Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Harley's 5 Micron oil Filter  (Read 16221 times)

Doc 1

• Doc 1
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Harley's 5 Micron oil Filter
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 05:05:20 PM »

The 10 micron filter is used, and recommended, because of the VERY small oil jets in the cam plate that oil the cam chains and the small piston jets. These holes can be clogged very easily and that could cost you some big bucks in repairs.
Doc
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 07:58:05 AM by Doc 1 »
Doc's Performance Tuning

www.docsperformancetuning.com

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 05:53:28 PM »

Might be wrong but logic tells me that all other things being equal, temperature, oil pressure, etc. that a smaller particulate filtration would bypass more oil than a larger particulate filter would. 
Jesus is Lord

Limited Lou

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHTCUI
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 06:43:51 PM »

We need the efficients numbers to get a good comparison (Nominal - Absolute).. A nominal 5 micron to me isn't real good.. A 10 micron absolute might be better .. They said K&N oil filters are a 15 - 18 Micron rating, allot of people use those with no problems..   :nervous:
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 08:08:09 PM by Limited Lou »
2008 FLHTCUI
Olive Pearl/Vivid Black

Limited Lou

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHTCUI
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 05:37:10 PM »

The 10 micron filter is used, and recommended, because of the VERY small oil jets in the cam plate that oil the cam chains and the small piston jets. These holes can be clogged very easily and that could cost you some big bucks in repairs.
Doc

Doc, 10 micron is recommended ? Did it change from the 5 micron ???
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 08:07:20 PM by Limited Lou »
2008 FLHTCUI
Olive Pearl/Vivid Black

Limited Lou

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHTCUI
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2011, 10:41:17 AM »

I here Harley's bypass is 60 psi ?? Has anybody heard anything about that ??  If thats the fact then that could be the answer on filters efficiants.....??  :confused5: Or a big factor...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 11:09:02 AM by Limited Lou »
2008 FLHTCUI
Olive Pearl/Vivid Black

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2011, 02:24:53 PM »

I here Harley's bypass is 60 psi ?? Has anybody heard anything about that ??  If thats the fact then that could be the answer on filters efficiants.....??  :confused5: Or a big factor...

Lou, I think someone has been blowing some smoke at you.  The oil filter bypass pressure doesn't correlate to engine oil pressure, it is a measure of the pressure differential within the actual filter due to flow resistance.  Typical filter bypass settings are more like 8 - 16 psi.  I'm not sure what the current "5 micron" Harley filter bypass is set at, but the older 10 micron was very low, like around 8 psi if I remember right.  One of the reasons a filter rated at 15 microns can outperform one rated at 10 or 5 microns, other than the bogus micron ratings themselves, is tied to the amount of oil that actually gets filtered on each pass and the amount that bypasses the filter media completely.  Btw, the purpose of this bypass valve is to protect the engine from oil starvation if the filter becomes clogged, with the thought process being that dirty oil going to the engine is better than no oil going to the engine.

As for the engine oil pressure bypass valve in the cam plate, those aren't set at 60 psi either.  At normal operating temps, the oil pressure should be in the 30 to 38 psi range at engine speeds of 2000 rpm and up. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Limited Lou

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHTCUI
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2011, 06:59:17 PM »

Lou, I think someone has been blowing some smoke at you.  The oil filter bypass pressure doesn't correlate to engine oil pressure, it is a measure of the pressure differential within the actual filter due to flow resistance.  Typical filter bypass settings are more like 8 - 16 psi.  I'm not sure what the current "5 micron" Harley filter bypass is set at, but the older 10 micron was very low, like around 8 psi if I remember right.  One of the reasons a filter rated at 15 microns can outperform one rated at 10 or 5 microns, other than the bogus micron ratings themselves, is tied to the amount of oil that actually gets filtered on each pass and the amount that bypasses the filter media completely.  Btw, the purpose of this bypass valve is to protect the engine from oil starvation if the filter becomes clogged, with the thought process being that dirty oil going to the engine is better than no oil going to the engine.

As for the engine oil pressure bypass valve in the cam plate, those aren't set at 60 psi either.  At normal operating temps, the oil pressure should be in the 30 to 38 psi range at engine speeds of 2000 rpm and up. 

Jerry, maybe someone has been blowing smoke, I'm not sure, as I'm still searching. This person on another forum seems like he knows what he's talking about. He claims a friend got info from Harley..  I understand what oil pressure is. If and when I find this in fo I will post it.. Thanks for the information.  Lou
2008 FLHTCUI
Olive Pearl/Vivid Black

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2011, 12:58:12 AM »

when ever you hear friend of a friend watch out, Jerry is correct, by pass on HD filter 8-11 psi

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2011, 10:46:10 AM »

:2vrolijk_21: Gerry
Really without actual testing per an ANSI, SAE, ISO standard we know nothing about the HD filter other than they are designed for the stock motor, meet the warranty requirement, and have passed a basic pass or fail SAE test. The 5 and 10 micron data points are nothing more than a logo if we do not know the method of testing. HD does not publish the test method nor do they publish any data specification sheets on their oil or filters to the best of my knowlege. Makes product comparasion shopping difficult at best. this may be the goal. Baisley, down the road, recomends 30 micron (absolute) cleanable filters. It is very possible these allow less quantity of <10ยต particulate than the MOCO paper filters but we have no way of knowing. Just some food for thought not a recomendation.

