Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10  All

Author Topic: SOMETHING TO WATCH ..STAGE III BUILD,IN PROCESS...  (Read 14995 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: SOMETHING TO WATCH ..STAGE III BUILD,IN PROCESS...
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2012, 03:14:33 PM »

Yes , twolaner...the combo of the head work with the 625 S&S cams were a first for Hillside.

You seem very pleased and that's, of course, all that matters.  Joe's shop has something of a reputation for having a "happy" dyno reporting numbers greater than one might get elsewhere.  Having said that I pay more attention to the curve and when it comes in then where it ends up.  Without regard to numbers that are or are not happy tuning efforts from Joe's also have a reputation for looking good and riding well.  With that in hand I could care less about the numbers.  Enjoy :2vrolijk_21: .

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2012, 09:20:50 PM »

You seem very pleased and that's, of course, all that matters.  Joe's shop has something of a reputation for having a "happy" dyno reporting numbers greater than one might get elsewhere.  Having said that I pay more attention to the curve and when it comes in then where it ends up.  Without regard to numbers that are or are not happy tuning efforts from Joe's also have a reputation for looking good and riding well.  With that in hand I could care less about the numbers.  Enjoy :2vrolijk_21: .

Well, I just came back from Joe's in Mechanicburg NY TODAY. I know others have felt his Dyno was "happy" because of the tremendous results he gets from his tuning. Well I am now absolutely convinced his dyno is certified and accurate. In addition to the multiple calibrations he's had from DynoJet, I now have my own evidence that convinced me without a doubt that his dyno is accurate. I've always felt that my last tuning just didn't do justice to the build so I figured I'd trailer my bike upto Joe's. Here's the build:

SE 110"
58mm Throttlebody
SE Roller rockers
5.3 gm/sec injectors
Hillside Headwork
Woods 408-6 cam
SE adjustable pushrods

Here's my WOT dyno from a year ago after my last tuning:

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 09:47:30 PM by Heatwave »

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2012, 09:31:28 PM »

Joe had no visibility to last year's final tuning graph (above) but his multiple runs on his dyno are absolutely identical to the tuning graph from a year ago on a dyno 200+ miles away run by a tech he doesn't know. Here's Joe's base dyno on my bike. While the scales are different the results are identical. BTW I had a chance to see Slacker's dyno graphs on his SE SG....all I'll say is WOW - unbelievable.

Joe has my bike and I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of results he delivers after he finishes tuning my bike.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 09:43:52 PM by Heatwave »

SE113

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2012, 10:41:02 PM »

what gear were all the pulls in?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2012, 10:50:19 PM »

Well, I just came back from Joe's in Mechanicburg NY TODAY. I know others have felt his Dyno was "happy" because of the tremendous results he gets from his tuning. Well I am now absolutely convinced his dyno is certified and accurate.

Glad that you're pleased with your expected result.  I've seen comparative tuning reports from Joe's that, while concurrent in the overall shape of the curve, didn't align numerically as your examples here do.  Correction and so many other factors come in to play there that it's something of a fools errand to begin making grand analyses from comparative dyno runs at different dates on different machines.  Whether a 110 with decent cams and some headwork doing 140hp passes the sniff test to anyone else also doesn't matter.  So long as your pleased with the effort and the outcome that's all that matters.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2012, 11:24:04 PM »

Glad that you're pleased with your expected result.  I've seen comparative tuning reports from Joe's that, while concurrent in the overall shape of the curve, didn't align numerically as your examples here do.  Correction and so many other factors come in to play there that it's something of a fools errand to begin making grand analyses from comparative dyno runs at different dates on different machines.  Whether a 110 with decent cams and some headwork doing 140hp passes the sniff test to anyone else also doesn't matter.  So long as your pleased with the effort and the outcome that's all that matters.

I think you misunderstand. He didn't do any tuning yet, so there's nothing to be pleased with. He just did a few baseline pulls in 5th (same as the earlier graph). The point is that both the shape of the graph (and afrs for both front and rear cyls)  and the actual peak #s were nearly identical to my results of a year ago. While I suppose it could be a remarkable coincidence, I think most would agree that this completely blinded comparison is reasonable evidence that the dyno he uses (calibrated by Dynojet according to Joe), is at least consistent with another calibrated DynoJet 250 that is several hundred miles away.

