Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 2010 Ultra sound upgrade ..choices?  (Read 6475 times)

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 FLHTCUSE5, FullSac Xpipe, 2",TTS, 8 speaker HogTunes!
    • CVO2: WO's Chubby 578, Road Tech Zumo 660
2010 Ultra sound upgrade ..choices?
« on: August 23, 2011, 02:13:11 PM »

2010 Ultra sound upgrade ..choices?

I was just doing some searches and was over whelmed

I am thinking of upgrading my sound system on my 2010 Ultra.
I have the HK system w Nav. Its OK but would love to hear better.
I would like to know the steps to take.
 A good , Better, Best type of plan.
I do like that I can burn mp3s to a disk on my HK unit.  I can get about 150 songs on a disk!

I am thinking of starting with replacing the speakers see how I like that.
I have Not heard Hawg Wired, or J&M's Rokker series.
How do these compare? Any others I should consider?
Price and discounts?

Thanks
I was so much Older then....I am younger than that Now.

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2018 RGU
    • CVO2: 2018 FreeWheeler
    • CVO3: 2007 VRSCX Vrod #328
Re: 2010 Ultra sound upgrade ..choices?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 04:27:20 PM »

a friend of mine just installed the 7.25 J&M speakers "not the rokker series" on his older model street glide, and that convinced me i need to upgrade mine, when funds allow the rokker's are going in my ultra
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
2007 V&H PRO Stock Tribute #328 VRod
IBA Member 45500

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 06:05:46 PM »

I just got the 7.25" Rokker's in the fairing and in the lowers, with the 5.25" in the rear installed on my SEUC at Sturgis. John said with the Ultra, the 500w amp wouldn't work so well, so they set it up so that the rears and the front lowers run off the stock 160 HO amp. Then they installed the 125.2 to run the Fairing mounted fronts.  It's freaking loud!

Previously, I was running last years 7.25's in the front, and the matching 5.25's in the rear and that was very good for a modest investment - and great bang for the buck upgrade. I'd suggest that unless you are looking to upgrade the amp and will just be running with the stock system, the Black 7.25's with the matching rears will be more than adequate. Dr V-Twin offers forum members a nice discount, which helps as well.

My buddy actually got my J&M take out speakers, and was stunned at the improvement on his 2010 Ultra Classic.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 06:08:38 PM by mrmagloo »
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 11:00:44 PM »

Thanks !
I was just looking at the vids on youtube.  Whoa!!  That 500 wt job is Awsome!

But I think that's too much for me..*
I did not see any EG's
The idea of a smaller extra amp seems appealing.
Is there a kit for that priced out?
I wont be doing anything until it gets cold.  It would make a Great Christmas gift eh!

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 11:34:01 PM »

I got a pretty good discount. Would have been cheaper had I bought it from Dr V-Twin and did the install myself, but it was an impulse buy, and didn't have the right tools nor a means to get it all home, so we worked out a fair deal to have their guys do the install.  I'm now toying with the idea of doing some kind of an upgrade incorporating another amp with the new rear saddlebag lids they came up with. That might be a winter project as well.  I'm still trying to understand why the 500w amp won't work with the CVO Ultras as ideally, I'd get that to run the batwing 7.25's and the Saddlebag lids in the rear. Then use the stock amp to run the rear tourpak 5.25's and the lower 7.25's. That would be a pretty sweet set up.  Imho, with some wattage on those 7.25's, and the size of the saddlebags, that should really help with the bass.

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • Taillight Solutions
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 01:28:38 AM »

I upgraded my stock speakers (front and rear) with the Kuryakyn / Kicker PS5250 5.25 coaxial's for $129.00 a pair. I also added the hogtunes tweeter pod that I had painted to match my inner fairing for $150.00. I get constant compliments on the sound quality and the volume I can run the speakers at without distortion. I previously had Hogtunes speakers in my 2007 CVO Ultra and also liked them. After reading the great reviews on the Kickers I decided to try them out and would recommend them to anyone. I have heard the J&M, bazooka, and Harley Boom Audio products but was not that impressed with the volume level they could be played at. They all sounded great but could not be pushed very hard before popping and cracking, even with an amplifier.

