Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Installing new mufflers  (Read 2155 times)

bloper123

• Full CVO Member
  • Wheel weight came loose. I have a dented fender.

• CVO1: 2011 1/2 Screaming Eagle serial#9987
Installing new mufflers
« on: October 20, 2011, 09:24:49 PM »

Is it very complicated to take off old mufflers and to but new ones pack in there place, Ive near done this but i would like to try it if its not something special  you have to do. Seems like I always get in to something harder that it should be on a simple job ?? Help    2011.5 scream eagle ultra    Yes I just want to take Off my Rinehart mufflers and but my new 2.0 fullsac mufflers on bike that steve done for me instead of paying dealer one hours pay just to but slip on mufflers on bike, How do you get the back two screws out without take bags off.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 10:31:49 PM by bloper123 »
bobby

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
Re: Installing new mufflers
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 09:37:36 PM »

I am by no means a mechanic... except maybe if under the shade tree.

I'm guessing you are talking about changing just the tail pipe section behind the head pipes... if so (replacing with a slip-on), it's pretty easy... even I could do it.

I took off the saddle bags first, using a creeper to save my back, and then just loosening the clamps and bolts (remove) that keep the tail pipes in place.

Cleaned any residue from the head pipes (if any) and slipped the stock tail pipes back on, reversing the process, after I removed the baffles and glass.

Be careful to realign the saddlebags back exactly, and don't use too much force to close the little pins that keep the bags attached.  If out of alignment you may notice a little friction when attempting to insert the pin... if so, check the alignment again and adjust as necessary.  The pins should close relatively easy, and in my opinion do not seem to be doing much, but so far the bags haven't fallen off.
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

wideglidejoe

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 09:48:46 PM »

Bobby,

Not sure if I understand your question.  1) You want to remove your slip on mufflers and replace them with a different slip on?  Or (2) remove your slip on mufflers, remove the baffles and reinstall a different baffle and reinstall your slip ons?

#1 isn't hard at all.  If you have another set of slip ons, you could probably do both of them in an hour or less, even with limited mechanic skills/experience.  There's one clamp on the front of the slip on, and a hanger with two bolts at the rear of the slip on; same for the other side.

#2 is a little more detailed, but still easy, in my opinion.  Loosen the heat shields and rotate them slightly to be able to remove the three set screws that hold the slip on end caps in place.  Remove the end caps.  Then remove the slip on by loosening the front clamp and removing the two hanger bolts.  Wiggle the slip on back and forth and pull to the rear.  Eventually the slip will slide off.  Don't drop it and scar it!!  After you have the slip on removed, you can grind off two spot welds that hold the baffle in place.  I used a dremel.  Once the welds are ground thru, you can use pliers to pull out the baffle, or coax the baffle out by tapping on the inlet of the baffle.  Once you have the baffle out, you can install someone else's baffle.  I recommend Fullsac.

The are other threads on this forum that probably explain this better than me, but I removed my slip ons, removed the stock  baffles, installed the Fullsac baffles, and reinstalled the slip ons and end caps in about 30 mins per side.  While I had my slip ons removed, I also installed the Fullsac X pipe "B" ceramic coated header.  After the header and slip ons were reinstalled, I downloaded a new map from Fullsac.  Well worth it, a world of difference.  You won't regret it!

Last, and no disrespect intended to T Hawk, I have the exact same bike, and I didn't even remove my saddle bags.  T Hawk, thank you for your service!!

Best wishes!!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 09:55:31 PM by wideglidejoe »
2011 FLHTCUSE6 Blue
2005 Wide Glide
1962 Mustang Bronco Scooter
1972 Indian (Italjet 50cc) minibike
1965 AC Cobra replica
1955 Chevy Bel Air

T-Hawk

• Senior CVO Member
    • AK

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 10:05:39 PM »

I have the exact same bike, and I didn't even remove my saddle bags.
Best wishes!!
Yeah, I wasn't 100% sure what I was getting into before I laid down on the creeper... not necessary to go through the hassle of removing the bags and taking a chance at dropping them or getting the pins broken trying to force them back on.

No offense taken, and you are most welcome... Thank You
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 11:50:15 PM »

Hello from Australia,

I have the same 2011.5 BIG BLUE...  Taking the bags off is easy peasy...  Play with one pin, twist it, take it off and look at it and put it back in a couple of times.  Then do both of them, and the back just lifts off of rubber mounts that are pressed over the support rail.  Lay the bags down on a blanket.  It is good to get used to taking them off for maintenance or cleaning the rear wheel or what ever, not a hassle..

On the slip on mufflers, I have done this job on a RoadKing, an Ultra, and a CVO Street Glide.   You loosen the front clamp, like a solid banded hose clamp, and loosen it and slip it forward on the header pipe...  Then in the back of the muffler at the tail is one simple bolt to take loose.  You wriggle the muffler back and forth and up and down as you pull back on it and it comes off..  To put the new one on, wriggle it on until it is about as far on as the other one was, and then put the back bolt on.  There is some adjustment in the bolt so put both of them on before you tighten anything up..  Then you want them both in about the same side to side equal position and you can tighten up the bolts on the back, and then go put the clamp on and tighten up the front... 

Not a big job.  About two beers the first time...  Second time, a one beer job...

Regards from Australlia, Cowboy, BIG BLUE now getting about 440-450 kms per tank on the highway at speed limit, about 280 miles per tank...  Going like a FREIGHT TRAIN, best HD I have ever had by far......

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 12:57:50 AM »

Hey Cowboy! :drink:

Sweet looking scooter! :2vrolijk_21: I couldn't help noticing on your rear fender the black cover for your fender bolt. I wonder why they didn't put the Custom Vehicle Operations badge in it's place??? :nixweiss: Guess it's on the ones only in the states. Here is a picture of my rear fender to see what I'm talking about....

