Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Can you install rings / cylinders with common "automotive" tools  (Read 3200 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

Just read a question in PM from one of the brethren wondering if there was "any trick to installing cylinders and rings using my automotive ring compressor?"  Did a search and it's either never come up or I just couldn't find it (either of which are possible).  Since it's not at least easily found it's worth putting out here rather than just in PM.  Someone else may wonder someday.

Yes, you can.  Only two "tricks" I can think of one should be aware of.  There are two type of ring compressors.  Barrel and band type.  Any band type compressor will get the job done.  The bands come in various size ranges.  Make sure you're sized correctly.  If you've got a set of bands that have your bore size as the dividing point between two bands use the smaller of the two that is correct for your bore size.

Only other thing I can think of when using the tool is that if the band is marked either "up" or "down" turn it upside down to use it when putting cylinders down over the pistons on your bike.  Your doing the job exactly backwards from how one would install pistons in to a cylinder in a car engine.  If the tool's grip allows a slightly narrower compression at one end or the other (which is why you'd have the "up" or "down" mark on the band) you'll want it reversed from an automotive install position to use on the bike.

With that in your head it's a simple enough chore.  Piston on the rod, wrist pin clips installed (don't forget the assembly lube) and rings on the pistons (don't leave the gaps lined up and set the ring end up in the cylinders according to the ring mftr's specifications). 

I like to leave the piston lower in the stroke rather than up high.  Not so low, of course, that the cylinder can't drop down.  But low enough that the cylinder studs take some of the side-to-side rock or yaw out of the cylinder as you push it down over the rings.  If you don't keep it straight it's easy for the ring compressor to release the lower oil ring retainer ring.  You don't want that to happen.

Once the cylinder is down over the rings release the ring compressor and get the band out of the way.  Then finish dropping the cylinder in the hole.  If you need to rotate the crank to bring the other piston up or down in preparation for its cylinder then put a nut on a cylinder stud of the cylinder just installed.  This is to keep that cylinder from raising out of the cases as you turn the crank.

That's all.  I shan't broach the semi-religious topic of installing rings wet or dry.  Do as your ring supplier tells you and "don't worry be happy."

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
Re: Can you install rings / cylinders with common "automotive" tools
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 07:27:39 PM »

Last time i did it i put the pistons into the cyls on the bench and then slid the cyl down until it aligned with wrist pin. Pretty easy if you got three thumbs :bananarock:

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 08:04:42 PM »

Don, nice write up  :2vrolijk_21: I wish AMF had read the "wrist pin clips installed" part on my first HD in'73. Said the vibration was "normal". I pulled it apart and all 4 clips were missing and jugs were toast. Go figure

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 08:16:08 PM »

Last time i did it i put the pistons into the cyls on the bench and then slid the cyl down until it aligned with wrist pin. Pretty easy if you got three thumbs :bananarock:

I've done it that way too Van.  But how easy that is or isn't depends greatly on the type of wrist pin clips being used and (sometimes) if you've got an extra pair of hands or not. 

Circlips, snap rings and spirolox clips all require different levels of dexterity (and vocabulary!) and some can just be more trouble than they are worth with the cylinder up on top in the way.  The gent asking the question was working alone and, while setting the cylinder down can still make you say a bad word or three sometimes, you can always do it that way with one pair of hands.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 08:18:49 PM »

Don, nice write up  :2vrolijk_21: I wish AMF had read the "wrist pin clips installed" part on my first HD in'73. Said the vibration was "normal". I pulled it apart and all 4 clips were missing and jugs were toast. Go figure

Bowling balls never had wrist pins.  Guess it wasn't in their learning curve.....

Have pulled a couple of other engines down over the years with the same problem though.  Any mistake that is possible will eventually. 

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 08:56:03 PM »

Never tried it on a modern bike, but when I was in the automotive field, I was a fan of this style compressor.
Very easy to use and never a scuff.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 08:57:37 PM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 09:03:23 PM »

Never tried it on a modern bike, but when I was in the automotive field, I was a fan of this style compressor.
Very easy to use and never a scuff.

Another of the several different types of "band" compressors out there anymore.  Have seen some very pricey and ostensibly "high tech" tools for this pretty simple job the last few years.  Don't own one like that Duane.  But have used one a couple of times.  Easy to use and a good stable tool.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 09:05:40 PM »

Yeah, this one is not only easy, but fairly cheap.
Although not as cheap as the hose clamps I used on my first engine rebuild a long long time ago.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 10:34:02 PM »

Clean the cylinders with ATF until no color change using the lint free paper towels (costco blue). Finish with brake clean, acetone, MEK, MPK, or your favorite high evaporative volatile and fresh blue towels until absolutely no residue. Hospital clean. Drop of Total Seal assembly lube AL4 in each ring groove, use the same oil in the cylinders lightly. Nothing wrong with using their Quick seat dry film powder either. Follow their instructions.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 11:05:22 PM »

Clean the cylinders with ATF until no color change using the lint free paper towels (costco blue). Finish with brake clean, acetone, MEK, MPK, or your favorite high evaporative volatile and fresh blue towels until absolutely no residue. Hospital clean. Drop of Total Seal assembly lube AL4 in each ring groove, use the same oil in the cylinders lightly. Nothing wrong with using their Quick seat dry film powder either. Follow their instructions.

Can't reinforce enough to clean, clean, clean.  Benches always get a thorough cleaning and covered before engine or automotive transmission work is done.  Another thing to remember is stuffing clean rags in the cylinder holes before putting pistons on the rods.  Dropping a wrist pin clip down inside your engine is a good way to invent new combinations of very bad words and raise your blood pressure until you fish it back out.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 06:38:26 AM »

Bowling balls never had wrist pins.  Guess it wasn't in their learning curve.....

Have pulled a couple of other engines down over the years with the same problem though.  Any mistake that is possible will eventually.  

If it wasn't for AMF, with all their dough, Harley-Davidson Motor Company, WOULD NOT be here today, as Minneapolis-Moline was next on the list, and we (as least I do) know where they are.
Just so you'd know.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 11:31:29 AM »

If it wasn't for AMF, with all their dough, Harley-Davidson Motor Company, WOULD NOT be here today, as Minneapolis-Moline was next on the list, and we (as least I do) know where they are.
Just so you'd know.

It's been discussed here, and elsewhere, many times before that AMF's financial contribution is what set the stage for Harley Davidson's resurgence.  Development money for the Evo engine gets much of the press and a central point in the history but there were other projects both toward development and modernization that were also important.  So the point is nothing new and isn't dismissed in the least.

That has nothing to do, however, with the fact that as a group it's still fun to occasionally make fun of the AMF era, its problems and the glaring lack of knowledge that the sporting goods manufacturing company had about motorcycles and other heavy industry.  Just because the "bowling ball" jokes are old doesn't mean we still don't like them or recognize them for what they are

I know this because the light bulb guy told me so.

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 01:22:10 PM »

There much MUCH to that story, than a 2 paragragh summary, but I'll let it rest.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 03:14:21 PM »

There much MUCH to that story, than a 2 paragragh summary, but I'll let it rest.

There are several histories already written.  Some good web links offering shorter versions also.  We're not here to cut and paste that history nor show our mousing skills by doing so.  Anyone with Google and the ability to spell AMF can find all they need.

Ticitme

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2012 CVO Street Glide

• CVO1: 2012 Street Glide Dark Slate/Black Diamond
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 07:35:54 PM »

Ring compressors? How about wide zip ties.... Works on most anything and cost next to nothing.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 24 queries.