Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: What camera is best for my BSR  (Read 1346 times)

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
What camera is best for my BSR
« on: December 07, 2011, 07:55:15 AM »

We are looking to upgrade our camera. Our present camera is a Nikon Coolpix L100. We are not happy with some pictures it takes. The problem with the camera is focus problem. Sometimes the pics come out great & times they are blured. This problem happens when taking still pics but more when we are riding.

Christmas is coming & I would like to buy my BSR a better camera.

Any suggestions on a better camera ?
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

PASN YU

• Ride Hard
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2019 FLTRXSE Mako Shark
Re: What camera is best for my BSR
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 07:59:33 AM »

Go Pro HD Hero 2.  :2vrolijk_21:

Trust, but verify.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 08:28:30 AM »

You've seen many of my ride reports.....I use the Nikon D-60.  It's the smallest DSLR that Nikon makes.

However, I've had my fair share of blurred pics.  That occurs when the camera itself is not being held completly still when shooting.  Push down on the button and push the camera down. :nixweiss:  As I concentrate more on holding the camera still, the less blurred pics I have.  

If you focusing on something closer up, ten to twenty feet away then that's even more critical.....meaning it takes even less movement of the camera for it to be blurred.  If you're shooting way off into the distance (a mountain or lake scene off in the distance) then it's not as critical and takes more movement before the pictures are blurred.

I still shoot fifteen or twenty photos for every one that I actually post.  You can never shoot to many, to get those few good photos. :2vrolijk_21:

As far as point and shoot cameras, that Canon that Don (D Davidson) uses takes pretty nice pics.  But I'm sure if you talk to him, he'll tell you that he gets his fair share of blurred pics, too. :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 08:31:26 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Mrs Rooster

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rooster May Crow But The Hen Delivers The Goods!!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 09:45:04 AM »

My camera of choice has always been a Canon. I am using a Canon powershot SX110... oh my heck, it's a 110...never realized that until right now. :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: I love my camera, has an image stabilizer which helps for those blurry shots. The most important feature to me is a good zoom...I have to shoot on the go.  ;D
We are never lost sometimes it just takes longer to get there.

TinSpinner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 10:14:36 AM »

The most likely problem for the blurred pictures, aside from camera movement, is the focusing logic in your Nikon. There are so many different settings on some of these newer digital cameras that unless you take a lot of time to learn them and choose which ones work best for your style of photography you may be disappointed with any brand. I use a Nikon D80 DSLR when I have room to bring it and all the peripherals along, it is much bigger and bulkier than the Coolpix. I recently purchased an Olympus TG-610 Tough camera, a small point and shoot, that is most impressive. It is small enough to go anywhere I go, shockproof, waterproof to 15' underwater, shoots great stills and short movie clips. It is nowhere near the camera that my Nikon is but for that class of camera I have been very satisfied with my choice.

One problem most people have with the digital cameras is they are holding the camera at arms length to view and compose the picture using the small screen on the back. Some cameras, my Olympus for example, have no optical viewfinder so you have no choice but to use the screen. If you have a choice though you should use the viewfinder, you can hold the camera much more steady than you ever could with your arms extended, hence more clear pics than not.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 10:43:12 AM »

The most likely problem for the blurred pictures, aside from camera movement, is the focusing logic in your Nikon. There are so many different settings on some of these newer digital cameras that unless you take a lot of time to learn them and choose which ones work best for your style of photography you may be disappointed with any brand. I use a Nikon D80 DSLR when I have room to bring it and all the peripherals along, it is much bigger and bulkier than the Coolpix. I recently purchased an Olympus TG-610 Tough camera, a small point and shoot, that is most impressive. It is small enough to go anywhere I go, shockproof, waterproof to 15' underwater, shoots great stills and short movie clips. It is nowhere near the camera that my Nikon is but for that class of camera I have been very satisfied with my choice.

One problem most people have with the digital cameras is they are holding the camera at arms length to view and compose the picture using the small screen on the back. Some cameras, my Olympus for example, have no optical viewfinder so you have no choice but to use the screen. If you have a choice though you should use the viewfinder, you can hold the camera much more steady than you ever could with your arms extended, hence more clear pics than not.

