Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: HOW are you all getting so many miles out of new rear tire????????  (Read 13718 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: HOW are you all getting so many miles out of new rear tire????????
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2011, 08:26:31 AM »

Well, finally had to change my rear tire out on the limited.  Wasn't sure how I faired on mileage, so came back to the site to do a bit of post change research.

2/32 left on the tire (dead center) and reasonable cupping was evident.  With the wet season comming up, decided it was time.  7801 miles, probably could have gotten a bit more, but was in to get the 7500 service and brake switch recall done.  Figured it was a no brainer to switch the tire at the same time.

Front is doing ok.  It was between 4/32 and 5/32 with no major cupping issues.

I'll admit, I downshift a ton and accelerate hard (typical to enter freeway at wot or near wot -- actually whenever it's safe to go from 0 - speedlimit +10, I generally seem to be at wot), but never to the point of breaking the tire free noticeably.  Oh, and about 70% of those miles were done following JC.  :D  :2vrolijk_21:

Also had engine work done but not sure how much of that contributed, given that it was only for the last 2800 miles of the tire life.  Given what I read in another thread a while ago; and this one, I think I'm ok with the tire wear.  Hope to get a bit more out of this one knowing a bit more about what is probably causing my wear.

Now to see just how long the front holds out.   :nixweiss:

I feel better now, about the mileage I've been getting! :nervous:

By the way, an incredable OTD cost difference in the three dealerships near by for the front and rear.  I called HD of Sacramento, Folsom HD and Eagles Nest yesterday.  Sacramento HD quoted me an out the door price of nearly $780, Folsom HD $495 and Eagles Nest is still $460.  Got both front and rear done in Folsom last night......just because I didn't have to take half a day off from work (what I'd have to do to go to Eagle's Nest). 

Plus I heard last week that Eagles Nest denied warranty work on a compensator issue because the guy had air cleaner, cams and exhast work done.   :zwtf:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Envithyx

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Summer Rain" 07/24/1963 - 07/07/2010

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 - Cherry Red w/ Flames and Glass Eyed Skulls
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHTK - Cherry Red Sunglo / Merlot Sunglo w/ Flamin' Eagle Theme
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2011, 08:48:14 AM »

I feel better now, about the mileage I've been getting! :nervous:

By the way, an incredable OTD cost difference in the three dealerships near by for the front and rear.  I called HD of Sacramento, Folsom HD and Eagles Nest yesterday.  Sacramento HD quoted me an out the door price of nearly $780, Folsom HD $495 and Eagles Nest is still $460.  Got both front and rear done in Folsom last night......just because I didn't have to take half a day off from work (what I'd have to do to go to Eagle's Nest). 

Plus I heard last week that Eagles Nest denied warranty work on a compensator issue because the guy had air cleaner, cams and exhast work done.   :zwtf:

Ouch, Eagles Nest sounds like they are trying to put themselves out of business.  What a large range on prices no less.  I got my rear tire installed for $354.09, but my out of pocket expense was only $4.09 given that I had points still and burned a $350 certificate.  Once my points are all gone, I'll be more in a position to shop around.
2009 FXSTSSE3
Custom Paint/Wild 1 Chubby Drag Bars/V&H 2-1 Big Radius/ThunderMax

2011 FLHTK
Custom Paint/Wild 1 Bagger Bars
V&H Duals w/ M. Ovals, Ness AC, PC-V Auto Tune and SEPST Base Tune
V&H ThrottlePak
SE Pro Stage III - 10.5:1, SE259E
HD Mirrors w/ LED Aux Running
HD LED Lighting: 7" w/ Bezel Trim, 4" Aux, Turn Sigs (Smk Frnt, Red Rear), Tail Light (Chrome), Fenders (Smk Frnt, Red Rear w/Brake)
Zumo 665 - Fairing Mnt - NIM
Boom Audio Spks, Amp, Bass Booster
Chromed Out

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2011, 10:24:51 AM »

You paid dearly for those points.....they don't give them out for free.  At $354 for a tire installed is a case in point.....they have everything jacked up so high and then try to make it sound like you're getting a deal with those "free Points". :nervous:

That same tire at Eagles Nest is $230 and at Folsom $249.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Envithyx

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Summer Rain" 07/24/1963 - 07/07/2010

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 - Cherry Red w/ Flames and Glass Eyed Skulls
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHTK - Cherry Red Sunglo / Merlot Sunglo w/ Flamin' Eagle Theme
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2011, 10:48:20 AM »

You paid dearly for those points.....they don't give them out for free.  At $354 for a tire installed is a case in point.....they have everything jacked up so high and then try to make it sound like you're getting a deal with those "free Points". :nervous:

That same tire at Eagles Nest is $230 and at Folsom $249.

