's (we kept them in the back of the pack) and when we would ride through any town people would come out of their homes to wave at us and give us the thumbs up. Elderly groups in busses would watch us drive by and they would all smile and wave.  However, when the tail end charlies in our group arrived in view they all got the single digit salute. On one occasion two kids, one in diapers, came racing out of their house to watch us drive through and when they saw the Honda's in tow in unison they slammed their right hand to the left fore-arm in a truly negative salute.  Now where in the world can anyone not think that a Harley isn't the icon people think of when you say "motocycle"!? Particularly in Australia!

In Australia everyone has a rebel attitude deep down and those that feel the sound, like hearing a good bagpiper, it will chill them to the bone with excitement.  The Harley has always been viewed as a "rebel" ride and to this day no one tries to change that image.  You can't get anyone to say that owning a GW has the same affect on the people around them as much as it affects the person riding a Harley has.

Put on your Southern Cross shirt and hop on your ride and let them be envious!
summa vi vehere, celeritate vehere, procul vehere
2008 FLHX
2005 FLSTC
1999 FLHRC-I

Half_Crazy

when we would ride through any town people would come out of their homes to wave at us and give us the thumbs up. Elderly groups in busses would watch us drive by and they would all smile and wave.  However, when the tail end charlies in our group arrived in view they all got the single digit salute. Now where in the world can anyone not think that a Harley isn't the icon people think of when you say "motocycle"!? Particularly in Australia!

Sorry, Mate, but I don't spend my money with an eye toward what other people will think of me, especially people who don't actually ride motorcycles or know anything about motorcycles (or little kids in diapers). Some people seem to think that owning a certain motorcycle will make them cool or that chicks will suddenly dig them. A dork on a $150,000 custom motorcycle is still a dork. A cool guy on a Vespa step-thru is still a cool guy. I find it sad that someone would have such low self esteem that they actually believe owning some iconic brand of motorcycle will transform them from Richie Cunningham into Fonzie overnight.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

Sorry, Mate, but I don't spend my money with an eye toward what other people will think of me, especially people who don't actually ride motorcycles or know anything about motorcycles (or little kids in diapers). Some people seem to think that owning a certain motorcycle will make them cool or that chicks will suddenly dig them. A dork on a $150,000 custom motorcycle is still a dork. A cool guy on a Vespa step-thru is still a cool guy. I find it sad that someone would have such low self esteem that they actually believe owning some iconic brand of motorcycle will transform them from Richie Cunningham into Fonzie overnight.

;D   Right on the money!  Not all Harley riders fit this scenario of course, but I can attest to having known or met plenty who thought just because they bought a Harley they were suddenly the coolest thing on planet earth.  As mentioned earlier, it's amazing what marketing can do. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

An ugly dork on a $150,000 or a $5,000 Harley will get laid, though.  Been a lotta' places, seen a lotta' things.  Ain't never seen or heard of an ugly dork on a jap bike havin' to beat the women offn' him.  There endeth the lesson.  ;) Later--HUBBARD

« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 10:56:35 AM by HUBBARD »
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)

I don't recall ever getting laid because of what I ride/drive...I drove VW Beetles for years when I was in my 20's, and can assure everyone that I never once got laid because I was driving one...same with whatever bike I've had at any given point in my life.

Gold Wings are really great bikes for what they are intended to do, which is touring, and frankly, they are probably the best bike for that singular purpose (to date).  But, they aren't perfect either, or Traxxion Dynamics would not be doing hundreds of upgrades to the brakes and suspension each year...their Gold Wing market is HUGE.  I like HD bikes because I think they look better, and I like the way the engine feels/sounds.  Pretty simple.  They are far from perfect though, but that's OK by me.

I've always relied on other "talents" to get women I was interested in getting, and have never needed any help from "objects"...at least not yet  ;)
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle

I don't recall ever getting laid because of what I ride/drive...I drove VW Beetles for years when I was in my 20's, and can assure everyone that I never once got laid because I was driving one...same with whatever bike I've had at any given point in my life.

I ride Harleys (now that I can afford to) and still drive a '72 VW Bug almost daily......works for me.  :-* :P har.  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI

This is a weird thread.  To begin with why care enough what a bunch of Wingers are saying to waste the time to think up a response.  You ride what you ride because you like.  Screw everyone else.  As for the rest of the "no soul" weirdness the machines are all just collections of metals, plastics and paints.  The overall look and sound of the Harley may be such that we like it better at some emotional level.  But we like it better.  A lot better perhaps.  That's the only reason that matters.  Justifying that to some other clown sounds a little insecure.  "Soul" or other such yutzi reasonings are all just proof that advertising works.

This has turned very weird................

[/size]
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 02:21:42 PM by Keats »
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

admccrea

HARLEY is a way of life...you dont just get a bike when you buy one.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)

One of the things about owing and riding any motorcycle is pride of ownership, kinship to those who ride what you ride and whether we admit it on threads like this one or not, kinship with anyone on two wheels. We hold out two fingers when we pass anyone on another motorcycle. But we still take pride in our ride and whether it's serious or in jest, like to pick at those who ride something different - - whether it be a Honda loyalist trash talking a Harley rider or whatever. Spend some time around serious Ducati folks if you really want attitude  LOL ! I mostly get a chuckle out of it all perhaps with the exception of the older Honda guys who don't know what a new H-D is like and think they still rattle themselves apart after a couple hundred miles. Mostly I smile at them and ask them if they'd like to ride to New Orleans for some Jamablaya.

B B

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue

I wave and am friendly with all bike and trike riders. They got their money and their bikes so be it. You ain't gonna convince those blokes that your is as good so go the other way.

Tell them they are one eyed mullet eating wankers and GWs are are great for sheila's and with little dipsticks. Let them know that if they traveled the world over they would discover that mature men with well defined masculine self images prefer Harleys. :huepfenlol2:

G'day and Good Hunting.

Half_Crazy

Any Motor officer will tell you, you can't do this on a Wing:

Actually you could, but it would be a 30' circle

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 25 queries.