Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: Lifter Noise  (Read 20908 times)

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
Re: Lifter Noise
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2012, 07:26:13 AM »

Front pipe came out after loosening rear header pipe exhaust flange nuts and the two bolts supporting the right tailpipe.  Wilmington dealer forgot to install a nut on the bolt that supports the rear header pipe behind the rear cylinder. Bolt was there, no nut on it. Also found the rear upper heatshield clamp loose.

Here is a "great" looking tensioner shoe (HD technicians words.)  Tech told me not to worry about it for another 25k miles.  Bike currently has 25k miles on it. Glad I pressed ahead even after finding the loose hardware. Will be out of town the rest of the week. Next week will begin ordering parts.

In all honesty, that tension shoe looks mighty darn good for 25,000 miles.
Have seen 'em half missing at that mileage, but have seen untouched early-style, still in a clients bike at 130,000 miles.
Naturally they were toast, but they were the original part nonetheless. :)
Scott

Z10

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2012, 12:24:05 PM »

Planning on going back together with the factory cams (25k miles.)

zeflash

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2013, 09:38:06 AM »

Hey Z10, it's been a long while and I was wondering if you got to the bottom of this. My 07 SERK does pretty much exactly the same noise, but when warm (go figure).
I've changed the oil pump to a SE one, put in Andrews 54 cams in it, the whole engine overall is much quieter than before, but the ticking is worse.

After spending the days this week looking at various youtube & forum posts, I'm willing to take the next step & change the lifters & pushrods, with S&S ones most likely. Did you do this on yours? Did it fixed anything?

Cheers

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2013, 01:12:11 PM »

The S&S lifters seem to be quite a solid part.
Scott

Thermodyne

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2013, 10:00:05 AM »

The MoCo went to a very poorly built imported tappet during the 11 model year.  The previous tappets were prone to roller/hardening failures at mileages in the 25K range.  The 11 on tappets can and do fail much sooner.  They have the same roller hardening issues as well as some problems with the internals.  MoCo policy is that it must have a loud noticeable tap sitting on the stand and observed from the general vicinity of the right side.  Scooter with intermittent tapping or that only tap out on the road are not in need of repair.

To be fair, lots of scooters with fairings and lowers will amplify the sounds of the valve train, and the Twincam has a noticeable noise from the valves snapping shut.  But it seems to me that they have become far too uncaring about running down intermittent issues with the tappets.  It's as if they know that the majority of them won't completely fail before the repair becomes a non warranty issue.

On my 103 the tap had become an almost every ride occurrence, so I went after it myself @6000 miles.  I was able to localize the noise to the front tappets, but not as to intake or exhaust.

At first glance, the front tappets showed some accelerated roller wear.  The rear tappet rollers were bright and had a shiny surface.  Both of the front tappets showed some deterioration of the surface hardening, and one had lost it's shine, looking rather grey and dull.

The internal plungers also were not what I would have expected.  One was of a rather poor machining quality, while the other was very polished up from contact with the bottom of the pushrod socket.  The polished plunger was almost .010 shorter than the other.

I went back together using S&S parts, and no longer have the loud tapping noises.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2013, 10:30:59 AM »

Part of, but only a small part of the problem, is trying to hone the blind hole (the main body) accurately to within 1 or two tenths the complete length. Needs to be ID ground to achieve that.

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2013, 12:16:21 PM »

From what I understand, there are no issues with the old "B" lifters, right?

I ask because I will be replacing my OEM lifters on my 2009 SERG with Gaterman 1021's, which apparently are the old "B" lifters.
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 20 queries.