Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: hand adjustable touring shocks vs 12" air shocks  (Read 12455 times)

wolverine

• Full CVO Member
  • Rock Hard, Ride Free

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red / Black Ember
hand adjustable touring shocks vs 12" air shocks
« on: May 02, 2011, 10:52:06 PM »

How is the hand adjustable low touring shocks ride compared to the old 12" air shocks like on the 09"s? I'm wanting to lower my bike and want to get the best ride available. I tried the progressive 940's and was not that impressed with the ride and it only lowered it about 1/2". I figure this would be the place to ask as I visit here often and thought about getting a SESG. The RG won out but its a big bike and I'm a average sized.  Thanks for your thoughts. Rick
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 11:32:43 PM by wolverine »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: hand adjustable touring shocks vs 12" air shocks
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 10:59:13 AM »

My wife has an 09 Street Glide (air shocks) and I have the 10 SESG (hand adjustable).  While she has the best stock air shocks of any of the baggers I've owned, I prefer my hand adjustable shocks over hers.

While she may have a bit more of a "cush" ride, I have mine dialed tight for performance in the twisties....so it rides maybe a bit more harsh than hers.

As far as being short on the big bikes, you may want to look at changing the seat.  Corbin makes a very comfortable Close Reach seat that she has.  Then she had them narrow the tongue even more.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 12:24:32 PM »

I had the low-profile air shocks on my '02 SE Road King and now the new shocks on my '10 SESG. I liked the old shocks on the '02 and never really had a problem, but - the new shocks are much better and, of course, easier to adjust.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 01:51:59 PM »

How much money are you willing to spend to get lower?  I have a new SERGU and had to put Legend Air rear shocks on it...drops the rear 3 + inches when I need to.  But, they ain't cheap.  I've got a 29" inseam though, and I think I'm shrinking as I get older.  You can also adjust them "on the fly" for different road conditions with a push button controller mounted on the handlebar.

Personally, I would not waste a dime on any suspension components HD offers.  IMO, it's blowing money up a wild hog's butt.

If you want a 1 inch lower, high performance, FULLY adjustable (three ways) shock, which will give you the best ride you've ever had when properly set up...get a set of 300mm Bitubo shocks from Dan at Traxxion Dynamics in Woodstock, GA.  But, good chit is never cheap...or, you can probably get them from Jim (HDdude) here on the site.  I think he is a Bitubo dealer...I know he's a Traxxion products dealer, so am making that assumption on the Bitubo shocks.  They are made in Italy, and have preload, rebound damping, and compression damping adjustment.

Some here are running Works shocks, with good reports on their top of the line product, but I cannot attest to them personally.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

GusGlide

• Vendor
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 06:50:15 PM »

Go with the LEGEND AIR SHOCKS. Check out the thread on Legend Air shocks. I posted some pictures. I'm glad I did it.

nuckelhead

• Full CVO Member
  • if it ain't broke... take it off and chrome it!!!!

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 KRYPTONITE / BLACK DIAMOND
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 09:21:34 PM »

How is the hand adjustable low touring shocks ride compared to the old 12" air shocks like on the 09"s? I'm wanting to lower my bike and want to get the best ride available. I tried the progressive 940's and was not that impressed with the ride and it only lowered it about 1/2". I figure this would be the place to ask as I visit here often and thought about getting a SESG. The RG won out but its a big bike and I'm a average sized.  Thanks for your thoughts. Rick

just traded in a 2010 street glide for the 2011 CVO SESG.  no comparison in the ride as far as i'm concerned.  i rode my 2010 with full air and hardly any air.  never cared for the way the ass end felt going over even the most minor bump.  my wife always complained of the way it rode from the passenger's perspective.  you could feel every bump in the road.  she complained that the heritage i had before was more comfortable.

the 2011 is not only hand adjustable, but the 2 shocks work together as they are opposing.  one up and one down.  rides like an absolute cadillac.
everything i own has been stolen and then replaced with exact replicas....

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 09:25:33 PM »

You want lower...try a C&C seat..I found that to be a bit lower than the Corbin.

wolverine

• Full CVO Member
  • Rock Hard, Ride Free

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red / Black Ember
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 09:44:54 PM »

I need to do something. I'm ok by myself bit with a BSR Its kinda top heavy. Being short and riding a big shiny CVO just don't mix real good. I passed on some used 12" air shocks so I guess its going to get more expensive now. Thanks for all the ideas. Rick

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 05:27:40 PM »

I just put these CVO adjustable shocks on my RGC after removing the Arnott Aldan air shock system w/ compressor yesterday. I will be curious to see if they are as good or better than the Arnotts. I'm stock hight with these, but my reach is enough for me. I got the shocks for $100 new in box from the HDHD garage sale/flea market this last weekend. I thought I would try them. So far they seem firm, but what are the adjustments here? Preload...what else is adjustable with these?
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

Texas Fat Boy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 06:16:26 PM »

The instruction are for total weight of people and cargo:

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 08:54:14 PM »

So no rebound or compression adjustments???  I guess I thought I read that they were adjustable... Every frigging shock that they sell has preload doesn't it??? So it is just a pile of compromise to fit every rider and every load on all of the touring low bikes???? Boy I hope they were designed for a guy just like me ;)
Seriously, I don't see them to be much, I wonder why I was told they were better than the shocks on my bike, atleast they had 11 way rebound and the airshocks to raise or lower it as needed... I even got that on here at one point... What am I missing here???
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

SilveRT8

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 12:14:37 AM »

Just installed the HD Premium ride 12" hand adjustable shocks on my '12 SEUC.
1" lower and very nice ride, dont feel the small ripples in the road anymore, bike feels much more solid in the curves.
Front was also lowered about 1" with some Racetech adjustable emulators. Bike now feels much more nimble than before, the "enjoy factor" just went up 2 notches.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 11:46:46 AM »

So no rebound or compression adjustments???  I guess I thought I read that they were adjustable... Every frigging shock that they sell has preload doesn't it??? So it is just a pile of compromise to fit every rider and every load on all of the touring low bikes???? Boy I hope they were designed for a guy just like me ;)
Seriously, I don't see them to be much, I wonder why I was told they were better than the shocks on my bike, atleast they had 11 way rebound and the airshocks to raise or lower it as needed... I even got that on here at one point... What am I missing here???

The only adjustment is for preload...they just made it easier with the knob you can turn that does both at the same time.  I'm not sure what I think about the different springs on each side of the swingarm.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

BTAman

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 12:57:23 PM »

I put them on my 09 SERG and I love them. They are a night and day improvement over the stock air shocks. I'm a big guy and they work well for me. The small ripples have gone away and the big hits no longer tweak my spine like they did with the air shocks. I put the progressive monotubes on the front and I love the complete setup.

phato1

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2001 FLSTFI - non CVO, but really cool
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 10:01:26 PM »

Just installed the HD Premium ride 12" hand adjustable shocks on my '12 SEUC.
1" lower and very nice ride, dont feel the small ripples in the road anymore, bike feels much more solid in the curves.
Front was also lowered about 1" with some Racetech adjustable emulators. Bike now feels much more nimble than before, the "enjoy factor" just went up 2 notches.

I went with the standard height vesions on my '11 cuse6 and agree the ride is much better now. BSr also approves :2vrolijk_21:
"The solutions are all simple....after you have arrived at them."     - Robert M. Pirsig
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 20 queries.