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 11:19:19 PM »

I am still studying on the internet.

With extra amps has anyone taxed the electrical system?
Two extra amps just seems like a lot to me......but I would love to hear it!

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 12:42:17 AM »

I am still studying on the internet.

With extra amps has anyone taxed the electrical system?
Two extra amps just seems like a lot to me......but I would love to hear it!
I'm running two amps now, the stock 160w HO amp you have to run 4 speakers, and the 250w amp running the 2 batwing speakers. I'm not having any issues with the power, but then again, you just can't crank it while just sitting still at idle - It's too LOUD.  With just the stock amp and the J&M speakers, at highway speeds, I could hear the music fine, but when approaching 80 mph, I felt I could use a little more umph.  Now with the additional lowers and the 250w amp added, I don't ever really need to crank it. It actually gets too loud and my ears will begin to hurt. I've self imposed myself not to bring it up over the M in volume so I don't go deaf. I think the J&M stuff is pretty good for what it is. It's designed to plug and play with the stock Harley equipment, look stock, and no hacking or encroaching in the storage areas. It looks totally stock, exceeds my expectations, and I think is a great value at ~$1,200 total.

That said, I have seen some custom over the top systems which sound fantastic, costs a small fortune, but you loose storage - lots of storage in some cases, and I'm just not real keen with stuff that looks add-on or out of place. Imho, a pull out LCD screen and all that stuff is ridiculous. Big amps and speakers taking over the tourpak and saddlebags just ain't my thing. Sounds great, but it's just not worth all of the compromises to take it to the next level, imho.

I will say I've sat next to my buddies bike with the Hog Tunes stuff, and there's no comparison. He's now contemplating a change. Beyond that, I cannot comment on the other stuff out there.

If there's anyone in the area that want's a demo, shoot me a PM.

480Ruger

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 04:36:19 AM »

I’m happy with the old J&M 7.25s front and 5.25s rear from Dr. V-Twin (highly recommend!), with the stock amp.

Tried the HD boom stuff first.  Dealer said they upgraded the software to the Boom system.  Not sure what difference that made.

I installed the J&M 250W amp to run the fronts and the used stock amp for the rear.  Really makes the 7.25s rock over the stock amp and the mount is perfect.  I just didn't like the way it tapped into the signal wire to the stock amp so I sent it back.

I was waiting on the J&M 500W to come out.  Not sure why they said it wouldn’t work to run all four speakers and just remove the stock amp.  Looks like I’ll be doing some more homework.
03 FLSTFI
   95" stage 3
04 VRSCB
   PC-3
   Rhineharts
10 FLHTCUSE5
   Bub 7 TDX
   Zipper's MaxFlow
   Tmax

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 09:23:10 AM »

I'm running two amps now, the stock 160w HO amp you have to run 4 speakers, and the 250w amp running the 2 batwing speakers.
Do you have the Rokker Speakers? 
Do you have speakers in the lowers?
Is there tweeters in your Fairing speakers?
Thanks

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 09:29:53 AM »

I got a pretty good discount. Would have been cheaper had I bought it from Dr V-Twin and did the install myself, but it was an impulse buy, and didn't have the right tools nor a means to get it all home, so we worked out a fair deal to have their guys do the install.  I'm now toying with the idea of doing some kind of an upgrade incorporating another amp with the new rear saddlebag lids they came up with. That might be a winter project as well.  I'm still trying to understand why the 500w amp won't work with the CVO Ultras as ideally, I'd get that to run the batwing 7.25's and the Saddlebag lids in the rear. Then use the stock amp to run the rear tourpak 5.25's and the lower 7.25's. That would be a pretty sweet set up.  Imho, with some wattage on those 7.25's, and the size of the saddlebags, that should really help with the bass.

