Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Author Topic: HDPDPLUS iPod Interface  (Read 25046 times)

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: HDPDPLUS iPod Interface
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2012, 12:53:03 AM »

Sounds good Jim, standing by.

Dan, the 2 big things steering me to the HDPDPLUS were the lower cost and then I was reading about functionality. From what I recall the H-D branded unit drops off line at times and then it restarts from the beginning when you restart the bike. The HDPDLUS unit shuts off and then restarts with the last song played. It's been awhile since I researched it so someone let me know if I misunderstand the problems.

Not sure if it would be worth it in your situation since you've covered the cost. Do you notice that the ipod has to restart from the beginning when you fire back up? Low audio levels were another thing mentioned but I read about an increase in output levels by converting MP3 songs to native iPod AAC files and shutting down the volume limiter. I can see how the volume limiter would cause problems but I just downloaded a converter and will see what happens when I update my iPod. Unfortunately the laptop I was using died and I'm hesitant to erase my Nano at this time. Not much to go on for ya, but maybe that'll help a bit.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=75527.0
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2012, 08:09:39 AM »

I have an early interface. I have definitely noticed the low volume, freezing and starts songs over. In addition, if I select a static playlist (not smart one that automatically changes songs), it ALWAYS starts from the same song.

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2012, 05:31:42 PM »

I have an early interface. I have definitely noticed the low volume, freezing and starts songs over. In addition, if I select a static playlist (not smart one that automatically changes songs), it ALWAYS starts from the same song.

Steve, I'm a bit slow. Are you talking about the H-D brand interface or the original aftermarket HDPDPLUS version? Since I had mentioned close to the same thing to Dan, I'm thinking you mean the H-D branded interface. Just want to make sure I'm squared away with your meaning.

If the HDPDPLUS was doing this...I'd be really bummed out. Hopefully Mark wouldn't let something like that remain in later production runs or the next gen. Thanks!
2007 Softail Custom

SteveFLHTK

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2013 Tri Glide

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUTG
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2012, 05:32:56 PM »

Definitely talking about the HD Brand Interface.

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2012, 05:40:36 PM »

Roger that, thanks Steve.
2007 Softail Custom

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2012, 12:01:40 PM »

I talked to Mark during the week and he confirmed the new cable system is coming but does not yet have a firm date. It seems like most interested parties want to wait for the new cable system so when it is availible I will start a group buy thread with pricing info.

Jim, is it just the cable or the entire module thats getting updated?
Doug
Hawg

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2012, 01:06:04 PM »

One quick thought...

I've got an iPod hardwired to the HK radio, and it worked great sitting in my Riders Claw. However, the 30-pin connector has worn out after a year, and now this hardwired angle is not so attractive. For whatever reason, all of these generic connectors are just not the same quality as the Apple deals.  When they start going, you'll either loose the charging or a channel will start crackling in and out at every bump, eventually loosing everything. Wiggling the connector and contact cleaner will help for a while but I'm sensing this could turn into a royal PITA having to get these hard wires replaced every year or so, especially if you have to remove and ship the radio everytime.

My thinking is, why don't these kit guys come out of the harness or radio with a female USB lead?  This way, when the connector wears out, you just get a new USB to 30-Pin cable which are cheap and available anywhere.  Just heat shrink the USB connectors together under the fairing and replace once a year for $10 or as necessary, without having to send out the harness or radio?

I heard about just getting a 30 pin male to female extension, but a USB to USB is much stronger and will last forever, and allows using a very common 30pin to male USB that are sold on every city block.

Thoughts?

2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE Red
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2012, 01:19:08 PM »

It would be interesting to see what you have ... any pics?
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2012, 01:21:10 PM »

One quick thought...

I've got an iPod hardwired to the HK radio, and it worked great sitting in my Riders Claw. However, the 30-pin connector has worn out after a year, and now this hardwired angle is not so attractive. For whatever reason, all of these generic connectors are just not the same quality as the Apple deals.  When they start going, you'll either loose the charging or a channel will start crackling in and out at every bump, eventually loosing everything. Wiggling the connector and contact cleaner will help for a while but I'm sensing this could turn into a royal PITA having to get these hard wires replaced every year or so, especially if you have to remove and ship the radio everytime.

My thinking is, why don't these kit guys come out of the harness or radio with a female USB lead?  This way, when the connector wears out, you just get a new USB to 30-Pin cable which are cheap and available anywhere.  Just heat shrink the USB connectors together under the fairing and replace once a year for $10 or as necessary, without having to send out the harness or radio?

I heard about just getting a 30 pin male to female extension, but a USB to USB is much stronger and will last forever, and allows using a very common 30pin to male USB that are sold on every city block.

Thoughts?

That makes total sense  :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 06:59:40 AM by Hawg »
Hawg

CVOThunder

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2012, 02:47:15 PM »

We'll see what comes to confirm the upgrade but I do believe that is coming with the upgrade. A cable and connector from the fairing towards the back with a cable connection and ipod style connector on the other end. Sure hope I'm not wrong cuz that's the big reason I'm waiting for the upgrade. I hope to put the cable connection under the seat and then run the pigtail from there to the bag.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 02:50:11 PM by CVOThunder »
2007 Softail Custom

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2012, 03:41:17 PM »

Yeah I think we're all hoping for the quick disconnect between the seat and the saddlebag like the H-D version.

I'm hoping for a little more length (not much) to make it to the tourpac. The bags come off occasionally, the tourpac NEVER!!

2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

gabhart

• Full CVO Member
    • NC

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2012, 10:52:10 PM »

Count me in on version 2.0!
Fullsac X-Pipe "B", TTS Mastertune, Rinehart Slip-ons, full LED conversion

Hawg

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2012, 07:04:47 AM »

I inquired and this is what I received...
"The software and operation is the same for the HDPDPLUS and the new HDPSPLUS II.  The difference is the elimination of the gernder changer box needed for bikes with a CB, XM, or Nav.  The new one will make it easier to install for those bikes.  The other differences are the reverse polarity protecton, that protects the unit if the power and ground are connected backwards, and continuous charging when iPod is not selected.  The new cord will be shorter, and will not reach the saddle back or tour pak, but we now have a new cable that can be purchased separately for that installation."
Hawg

Gamma742

• Senior CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2012, 09:58:17 AM »

Well, I guess I will mount it in the (locking) Lowers. That was my second choice. I'll have to ty-wrap the cord to the engine guard  ???
2017 Road King
2010 Convertible

gabhart

• Full CVO Member
    • NC

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2012, 10:07:11 AM »

I inquired and this is what I received...
"The software and operation is the same for the HDPDPLUS and the new HDPSPLUS II.  The difference is the elimination of the gernder changer box needed for bikes with a CB, XM, or Nav.  The new one will make it easier to install for those bikes.  The other differences are the reverse polarity protecton, that protects the unit if the power and ground are connected backwards, and continuous charging when iPod is not selected.  The new cord will be shorter, and will not reach the saddle back or tour pak, but we now have a new cable that can be purchased separately for that installation."

Sounds like they are taking the same marketing courses as HD. Now we will need to spend more money to get a cord long enough for the tour pak/saddle bag!
Fullsac X-Pipe "B", TTS Mastertune, Rinehart Slip-ons, full LED conversion
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.