Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: oil pressure  (Read 12732 times)

Z10

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze
Re: oil pressure
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2011, 08:30:07 PM »

At that time of your discussion the Twin Cam was finishing up its 5th year in service. Did he share any insight regarding specific issues resulting from H-D designing a lubrication system running pressures lower than he recommended?

I don't recall. It did appear there was significant disagreement between him and the HD engineers.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2011, 10:39:29 PM »

At that time of your discussion the Twin Cam was finishing up its 5th year in service. Did he share any insight regarding specific issues resulting from H-D designing a lubrication system running pressures lower than he recommended?

I don't recall. It did appear there was significant disagreement between him and the HD engineers.

The folks at Feuling do promote the concept of adding more oil to overcome “inadequate oil flow” and cool various internal components. Snippets from the "The Twin Cam Era” chapter in the book “The Harley Davidson Century” cover in detail how this approach was tried initially and failed to produce the desired results. Clearly the folks at Feuling and H-D have opposing viewpoints on how to lubricate and cool the Twin Cam engine.

The paragraph in the book describing how reducing the volume of oil to the top end by 400% to 600% resulted in a 30 degree reduction in oil temp seems to debunk the myth that more is better; this is significant when you consider that the additional oil was originally intended to cool the engine.

digga25

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 serg
    • CVO2: 2010 sesg
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2011, 10:49:17 PM »

I have noticed that the motor on  my bike is considerably cooler and quieter since the install of the hi flow oil pump from Feuling

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2011, 07:35:23 AM »

I have noticed that the motor on  my bike is considerably cooler and quieter since the install of the hi flow oil pump from Feuling
Have you by any chance shot it with a temp. gauge before & after?  :-\ spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

digga25

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2011, 08:10:59 AM »

No I use the digital oil dipstick from HD. I know that they are unreliable but it is all I have for a reference. Heat used to be close to 300 deg. now no more than 225.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2011, 02:43:02 PM »

No I use the digital oil dipstick from HD. I know that they are unreliable but it is all I have for a reference. Heat used to be close to 300 deg. now no more than 225.

You didn't do anything other than change the oil pump to get that dramatic drop in oil temp?
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

digga25

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2011, 04:30:15 PM »

No sorry, changed the whole cam chest out. But i believe that the oil pump was the major factor. Also switched from TTS to Rev Perf EMS.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 20 queries.