Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: waiting for a tow.  (Read 1636 times)

kb

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 serk twilight/cobalt blue
waiting for a tow.
« on: August 01, 2011, 08:55:05 PM »

Sitting here on rt 138 in RI waiting for a tow for my serk. I had just completed installing Fulsac tru dual and wanted to see / hear the results.  I really didn't expect that much of a loud sound. More than that I certainly didn't expect to lose my primary belt. There was no warning shifted into 3rd gear and
 nothing there. It appears that the belt separated at the seam. Just received a call from the tow service they want $200 for a 15 mile tow. I hope tomorrow is a better day.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 09:19:50 AM by kb »
kb

hooligan

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: 09 XB12X Buell Ulysses
    • CVO3: 05 XL883C
Re: waiting for a tow.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 09:04:01 PM »

That sucks... One of the reasons I have CAA Gold they will put my bike on a flat bed and its good for 200klms or 165miles.. knock on wood haven't had to use it.  :)
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me

Razor Red
SE Heavy Breather
V & H Slip ons
Power Commander 3 usb
Diamond cut Cylinders and Heads
True Track
Chrome Inner Primary & Tons of Chrome

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 10:15:28 PM »

One free tow of your choice per year with your HOG membership. $19.95 extra for the tow package that will cover the other tows. Also almost all the insurance companies (Allstate, Progressive, USAA etc) offer tow and labor now on your policy for a very cheap amount. Mine is less than $16.00 year. No real reason anymore for anyone to pay a tow bill, unless you want to. First complaint I always here is that HOG will only tow to closest dealer, well who cares. Let them tow it to the dealer and then move it wherever you want with your buddies if you don't want dealer to repair, using tow and labor policies you can have it towed where ever you want. Main thing is no $200 suprises from someone who has never towed a bike before and is not equipped to do so.

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 08:31:49 AM »

I had one break a couple years ago, what a PITA that was. Luckily bike was under warranty. I've always wondered if that emegergecy belt repair kit actually works, is it worth packing away just in case?   :nixweiss:

kb

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 09:24:15 AM »

Had bike towed to my house last night. My local dealer is picking up bike today. HOG only covers $100. for towing and its a one shot deal so dont break down 2 times in one year.
kb

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 10:03:40 AM »

Sounds like you meant your secondary....it's a belt.  Your primary should be a chain.

Do you have all your belt guards on?  Some people take them off for cosmetic reasons (looks) but they're there for a reason.  One little tiny rock can put a hole in a belt and from there it's only a matter of time.

If you're a member of HOG (national is all that's required, don't have to be a member of a local chapter) then you can get road service for $20 a year and upgrade (cover hotel room and all) for a bit more.  It's called Road America but you have to have a HOG ID number to join.

They don't just take you to the closest motorcycle shop......they take you to the next dealership.  So while you may have several independent shops around you, they may be taking you several towns away.  Sure saved my butt on a break down in Idaho once.  That truck took us about 120 miles through five towns to the closest dealership.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

gordy

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 11:12:55 AM »

I had a terrible experience with HOG. On an out of town trip, my SERG had an oil leak at the oil filter adapter, late one Sunday afternoon.  Was told that they would arrange to tow it to the nearest dealer and leave it outside their front door and I was responsible for my own way home.  The bike was 7 months old and still very much in demand, so do you think it would still be there Monday morning-I didn't.
Phoned CAA, (Canadian AAA) upgraded my existing policy and they trailered the bike over 100 miles to my house (a $400 expense)and I got a ride to the front door.
That Harley Davidson is SERVICE.  What you offered was a joke and guess who isn't a HOG member anymore.
My automobile club now covers my auto, motorcycle, motorhome and trailers-why not?     

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 11:37:02 AM »

Another lesson we learned the hard way is to always carry soft ties with you. The tow trucks usually don't have them and could care less about your paint and chrome. Doc

kb

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 11:50:32 AM »

The driver was really a pretty nice guy. He took extra time to make sure the bike was not damaged
He definitely had a tip in mind and deserved for the extra care.
kb

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 12:44:34 PM »

Another lesson we learned the hard way is to always carry soft ties with you. The tow trucks usually don't have them and could care less about your paint and chrome. Doc

Good point Lou.  And when you're on the phone, be sure to tell them to send a flatbed only.  I was with somebody else when they had to be towed......they sent a truck with hooks (no flatbed).  So we had to wait another hour or so, for the flatbed.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 12:50:38 PM »

Blew out a front motor mount along 101 in Oregon....BCAA (CAA) towed me past 2 dealers to the nearest one with a motor mount in stock...Had the 'PLUS" membership.

Oh yeah.....on a flat bed with soft ties!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 01:05:59 PM by dayne66 »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 01:04:22 PM »

Good point Lou.  And when you're on the phone, be sure to tell them to send a flatbed only.  I was with somebody else when they had to be towed......they sent a truck with hooks (no flatbed).  So we had to wait another hour or so, for the flatbed.

I hear you JC, and you have to be there to watch them. Last summer if I hadn't refused the ambulance ride they would have just set it on its side on the flat bed, and without soft ties they ended up straping to the grips which damaged the fairing and rubber mounts for the handle bars. I noticed that we have a post for members with trailers and I think I'll try that next time first even though I have AAA (what next time!!!)   Lou

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 01:59:04 PM »

I hear you JC, and you have to be there to watch them. Last summer if I hadn't refused the ambulance ride they would have just set it on its side on the flat bed, and without soft ties they ended up straping to the grips which damaged the fairing and rubber mounts for the handle bars. I noticed that we have a post for members with trailers and I think I'll try that next time first even though I have AAA (what next time!!!)   Lou

Just like a boy scout.....always prepared.  Cause you and I know......with the kind of riding that we do.....sooner or later there will be a next time.  :nervous:

West Coast GTG   

hooligan

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: 09 XB12X Buell Ulysses
    • CVO3: 05 XL883C
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2011, 10:05:52 AM »

That sucks... One of the reasons I have CAA Gold they will put my bike on a flat bed and its good for 200klms or 165miles.. knock on wood haven't had to use it.  :)

Chit  spoke to soon... Stopped for fuel last night when out on my Buell damn thing wouldn't start.. :nixweiss: CAA brought her home on a flat bed.
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me

Razor Red
SE Heavy Breather
V & H Slip ons
Power Commander 3 usb
Diamond cut Cylinders and Heads
True Track
Chrome Inner Primary & Tons of Chrome

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2011, 10:45:47 AM »

I have AAA.  Not only peace of mind, but the various discounts that come along with the card more than pay for the annual membership fee.... :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 24 queries.