That's probably true.  And it's not that I have all that many.....maybe 5%.  Other problems are out of frame, etc. And the Nikon D-60 doesn't have a screen on the back to view what you're about to shoot (only for viewing after it's taken) and the view finder is hard to use at 60-70 mph that many of my pics are taken at.  So I have no choice but to do my best between using the view finder when I'm able to ride without hands to view and focus and just putting it on automatic, holding it up with one hand and shooting away, hoping to get lucky. :huepfenlol2:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 10:57:21 AM »

My wife and her cousin like attending indoor concerts. (I don't think they've missed any Trace Adkins concerts within 500 miles for several years now!).  She's tried several different camera's, but has yet to bring home pictures that aren't blurry.  The problem is the lack of lighting. 

Who knows of a point and shoot digital camera that works well in an indoor setting with low lighting - and has a decent zoom capability?
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 12:35:35 PM »

Canon S95 - a most excellent pocket point and shoot. There are many good reasons why this little pocket cam is priced where it is, you get what you pay for.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-S95-Stabilized-3-0-Inch/dp/B003ZSHNGS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323279294&sr=8-1

Here is one take of a review.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/s95.htm

« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 12:37:20 PM by porthole »
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 12:37:04 PM »

we are very happy since some years with the Olympus Togh concept, presently TG 810 and my bsr takes several 1000 pics a year with it from the bike. It's reasonably water- and shockproof while the Nikons we used to have never lasted long on the bike. Camera got a stabilizer and good focus, only disadvantage is it's a little slow and not the best under weak light, if that's on the program we take the big Nikon DSLR but you can't take pics with that one from the backseat.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2011, 12:47:24 PM »

Just got one of these for my mom, great zoom for its size, image stabilizing and gps. Really good price here

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-PowerShot-SX230-HS-Digital-Camera-4GB-Bundle-/290642875735?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item43abaa5557#ht_6027wt_1156

Master Guns

• Senior CVO Member
  • USMC MGySgt Retired (1968 - 1990)

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 01:15:21 PM »

My wife carries a Canon PowerShot SX10 with her on all bike rides.  She is a photoholic!  I have even caught her riding down the road taking pictures on the fly with only one hand on the handle bars (she rides her own bike).  I will say that I don't like the lack of safety on her part.  Here is a picture she took on Thanksgiving near Estes Park.  She did have both feet on the ground for this one.
Semper Fi

You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 01:33:54 PM »

Hey Danner,   

Another "Dan" started a similar post last year and there is some good information there:     
Extended Zoom or "Bridge Digital Camera" Questions?
My choice, with which I'm very happy is noted in reply #3.   I did a fair amount of research at the time and am sure the technology has gotten even better.  I found a very good resource in CNET.  They have informative reviews of nearly all things electronic and you can compare different cameras. 

From your first post, it seems you need a fast camera with a lens stabilizer.  There are plenty out there.... Good luck! 

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 01:52:44 PM »

My wife carries a Canon PowerShot SX10 with her on all bike rides.  She is a photoholic!  I have even caught her riding down the road taking pictures on the fly with only one hand on the handle bars (she rides her own bike).  I will say that I don't like the lack of safety on her part.  Here is a picture she took on Thanksgiving near Estes Park.  She did have both feet on the ground for this one.

"Photoholic"......great!  Do we have to go to meetings? :nixweiss: 

Lack of safety on her part?  I mean afterall, she has a hand on the bars. :nixweiss:  I did to when I took this pic....had to....didn't dare try this one with no hands on the bars  :nervous:..... 

West Coast GTG   

Master Guns

• Senior CVO Member
  • USMC MGySgt Retired (1968 - 1990)

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 02:10:54 PM »

"Photoholic"......great!  Do we have to go to meetings? :nixweiss: 

Lack of safety on her part?  I mean afterall, she has a hand on the bars. :nixweiss:  I did to when I took this pic....had to....didn't dare try this one with no hands on the bars  :nervous:..... 

Great picture!  No meetings required just enjoy looking back at all those photos.  After a long road trip she will review the photos she has taken and delete the 'bad' ones.  That is one big advantage of a digital.  You can review and delete/edit and end up with a nice album of pictures to look at, send via internet, post on web sites, etc.
Semper Fi

You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 02:37:10 PM »

JC- has worked real hard to get his photo;s to tell a story.He has also goes out of his way to show the east of the Mississippi folks a great time if they want to ride with him or nor-cal event.I can't believe the time he spends to get it right!  HATS OF TO JC FOR HIS EFFORT . Brother/Friend For Ever.Thanks JC .  ps. Gary get your butt out here
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 08:03:01 PM by ak »
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.302 seconds with 20 queries.