Joe has no idea I'm posting these results and he had no knowledge of my earlier dyno graph since I didn't have it with me on the trip. I never met Joe before today and I don't personally know anyone that has had their bike dynoed by him. The only reason this trip happened is because my son was invited to Rensselaer in Troy NY on a football recruiting trip and I figured it was worth bringing my bike up to have Joe check it out and see if he thought he could make any improvement on the bike's existing tune.

I certainly was surprised to find identical results even though they were reached by 2 entirely different operators, 2 different dynos nearly a year apart (similar temps). I simply stated the facts and I'll let others reach their own conclusions. From my perspective, I'm convinced his dyno generates results that are very consistent with other dynos. I found this recent dyno result comparison to be about as convincing as anyone is likely to find that calibrated dynojet dynos under reasonably similar conditions will generate similar dyno results..

I have no feedback on the performance of his tuning skills as I have no results yet. I certainly plan on posting them when they are available. Based on the baseline results from today, both Joe (and I) believe there is significant opportunity for improvement in the build's performance.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 11:28:48 PM by Heatwave »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2012, 11:36:48 PM »

I think you misunderstand. He didn't do any tuning yet

There was at least suggested previously outcomes of 133/140 or something like that.  From Hillside, yourself or both.  Not sure but, again, doesn't matter.  If the end user happy that's all that matters.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2012, 07:55:02 AM »

You definitely have me confused with another poster. I've never posted any results from tuning by Joe's Cycle Repair. The dyno I posted above is a baseline before any tuning was done by Joe's and it was posted for the purpose of comparing to a dyno graph from tuning I had done on the same bike a year ago. The results speak for themselves.

slacker2

• Full CVO Member
  • Work Hard...Play Hard.
    • VT

• CVO1: V&H 2/1 ProHighOUTPUT pipe,58mm,10.5 high dome pistons, Hillside heads, RS A/C 625 S&S cams.LED headlight and drivers.
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2012, 07:57:25 AM »

Heatwave I think that Twolaner thought that he was addressing me ...slacker.
Flying with the Eagles.
Stage III build by Palmer Brothers, DirectLink tuned by Joe's Cycles. One Happy Happy Bike.133T 140hp's

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2012, 08:03:13 AM »

Heatwave I think that Twolaner thought that he was addressing me ...slacker.

Got it...thanks

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2012, 09:11:59 AM »

Joe had no visibility to last year's final tuning graph (above) but his multiple runs on his dyno are absolutely identical to the tuning graph from a year ago on a dyno 200+ miles away run by a tech he doesn't know. Here's Joe's base dyno on my bike. While the scales are different the results are identical. BTW I had a chance to see Slacker's dyno graphs on his SE SG....all I'll say is WOW - unbelievable.

Joe has my bike and I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of results he delivers after he finishes tuning my bike.

Joe's dyno sheets are usually "std" is this a "STD" or a SAE" sheet?
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2012, 09:39:13 AM »

Got it...thanks

Apologies for any confusion.  Original poster and a piggyback can confuse a guy if he is paying attention to context and not usernames.   My bad. 

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2012, 10:08:48 AM »

It shows SAE with a Smoothing of 5

Now that the new bikes are 6 speeds, what gear are now tuners using to do their pulls, 4th or 5th? I know some use to inflate their numbers by doing their runs in 5th on the older 5 speeds, but with the 6 speed the gearing isn't the same.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 10:11:50 AM by Talon »

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2012, 10:10:22 AM »

Apologies for any confusion.  Original poster and a piggyback can confuse a guy if he is paying attention to context and not usernames.   My bad. 

No problem...I've done it myself in the past.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2012, 10:12:44 AM »

My baseline dyno graph (above) at Joe's was "Actual". SAE would have been 106hp/111ftlbs, so the peak # comparisons with the previous year's dyno results weren't "exactly the same" although the shape of the curves were remarkably similar.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 10:16:05 AM by Heatwave »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 24 queries.