Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: HOW are you all getting so many miles out of new rear tire????????  (Read 13638 times)

tompen

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: HOW are you all getting so many miles out of new rear tire????????
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2011, 08:29:36 AM »

I have brought this subject up a few times. My experience is the same as you. I get "around" 5,000 miles on the rear tire. My 03,05,and 08 all had to be replaced at 5k. The 07 went 7,000 for some reason. I have always traded before the replacement tire was worn out. In 2007 I bought a new Suzuki Bandit 1250 and only got 3,500 miles on that one. Harley dealer service department says i am on the low side of normal, but since it happens every time it must be me. I must be too aggressive. I have been riding since 1970 and My aggression left a long time ago. Anyway, it helps to get to complain again.
The Suzuki dealer, who I have known for most of the 40+ years I have been riding, says I probably use to much rear brake and down shift to soon.

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2011, 05:18:21 PM »

Maybe the BIG, in" Bigdave", is costing you some tire mileage! Remember, GVW is only 1,460lbs.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

bigdave110

• Senior CVO Member
  • I can't take it with me N I ain't givin it to you!
    • PA

• CVO1: 2008,11,12,13 FLHTCUSE (all sold)
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO street glide(sold) 2017 CVO Street Glide(sold)
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO street glide (Black)
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2011, 08:07:14 PM »

Maybe the BIG, in" Bigdave", is costing you some tire mileage! Remember, GVW is only 1,460lbs.

Now that was just mean!
But true!
HA ;D
Dave

ridefar

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2011, 10:31:08 AM »

I'm thinking that if a Dunlop engineer somehow managed to develope a tread compound that would be safe on a 900 pound bike plus passengers and last for 25,000 miles on a rear tire that the Harley dealer network would want to have him "wacked"! Tire sales are a big part of a dealers business and if they were to last that long there is not much sales going on. I am both jealous and highly suspicious of anyone claiming 25k miles on a rear tire of any friggin' motorcycle period! Did Dunlop suddenly develope some otherworldly technology, or do myself and everyone that I have ever come into contact with just operate their bikes like maniacs and ride on super abrasive road surfaces? I have never gotten over 10k miles on a rear tire before it either hit the wear bars or became dangerously cupped so as not to be useful.

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2011, 12:34:13 PM »

RF, Unless mine wears out over night, that big ol tire on the rear of my 09 ultra is going on 12,000 mi and still looks good. it has a narrow flat spot in the middle but its got a good ways to go to hit the wear bars.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2011, 12:50:16 PM »

'09 SERG.  Ride alone about 50%the or the time.   First set replaced at 9,100 miles due to severe cupping front and rear.  Just put on new set at 27,384 miles.  Probably could have gone another 1000 miles on the rear but riding of the coast this weekend with a BSR.  Front tire looked fine but I was able to pick one up for $100.  Seemed like a good idea to throw it on.

GK

BTW, Brake pads at 50%.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 10:08:46 PM by GregKhougaz »

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2011, 03:42:30 PM »

You guys using so much rear brake scare me. One post above says rear brakes replaced @ 30K and frts still originals. I replace fronts around 15K on the last three HD's I've had but never replaced a set of rears. Guess we all ride differently.

ridefar

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2011, 09:05:35 PM »

I have spoken with several riders who believe that if they grab a handfull of front brake that they will be automatically catapaulted over the handlebars and onto the road! Scarry indeed!

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2011, 11:55:48 AM »

You guys using so much rear brake scare me. One post above says rear brakes replaced @ 30K and frts still originals. I replace fronts around 15K on the last three HD's I've had but never replaced a set of rears. Guess we all ride differently.

Without being indelicate...I would say that anyone who uses more rear brake than front doesn't really practice good riding skills and is an accident waiting to happen.  Since about 70% or more, depending on the situation, of stopping power comes from the front brakes (just like a car), the rear brake is almost an "emergency" brake.  Overuse of the rear brake on a bike will get you into trouble much more quickly than using the front appropriately.  It will also wear the rear tire out more quickly than whatever is "normal" for that brand of tire.

That's what makes me uncomfortable riding in groups where I'm not familiar with the individuals riding skills...I don't want people in front or behind me who don't know how to properly slow their bike down or make clean stops.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

ridefar

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2011, 01:55:15 PM »

Sir, you are stating fact. One of the lessons I remember from MSF safe riders course is always use both brakes.( stay off that front in very low speed manuvers) The instructors were not happy with anyone locking up the rear towards the end of instruction, and I believe that they deducted lots of credit for doing so. I had this poor guy die in front of my house this time last year. It was obvious what happened from the prominant skid mark that you can still see in the road. An oncoming car was making  the evil left turn in front of him, he panicked and stompted on that rear brake pedal with all his might. The bike swapped ends, went sliding down the road into the opposite lane and under the left turning suv. This was a new Dyna he was riding and I just keep thinking that if he could have utilized 100% of available braking power instead of 30% that he may have kept the bike up and under control and possibly avoided fatal injury. What a waste...

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2011, 02:28:02 PM »

Saftey courses teach you to always apply rear brake first and then front. Many of us live in north eastern states where lots of sand is put on the roads and and too much front brake will get you killed. Maybe out west they can rely on just the front brake? I did live in ca for a combined total of 14 years and can tell you their worst roads are far better than our best roads back here in the east. JM2C
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

Fattbaggernknox

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2011, 03:49:47 PM »

I get average mileage on my tires as I do ride aggresive & almost always two-up. I do have a question on the Dunlops though. I went thru (3) sets on my 09 RG & the rear cups out always & sounds like a mudgrip after 7000 miles. I always check tire pressure before riding & they werent out of balance. It's always puzzled me & I have friends with 09 up bikes that rear do the same. ( original 407 fronts cupped but warrantied)  I use Metzlers now and they wear even w/o the cupping & curious if others have experienced this?   
2011 fltruse FBI wheels& hidden axle 574 Fuelling cams & lifters.J&M rocker series speakers & amp, Rb Racing black hole spyder 2-1, Aim-vpc92,SE 58MM TB, HPI 5.3 inj. Tuned by Strokerjlk 112.76/118.99 sae 115.42/121.85 std

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2011, 06:56:37 PM »

Saftey courses teach you to always apply rear brake first and then front. Many of us live in north eastern states where lots of sand is put on the roads and and too much front brake will get you killed. Maybe out west they can rely on just the front brake? I did live in ca for a combined total of 14 years and can tell you their worst roads are far better than our best roads back here in the east. JM2C

Too much of either will get you killed in certain situations, and of course you have to when to do what.  Sand or gravel, wet pavement, etc. always dictate not only how much brake to apply, but how much of front/rear.  It's always a good idea to use both...I just think it's wise to get your reactions down to "automatic" mode, which includes using both...but when it's possible, the front requires less effort for stopping in the same distance.

The point is simply it's a bad practice to use the rear brake as your primary way of scrubbing off speed.

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2011, 07:06:54 PM »

Here's a pretty good article on tire wear in general and some of the causes.

http://www.rattlebars.com/tirewear/index.html

TTS Mastertune

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2011, 08:52:23 PM »

Not to hijack the thread, but how about mileage on front tire?  I got 24,000+ on my first one.
T
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 24 queries.