This sounds like the system I am heading for.  (Not the 500w famous last words...right..*S)
I was reading that some guys dont like the Hog Wired Bat wing speakers because they are so heavy.  How are the Rokkers in the Bat wing?  How is the trebble in these speakers?
Thanks

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 10:53:13 AM »

Do you have the Rokker Speakers? 
Do you have speakers in the lowers?
Is there tweeters in your Fairing speakers?
Thanks

Yes, I have Rokkers all the way around. The 7.25's in the Batwing running the 250w amp.  I have the 7.25' lower kit and the 5.25's rear running off the stock Harley HO Amp.

My plan was to go with this system but go with the 500w instead, but John told me there was some sort of an issue with that amp with the Harley HO amp on the CVO's. Perhaps there will be another version that works down the road.

This sounds like the system I am heading for.  (Not the 500w famous last words...right..*S)
I was reading that some guys dont like the Hog Wired Bat wing speakers because they are so heavy.  How are the Rokkers in the Bat wing?  How is the trebble in these speakers?
Thanks

The Rokkers are surprisingly light. they use those super strong magnets, so you don't need a big mass. The Rokkers are all three way speakers and the highs and mid range is fine.

JMJOHN

• JMJOHN
  • Vendor
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 11:27:06 AM »

The J&M ROKKER series components are impressive of course ,,,,

J&M ALSO offers very competitively priced 7.25" fairing and 5.25" rear speaker kits, for use with the stock Harley HK radio, that will provide better sound & fidelity than any other brand ,,,,

take a look at the Harley pages on the J&M website at http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=43  ,,,, http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=44   ,,,,,,

for the ULTIMATE sound experience for your Harley Bagger, see the ROKKER series audio page at http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=45 ,,,,
JMJOHN ,,, John@Jmcorp.com ,,,,

J&M Corporation CVO Member Discount

RedEagle

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 06:33:03 PM »

I called J&M today to get a quote for 6 speakers and a 250 wt amp for my 2010 FLHTCUSE.
I spoke with Al and he said that they do not recommend using their amp on my EG with the factory 160wt amp!!
He recommended just a four speaker swap out and use my stock amp.  i was surprised, but reluctance on their part is Caution on my part for sure!!

I think I will look at Hog Tunes.  I would love to hear them though.

I am going to start a new thread just about '06 and newer SEEGs with Hog Tunes.

I am in no hurry and I will explore more options.  Who knows maybe I will take Al's advice and just swap four speakers.

I do like the idea of the Hog Pod tweeter,  but I have to remove my dash pad.....Hmmmm!

I called the local dealer parts and he told to come down and listen to the NEW SE I think its a Street Glide anyway it has the new Boom Audio setup!

Thanks to everyone who pitched in...the shopping continues

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 12:43:35 PM »

I called J&M today to get a quote for 6 speakers and a 250 wt amp for my 2010 FLHTCUSE.
I spoke with Al and he said that they do not recommend using their amp on my EG with the factory 160wt amp!!
He recommended just a four speaker swap out and use my stock amp.  i was surprised, but reluctance on their part is Caution on my part for sure!!

I think I will look at Hog Tunes.  I would love to hear them though.

I am going to start a new thread just about '06 and newer SEEGs with Hog Tunes.

I am in no hurry and I will explore more options.  Who knows maybe I will take Al's advice and just swap four speakers.

I do like the idea of the Hog Pod tweeter,  but I have to remove my dash pad.....Hmmmm!

I called the local dealer parts and he told to come down and listen to the NEW SE I think its a Street Glide anyway it has the new Boom Audio setup!

Thanks to everyone who pitched in...the shopping continues

Call and ask for John. Something doesn't sounds right here. You have the exact same set up as I do and it works great.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 20 queries.