Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Possible new purchase 2009 FXSTSSE3 Yellow  (Read 5793 times)

Kby175

Possible new purchase 2009 FXSTSSE3 Yellow
« on: February 19, 2012, 08:30:44 AM »

Dealer is holding a 2009 FXSTSSE3 yellow with 1500 miles with a D&D fatcat in the back for me to test ride this week.  Just wondering how the SE Springer does on 300+ mile rides?  I go out on weekends and ride any where from 150 to 300ish miles.  Wish I could afford a SE Street Glide just don't have the cash to throw down on that bike.

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
Re: Possible new purchase 2009 FXSTSSE3 Yellow
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 09:16:38 AM »

After about a 100 miles my 2009 Springer kills my back & butt...if I rode it 300 miles I would have to get a crane to pull me off!!!!

napalm
napalm

GaLonghair

• Full CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 10:33:34 AM »

I have an FXSTSSE3 with the D&D's (fiberglass wrapped) 2into1's and they are a little loud, but not too bad. Had a FXSTSSE and I changed the seat and handle bars on that one, so was good for longer distances. My 09 seat and bars are stock and it's good for about 100 miles or so. With correct seat and bars is comfortable for longer rides, but it is not a touring bike!
Lead, follow or get out of the way. But, do something!

Kby175

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 10:40:48 AM »

Thank you for the replies.  Wish I had the cash for a CVO Street Glide honestly.  Going to take it out for a spin see how I like it.  I don't ride any super long rides right now.  I am on the fence right now between this bike and a 2012 Street Glide. 

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE - 2018 FLHTKSE-ANV (Traded)
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE (Traded) - 2007 FXSTSSE (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2003 100th FLHRCi (Sold) - 2001 FLSTF (Traded)
    • 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 11:47:16 AM »

I hate to be a "nay sayer" but I owned an 07 CVO Springer and while the love affair was strong and the bike was fabulous, it's weak link for me was comfort. Sexy does not even come close to describing how nice they are, that said...

My ass was numb after the first hour of any ride and then every 30 minutes after that. I tried other seats and couldn't find one I liked. I thought it was me and maybe my frame was wrong for it's frame, or maybe it was in my mind, but I could never recall being so uncomfortable on even a medium 3 or 4 hour ride on any bike I owned.

For my 50th, my wife got me the SESG and I have never regretted selling the springer, despite the love i had for that bike. There are probably many out there who will tell you differently, but I'm only being honest and giving mho... as much as that hurts to do in this situation... I really loved that thing and in retrospect should have kept it just for bar hopping or bike shows etc.
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

GaLonghair

• Full CVO Member
    • GA

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 03:17:50 PM »

HDNIK, you are right about keeping the Springer as a bar hopper. I traded my 07 when I got my '10 SESG. Big mistake :oops: When the dealership got a nice FXSTSSE3 in I was an easy mark :) At least the price was right.

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 05:49:05 PM »

Thank you for the replies.  Wish I had the cash for a CVO Street Glide honestly.  Going to take it out for a spin see how I like it.  I don't ride any super long rides right now.  I am on the fence right now between this bike and a 2012 Street Glide. 

As far as riding a 100 miles and being soar,as someone said :nixweiss:  You have to factor in age and what kind of shape your in  :coolblue: if your in shape you can drive that bike as far as you want! I ride with this dude 55 years old and he will ride a sportster all fricken day 6 to 8 hrs and he dont even limp much  ;D

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 08:00:24 PM »

Kby175, I have an 08 springer with a LePera bare bones solo seat with gel pad insert. After about 150 miles I need to get off and walk around a bit. I don't blame my bike or the seat though, I think it's just I have a bad a$$!   ;D
Jesus is Lord

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 08:11:35 PM »

"Spin" riding is about all the Springer will yield when it comes to comfort. Happy to hear that your rides are limited to short ones.   :znotworthy: :huepfenpinkie:
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

GaLonghair

• Full CVO Member
    • GA

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 08:20:39 PM »

On long rides just remember the wise words of Patrick Swayze in Road House: "pain don't hurt" :2vrolijk_21:

hdnik

• Elite CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE - 2018 FLHTKSE-ANV (Traded)
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE (Traded) - 2007 FXSTSSE (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2003 100th FLHRCi (Sold) - 2001 FLSTF (Traded)
    • 33 Hotrod Build
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 09:38:04 PM »

HDNIK, you are right about keeping the Springer as a bar hopper. I traded my 07 when I got my '10 SESG. Big mistake :oops: When the dealership got a nice FXSTSSE3 in I was an easy mark :) At least the price was right.

Funny... I saw on this sight that a guy was wanting to buy a FXSTSSE3 and another member pointed him to one on ebay. It onky had 880 miles in it. Black with silver / green flames.... PERFECT. the car dealer who had it said he was selling it to the local HD dealer if he didn't dump it quick. he had it listed for 19900 obo. that was Friday night.