I take it that's installed price?  The tire itself was $232.11, can't believe they wanted that much labor to install.

Agree that there was a price to pay for the points; but while I now have em, doing my best to burn em before they decide to nullify them.  Good news is I'm down to $40 left so my options will open up soon.  :2vrolijk_21:
2009 FXSTSSE3
Custom Paint/Wild 1 Chubby Drag Bars/V&H 2-1 Big Radius/ThunderMax

2011 FLHTK
Custom Paint/Wild 1 Bagger Bars
V&H Duals w/ M. Ovals, Ness AC, PC-V Auto Tune and SEPST Base Tune
V&H ThrottlePak
SE Pro Stage III - 10.5:1, SE259E
HD Mirrors w/ LED Aux Running
HD LED Lighting: 7" w/ Bezel Trim, 4" Aux, Turn Sigs (Smk Frnt, Red Rear), Tail Light (Chrome), Fenders (Smk Frnt, Red Rear w/Brake)
Zumo 665 - Fairing Mnt - NIM
Boom Audio Spks, Amp, Bass Booster
Chromed Out

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2011, 11:16:15 AM »

Changing my front and rear tires out at 17,500 miles.  The bad is cupping badly on the edges.  Front could probably go to 20,000 but changing anyway.

Ordered American Elite's from a local Honda dealer.  Went this summer for a PWC part and they had a sign up that they marked up tires $15 each.  $135 for the front and $180 for the rear.  $33 each for mount and balance from them.  Figured I would try them and not pay the stealer price at the dealer.

Will let you know how it works out as I am changing them next week.

32Lager

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Ultra
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2011, 12:38:12 PM »

I've been looking seriously at the American Elite's too. Dunlop is claiming you can run an Elite rear tire with a 408 on the front. There are some personal reviews out there but most people haven't been running them very long. I'm anxious to hear what you and others think of them.

I like their description: This is the only replacement motorcycle tire for Harley-Davidson motorcycles that is designed, tested, and made in America. The tread design provides even tread wear and quiet operation in wet and dry conditions. The American Elite sidewall design proudly features the American Elite name and a Made in USA logo.

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2011, 02:27:44 PM »

I think I'll keep my "old frame" 08 CUSE and get 24,000 miles on the front and 14,000 on the rear.  And that's running stock HD Dunlops (MT90-16 front and MU85-16 rear) which sell for a reasonable price here on the net.
T

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2011, 03:41:48 PM »

I think I'll keep my "old frame" 08 CUSE and get 24,000 miles on the front and 14,000 on the rear.  And that's running stock HD Dunlops (MT90-16 front and MU85-16 rear) which sell for a reasonable price here on the net.
T

That's not normally the case, especially on the rear.  6-8K on the rear was more or less "normal" on the old tires.  It all depended on how you rode.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Janine

• FXDSE2
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FXDSE2
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2011, 04:31:33 PM »

I got 20000 miles on my first rear tire and have 15000 on the second with lots of tread left. Granted, I don't carry much gear and ride solo. Hubby went out and bought all the tire changing gear to do our tires from now on as it was cheaper than paying the stealer for installation on two bikes!
Member 4721
FXDSE2-Candy Cobalt/Midnight Blue

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2011, 07:38:57 PM »

That's not normally the case, especially on the rear.  6-8K on the rear was more or less "normal" on the old tires.  It all depended on how you rode.

I have 58,000 miles now on my 08 CUSE and have continually gotten that same kind of mileage on the tires.  I pay attention to tire pressure religiously (40-42 psi) and am not heavy-handed off the line.  I also change my own tires and pay attention to wheel alignment - even though the Ultras have cams for rear axle alignment, one has to watch that tightening the axle nut does not allow the right cam to walk away from the weld nib on the frame (I have seen it happen causing rear wheel misalignment).
T
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 24 queries.