:bananarock:

Cowboy2

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 01:19:05 AM »

Cool JR, very cool...  Thanks for that...

That is an old picture and I have a chrome one with raised rings in the place now... They do some funny things on the International versions... Some good, some stinky...  :2vrolijk_21:

BIG BLUE, is about 11 weeks? now since new, 2011.5 first on the road I know of in Austalia.. I have now gone 6000  + kms.  Running GREAT...  Mods?  Led Headlights, now a Klockwerks turned out screen, Led tail light, Monster Ovals, Cat Gut, metal wheel weights painted black replacing the wonky plastic bulky ones, LEDs Windscreen trim with indicators, Chrome radio surrounds and guages, all I can think of right now... More coming..  Good looking bikes these Dressers are, I am in love!!  Some small chance of a 10,000 East to West Nullaboor crossing the Australian Bight next month, East to West and back for a rally.  I will post pictures of the run if I go..

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2011, 07:51:04 AM »

Is it very complicated to take off old mufflers and to but new ones pack in there place, Ive near done this but i would like to try it if its not something special  you have to do. Seems like I always get in to something harder that it should be on a simple job ?? Help    2011.5 scream eagle ultra    Yes I just want to take Off my Rinehart mufflers and but my new 2.0 fullsac mufflers on bike that steve done for me instead of paying dealer one hours pay just to but slip on mufflers on bike, How do you get the back two screws out without take bags off.
Simply: "Super Easy"
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

bloper123

• Full CVO Member
  • Wheel weight came loose. I have a dented fender.

• CVO1: 2011 1/2 Screaming Eagle serial#9987
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 09:25:49 AM »

OK  I think I can Do it this weekend,  Thanks for all the help  Im glad I found this site
bobby

T-Hawk

• Senior CVO Member
    • AK

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 01:58:43 PM »

Thanks for all the help  Im glad I found this site

Bobby, you ain't kidding... I had been using (abusing) this site for a couple of years, when all I had was an 105th Anniversary Wide Glide, for answering or steering me in the right direction for information on this and that.

Welcome to the site from one newbie to another  8)

Ted
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 03:46:44 PM »

blooper123, If you want to make the swap even easier pick up a small tail pipe expander(you can get one from your local auto parts dealer or a Harbor Freight store which is where I got mine)   and insert it into the inlet of the mufflers you are going to install to stretch out the opening.They come in different sizes so check what size you need, mine is medium size. 1.54-2.31 inches Harbor Freight part no P37353) You only need expand the inlet just a little bit to make them slide over the header pipe. Prior to installing the mufflers put a little antisieze on the end of the header pipe so that next time you swap out mufflers they won't be so difficult to pull off.A lot of times the mufflers will slip over the header pipe with out any headaches, but I have done this many times for myself, and for my friends and just a little expansion of the muffler inlet goes a long way. Tighten it down to the proper torque and you will be fine.I hope this helps.CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 03:59:01 PM »

blooper123, If you want to make the swap even easier pick up a small tail pipe expander(you can get one from your local auto parts dealer or a Harbor Freight store which is where I got mine)   and insert it into the inlet of the mufflers you are going to install to stretch out the opening.They come in different sizes so check what size you need, mine is medium size. 1.54-2.31 inches Harbor Freight part no P37353) You only need expand the inlet just a little bit to make them slide over the header pipe. Prior to installing the mufflers put a little antisieze on the end of the header pipe so that next time you swap out mufflers they won't be so difficult to pull off.A lot of times the mufflers will slip over the header pipe with out any headaches, but I have done this many times for myself, and for my friends and just a little expansion of the muffler inlet goes a long way. Tighten it down to the proper torque and you will be fine.I hope this helps.CAHDBIKER

That's what I love about the people here (myself included)--We give advice with tips on how to remove the new parts you are installing so you can replace them again down the road :huepfenlol2:  I know..I know..it's in case you need to get them off for something else...but it was funny to think about

The mods are never really done......
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 04:03:12 PM by mjb765 »

gabhart

• Full CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 05:47:32 PM »

Yeah, I wasn't 100% sure what I was getting into before I laid down on the creeper... not necessary to go through the hassle of removing the bags and taking a chance at dropping them or getting the pins broken trying to force them back on.

No offense taken, and you are most welcome... Thank You

Why would you not remove the bags to get to the 2 bolts near the end of the muffler? I can't imagine trying to pull off or reinstall a muffler trying to get it off/on the header along with the resistance from the rubber isolator that holds the rear of the muffler in place. Or get the bolts off with the bags in place. Talk about making it hard on yourself! (Opinion of course!)
Fullsac X-Pipe "B", TTS Mastertune, Rinehart Slip-ons, full LED conversion

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 06:20:28 PM »

Why would you not remove the bags to get to the 2 bolts near the end of the muffler? I can't imagine trying to pull off or reinstall a muffler trying to get it off/on the header along with the resistance from the rubber isolator that holds the rear of the muffler in place. Or get the bolts off with the bags in place. Talk about making it hard on yourself! (Opinion of course!)

X2  Every time I do a thorough wash job, I take mine off to clean both the inside faces of the bags and the wheel, tire, swingarm, brakes, and bag holders. It only takes a couple of seconds to pop them off, seriously! I just assumed everyone else did the same...
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

gabhart

• Full CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 06:54:19 PM »

X2  Every time I do a thorough wash job, I take mine off to clean both the inside faces of the bags and the wheel, tire, swingarm, brakes, and bag holders. It only takes a couple of seconds to pop them off, seriously! I just assumed everyone else did the same...

Yup, I take them off for every time I do a cleaning.
Fullsac X-Pipe "B", TTS Mastertune, Rinehart Slip-ons, full LED conversion
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 25 queries.