My heart did a little jump... like seeing a picture of a long lost first love. I looked at the ebay link again yesterday (Saturday) and it sold for 19500.  :oops: ... I think I missed a deal there.
Nick Sebastian
nickcbass@gmail.com

JD

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 01:07:44 PM »

My honest opinion:  I had an '08 FXSTSSE2.  Put 26K miles on it in 4 years.  Many rides of 200-300 miles/day.  I absolutely loved the bike.  But, as pointed out, the FXSTSSE is NOT a touring bike.  I put a Corbin Solo seat, 12.5" apes and forward controls.  It was as comfortable as it could be.  But, after about 1.5 hours (mileage didn't matter), I would have to get off for 15 minutes or so.  Plus, my wife couldn't last more than 30 minutes (had the Corbin pass pillion as well).  Stock seat - forget it.  You can't get more than 30 minutes - unless you like sitting on sheet metal.  I just traded it in for a RGU.  Would have kept it if I could afford 2 HD payments.  It is an absolutely gorgeous bike - turned head everytime I parked it.  I think you really need to be honest with yourself and decide what kind of riding you are going to do.  If you will stick to the 200-300 mile trips and never want to do any more; the FXSTSSE is great.  But, if you ever think you are going to do more - or an overnight - get the SG (or a RG which I happen to like better).  Good luck!  Which ever way you go - it's a blast to be out there riding!

GVmechanic

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 07:43:59 AM »

I still can do 300-400 miles a day with no real problems, however, I do wear a Velcro back support. Handling on the 08 and up is a lot better especially on the back roads, because of the wider front tire. My 07 has the skinny tire up front and the 200 rear which causes a lot of push in turns. There are several threads about the handling. Changing the handle bars will help if you are under 6 foot tall with your position on the bike. As far as the springer.........well it is a springer. 1930 technologically at todays prices. Great bike on the super slab but you may have to back off a few mph more than you are used too on the twisters. Good Luck!

Angry Pirate

• Junior CVO Member
  • Bikes are meant to be ridden!

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 09:58:46 AM »

I rode my 2009 Springer:
From North of Seattle Washington on the back mountain roads (twisty) to Glacier National Park and back in 2009 - 1200 miles with the wife on back.
From North of Seattle Washington on the back mountain roads to Yellowstone Nat Park and on to Sturgis.  All the rides that week and then home in 2010 - 4000 miles total.
From North of Seattle Washington on the he back mountain roads (starting to see the pattern here?) through Canada to Bamf in 2011 - 1500 miles.
This summer I will ride home from Norfolk Virginia all the way to North of Seattle.  Oh guess what, not interstate - with the wife on back. Planned route - 3800 miles.

I have a Danny Gray seat, hwy bars w/pegs, heal rests and 14 inch apes.  So my situation is improved but I boldly disagree with everyones statement that this bike is for straight short rides.  I love long rides and I stay in a tent most times.   I am 34, so maybe younger than most in this site.  I don't know.  I get off the bike every 1h30m as a rule, but I look around.  See chit that I wouldn't at 55mph, eat at Mom and Pops, have a beer.  What kind of touring are you guys doing?

The only time I have ridden my Springer to the bar is when it is the only transportation I have at the moment........on a long ride.
2009 FXSTSSE3
Python Staggered Dual (V&H Baffles)
Power Commander V W/Auto Tune
14" Fat Apes
Danny Gray Saddle

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »

I've put 26,000 miles on my Wide Glide in 4 years. Not outstanding numbers but, living in Minnesota, it sits covered in the garage for at least 4 months each year. I'm 56 so I'm no spring chicken.

Longest ride in one day was 700 miles. Many 4-500 mile days in the saddle (corbin dual tourer, sometimes with an Air Hawk cushion). Several 2,000+ mile trips. I've set the bike up to be as good a tourer as a Wide Glide can be. Corbin seat, nice saddle bags, highway pegs, tunes in the helmet, GPS on an iPad in the tank bag.

I ride with guys that ride Road Kings, Valkyries, & BMW's. when they ride my bike, they say they don't know how I do it. I do it because I love my Wide Glide. Someday I may go to a tourer, hell, someday I may go to a trike. I've ridden the BMW 1600 twice and it would be tough to find a nicer all out touring machine than that. Haven't ridden a Road Glide yet. Don't really want to because I don't want to become dissatisfied with my Wide Glide.

Is a Wide Glide or a Springer or a Deuce as nice to tour on as a Road Glide or an Ultra, no it is not. But you can ride thousands of miles on a "bar hopper" if you want to and have just as good a time as anyone on a touring machine.

Get the bike you want and can afford. Make a smart purchase of a nicely maintained used bike (preferably from the owner and not a dealer) and save some money. That way, you won't loose a truckload of cash if you want to trade out. You can always trade for something else if you decide differently down the road.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 20 queries.