A relevant copy from another site
"..Most automotive filters state their efficiency rating in a micron filtering number. Micron ratings are some what of an arbitrary number as it only indicates the oil filters ability to remove contaminants at a particular particle size and not the efficiency or total contaminant holding capacity of the oil filter. Microns are a linear measurement indicating length, or in relation to automotive oil filters it indicates the length and width of various particle sizes. A micron is defined as one millionth of a meter. The standard unit of measurement in the automotive industry is in inches. A simple comparison of the two systems is that a 25 micron particle is approximately 0.001 of an inch. The averge human eye can see up to a 40 micron particle without an aid. In comparison, the diameter of a human hair is around 85 microns. Many automotive filtering companies state that their oil filters can filter down to 10 microns or 0.00033 of an inch, but at what percentage can they filter that size of a particle. Stating an oil filters micron rating without stating the filtering efficiency and capacity at that particle size is misleading. For example, all automotive oil filters will filter a 10 micron particle to some extent. Some cheaper designs will only filter one percent of all 10 micron particles in the engine oil, while others can filter out 75 percent of all 10 microns particles. The difference between a mediocre and superior oil filter design is that the poor design will only filter the 10 micron particle by chance, while the superior oil filter was designed to specifically filter 75 percent of all 10 micron particles.."
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 11:11:42 AM by Deweysheads »

Harley Guy 5

• Full CVO Member
  • Hard Work will get you everything
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2011, 11:03:07 AM »

On filter,
Our diesel shop see a lot of differants in fuel filters, when a truck comes in with a after market filter (from auto parts store) compare to the manufactures
filter, the aftermark is only getting half the mileage on them. 
As the filter starts to gets plugged fuel gets by the seals ( with diesel running high pressure fuel pumps) as the dirty fuel gets by the filter we are seeing injectors failing

I know we are talking about Oil, but with the fuel we can see all filter do a different job.
2011 FLHTCUSE6
Do I Need To Say More
Aspen Classic Camp Trailer
Bushtec Turbo II
Looking Forward To Counting the White Lines

Limited Lou

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHTCUI
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2011, 07:33:15 PM »

VERY small oil jets in the cam plate that oil the cam chains and the small piston jets. These holes can be clogged very easily and that could cost you some big bucks in repairs.
Doc

How small are these oil passages for cam plate and piston jets ??   :nixweiss:
2008 FLHTCUI
Olive Pearl/Vivid Black

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2011, 08:56:57 PM »

For reference, a micron is one millionth of a meter, or 0.00003937 inches.  So 5 microns is 0.0002 inches (2 ten thousandths).  There are no oil passages or clearances in a Harley remotely close to being that small.  If it was really necessary to use a 5 micron filter instead of a 10 or even a 30 to keep those oil passages open, there would be millions of Twin Cam engines with plugged passages sitting in shops all across the country waiting for overhauls.  I'm not aware of that actually being the case.   

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2011, 09:00:48 PM »

Piston jet I.D. is approximately .025/.030

A check valve in each jet opens only when the oil pressure reaches 12-15 psi, at which point the engine is operating above the idle speed. At idle speeds (9-12 psi), the valve remains closed to prevent over oiling and to ensure proper system operating pressure."

Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2011, 10:32:57 PM »

At idle speeds (9-12 psi), the valve remains closed to prevent over oiling and to ensure proper system operating pressure."

Sounds good in theory until you start testing the jets (I made a jig to do that), some blow oil just motoring the rods by hand on a motor with the top end off, hung wide open.

Consider the new 5 micron filter VS the older 10 micron verrsion. Based on what we know they didn't have to change anything, they do not reveal testing results and I am sure the older 10 micron filters filtered some percentage of 5 micron effluent,  don't you think? So the 10 is also a 5 then based on how they present the product with not even a J-1858 data profile.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 10:38:05 PM by Deweysheads »

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2011, 02:16:14 AM »

Consider the new 5 micron filter VS the older 10 micron verrsion. Based on what we know they didn't have to change anything, they do not reveal testing results and I am sure the older 10 micron filters filtered some percentage of 5 micron effluent,  don't you think? So the 10 is also a 5 then based on how they present the product with not even a J-1858 data profile.

I agree.
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 20 queries.