Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: 2012 Rear Light Options?  (Read 7761 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: 2012 Rear Light Options?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 11:45:03 AM »

I have also been told by other riders that they were going to do the SESG rear fender mod to their older model bikes to clean up the rear end, and get those high visibility LED running/taillights...   :2vrolijk_21:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448778671&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302491575&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302491575&locale=en_US&bmUID=1328241384785&bmLocale=en_US

Yes, quite a few are changing out to the LED verticle lights.  But after reading Possum's reply above, I think he's talking about Goldwing riders giving him a hard time about his lights.  They look like a Christmas tree going down the road. ;D
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

tequillaCVO2010

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2012, 11:59:50 AM »

JCZ, I couldn't agree with you more.. lol  I'm going to ride from Dallas, TX. to Daytona Beach, FL. next month for Bike Week, and there will be two rolling Christmas trees coming along.  I think I'll let them ride behind me!   :drink:

2010 FLHXSE TEQUILLA SUNRISE

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2012, 12:02:01 PM »

While many Harley folks do tend to think "style" is more important than function or safety, count me in the opposite camp.  Rag on the Winger's all you want, but I'll bet they are much less likely to be run down from behind versus a SG (or any other bike with only one or two lights on the rear). 

Maybe it's just me and my eyesight, but I find most LED brake lights to be less visible in daylight than the good ol' incandescents.  That goes for automobiles as well as bikes.  And there are real and valid reasons why that may be, including the cost involved in putting enough LED's in the light to actually equal the light output of the incandescent bulb and reflector.

Anyhow, IMHO you can never have enough lights on the azz end of a motorcycle.  Maybe it has something to do with my being run down from behind about 25 years ago, stuff like that tends to stick in your head.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, 05:26:27 PM »

[/b]

However, there are other options.  You can add the saddlebag spoilers with the built in LED lights and then wire them as run/stop/turn lights. :2vrolijk_21:

Yep.  They were the first mod I installed...  But then I took it just  little farther for when we're riding two up.  :cucumber:

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 05:29:46 PM »

Yep.  They were the first mod I installed...  But then I took it just  little farther for when we're riding two up.  :cucumber:

Those HD paint matched?  if so the P/N would be great.  How about installation - easy to do?  Guess I could stick some LED's to the little lady when she is riding too - but her flipping peeps off seems to let them know they are too close.....her name is the badger!
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2012, 05:32:35 PM »

Yes, quite a few are changing out to the LED verticle lights.  But after reading Possum's reply above, I think he's talking about Goldwing riders giving him a hard time about his lights.  They look like a Christmas tree going down the road. ;D

The person that gave me the first feedback was someone I know that was following me in a cage - in the bright sunlight on the TX highway, they said they couldn't see the lights very well.  When it was more dusk/night - shone up like one of those gold wings.  I just would like a bit more visibility from both front/back - and the threads for the smaller passing lights seem to be easy to add for the front - just looking for an option for the back where I don't have to cut holes in saddle bags, or stick led strips on the bike.  I agree with grc on the visibility factor, soooo easy for peeps texting, talking, and curling their hair to not pay attention to bikes.  We don't have those extra Canuck lights, that would of been an easy upgrade.
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2012, 09:10:38 PM »

Looks familiar Mano  ;D. I was going to recommend badlands motorcyle products when I saw this thread but if possum is from Texas then he wouldn't have a pignose like us Canucks... that said if Badlands has something for the application, I'd highly recommend them. Also I personally had a terrible Kury experience so avoid their chinese electronics imho.

Thanks for clearing that up Nick. With all the responses i have given about the pig nose i totally for got about it when I posting the pics. The pic does not really show how bright that LED pig nose is. Thanks again Nick. :2vrolijk_21:

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 08:26:16 PM »

I am also on the hunt for a smoked laydown LED tail light.
Looking at the Kuryakyn Low Profile LED Smoked Tail Light 5435 or 5439 but not sure if they will fit.

Anybody tried to fit one?

bump

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE - 2018 FLHTKSE-ANV (Traded)
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE (Traded) - 2007 FXSTSSE (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2003 100th FLHRCi (Sold) - 2001 FLSTF (Traded)
    • 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 12:06:55 AM »

bump

I had a 5439. it fits. I won't recommend it. it is not bright and caused other flickering issues in the signals. I'd recommend badland motorcycle products RunTime laydown LED without hesitation. same price. made in USA 10x the quality.
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 05:25:38 AM »

I had a 5439. it fits. I won't recommend it. it is not bright and caused other flickering issues in the signals. I'd recommend badland motorcycle products RunTime laydown LED without hesitation. same price. made in USA 10x the quality.
Can you post a picture side on and from behind.
Also what part number is the light.

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 08:59:23 AM »

Can you post a picture side on and from behind.
Also what part number is the light.

Sure. Sorry, took these with my phone on the way out the door this morning.

Rear
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 09:00:08 AM »

side
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 09:03:43 AM »

Here is the info. Go to http://www.badlandsmotorcycleproducts.com/

RIDE TIME
LED laydown taillights with modern horizontally louvered lens and plate window, mounts to stock taillight base with stock screws. Includes dual intensity red LEDs, ( NEW ! NOW WITH 110 LED's ) 2 white LEDs, lens, reflector & gasket. 5 watts of concentrated super bright LEDs, integrated license plate white light.  Plug & play: fits 99 - 2008 FLT, XL, FXD, FXST except Duce & Springer. Three times as bright as a stock incandescent bulb, made in America.

Part Number - RTLD-S-NW  LAYDOWN SMOKE WITH NO WINDOW, NO PLATE ILLUM.
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

Eagle Eye

• THE EAGLE HAS LANDED!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Every day is a great day to ride!

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUE2 Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2012, 10:03:03 AM »

If you're talking about the fender tail light, try Bright Ass Lights http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=54200.0 .  I just installed this on my Ultra and love it.  One of the best features is the programmability of different patterns when you apply the brakes.  They are bright as all get out and will definitely get the attention of cages behind you. 

I have mine programmed to flash twice then go solid.  Not cheap, but worth every buck considering safety.

By the way, as a former Goldwing owner, I like the Road Glide tailights.  Wish they put them on the ultra.  But not enough to change the fender and paint.  I'll just buy a RG next.  On a bike, the more lights the better...no matter what you're riding.

Good luck deciding.
Ken2
Vietnam Vet
Spec-5
Medic
US Army

harleylimited

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2012, 05:53:23 PM »

The person that gave me the first feedback was someone I know that was following me in a cage - in the bright sunlight on the TX highway, they said they couldn't see the lights very well.  When it was more dusk/night - shone up like one of those gold wings.  I just would like a bit more visibility from both front/back - and the threads for the smaller passing lights seem to be easy to add for the front - just looking for an option for the back where I don't have to cut holes in saddle bags, or stick led strips on the bike.  I agree with grc on the visibility factor, soooo easy for peeps texting, talking, and curling their hair to not pay attention to bikes.  We don't have those extra Canuck lights, that would of been an easy upgrade.

I will have my HDI (international ) fender in citrus available for sale in 2-3 weeks time complete with the pig nose light - if you are interested i can pm you - i am willing to sell it for a good price .
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.176 seconds with 24 queries.