Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Cluth Lever  (Read 7839 times)

johnchalker

• Senior CVO Member
  • The Lord will Fight for you,you need only be Still

• CVO1: flhxse cvo street glide
    • CVO2: Flstnse
Cluth Lever
« on: March 28, 2012, 02:10:01 PM »

I was wondering if anyone has the same trouble as i have, i am finding the reach and stiffness of my clutch lever nearly unbearable.

Any suggestions to ease the pain !

LovemyCVOgirl

• Four wheels move the body.... Two wheels move the soul.
  • SMF Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Give me a switchback any day!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2015 Toyota Tundra 4X4 SR5 TRD 5.7L V8
Re: Cluth Lever
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 02:44:46 PM »

I was wondering if anyone has the same trouble as i have, i am finding the reach and stiffness of my clutch lever nearly unbearable.

Not sure what you mean by stiffness  :nixweiss: I find the clutch difficult and tiring to hold in at stops and stop and go traffic.  I'm going to install the AIMS Variable Pressure Clutch VP70T.  This reduces the pull by 40%.
Some days you're a bug, some days you're a windshield.

Bearcat1

• Full CVO Member
  • "I fly on the wings of Red Eagle"
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 03:14:29 PM »

Was a little weird to me at first coming off of a cable clutch but I am loving it now after only 300 miles.  But I have fairly large hands and no problem with the reach.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 04:29:03 PM »

If the lever pull really takes significantly more effort than you're used to on your previous bike, you may have something wrong.  The clutch spring on a 110 is stiffer than the ones on a TC96 or a 103, but it shouldn't be enough difference to cause severe pain.  I'd suggest the first thing to do is try another similar bike (any same year CVO 110 should do) to see if yours is the same or if it is significantly worse.  If it's worse, have a dealer check it out.

If it turns out your's is normal, then the easiest approach is the Variable Pressure Clutch pressure plate mentioned by LovemyCVOgirl.  It changes the release leverage at the pressure plate, and uses centrifigal weights to increase clamping loads at higher rpms so it won't slip.  You can also use a weaker spring to reduce effort even more and let the centrifugal weight system make up the clamping difference.  Check it out on their web site for the various possibilities:
http://www.aim-tamachi.com/home.php?cat=3

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 04:41:51 PM »

If the lever pull really takes significantly more effort than you're used to on your previous bike, you may have something wrong.  The clutch spring on a 110 is stiffer than the ones on a TC96 or a 103, but it shouldn't be enough difference to cause severe pain.  I'd suggest the first thing to do is try another similar bike (any same year CVO 110 should do) to see if yours is the same or if it is significantly worse.  If it's worse, have a dealer check it out.

If it turns out your's is normal, then the easiest approach is the Variable Pressure Clutch pressure plate mentioned by LovemyCVOgirl.  It changes the release leverage at the pressure plate, and uses centrifigal weights to increase clamping loads at higher rpms so it won't slip.  You can also use a weaker spring to reduce effort even more and let the centrifugal weight system make up the clamping difference.  Check it out on their web site for the various possibilities:
http://www.aim-tamachi.com/home.php?cat=3

Jerry

I HIGHLY recommend the AIM VP-70T variable pressure clutch. I can pull my clutch lever in with my little finger... literally! I put one in both of our bikes. My wife LOVES it... and she doesn't even have a hydraulic clutch like I have. I made the pull on her clutch much easier as well.

The VPC bolts onto the outside of the clutch basket... installations takes only about 30 minutes. Best investment you can make on your bike!

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Wayne G

• Senior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2011 Kyrpto CVO SESG2 2/17/11
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monster 1200S
    • CVO3: 2016 Softail Slim S
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 08:21:18 PM »

Am I missing something here  On the AIM website  the  VP-70T is for up to a 88" motor   It says a VP-92T is for the 110s

LovemyCVOgirl

• SMF Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 08:29:47 PM »

Am I missing something here  On the AIM website  the  VP-70T is for up to a 88" motor   It says a VP-92T is for the 110s

No, you're not missing anything  :P NorthGeorgiaHawg has done all the research with the company and the VP-70T is plenty big enough for the 110.  He is using this size on his scooter.  My friend was looking into this same size and he spoke with the company and they assured him that to get 40% reduced pull he needs to order the VP-70T.  They assured him that unless he has a 120, this size will meet his needs.

johnchalker

• Senior CVO Member
  • The Lord will Fight for you,you need only be Still

• CVO1: flhxse cvo street glide
    • CVO2: Flstnse
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 06:05:51 AM »

Yes it looks like I need to install the Variable clutch, are they available in the UK or do I need to bring one back when I am in the USA for holidays?

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 06:34:52 AM »

this is great.  I didnt know that this even existed.  I am going to speak to my local dealer to see how much it will take to install.  After riding the 250 miles trip home from picking up Ruby, my hand/wrist was killing me.  Thanks for forging the path.

LovemyCVOgirl

• SMF Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 09:23:23 AM »

this is great.  I didnt know that this even existed.  I am going to speak to my local dealer to see how much it will take to install.  After riding the 250 miles trip home from picking up Ruby, my hand/wrist was killing me.  Thanks for forging the path.

You are welcome!  But it is Ken (NorthGeorgiaHawg) that we really need to thank.  He did all the hard work of researching the product and was then kind enough to share that with the rest of us.  Installing this and having the ability to pull the clutch in with one finger is going to be fantastic  :2vrolijk_21:

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2017 Indian Jack Daniels Edition Chieftan
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 10:47:11 AM »

Another option is to do more 12 ounce curls with your left hand to strengthen your grip :drink:
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

LovemyCVOgirl

• SMF Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 10:55:01 AM »

Another option is to do more 12 ounce curls with your left hand to strengthen your grip :drink:

I never had this problem with my '09 SG.  Seems to me that this hydraulic clutch is stiffer than I am comfortable with.  But, I dont feel to bad when the "boys" are complaining too.   :antlers:

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 12:01:56 PM »

ok, so need some advice on this.  I called AIM and spoke to Kae.  He just about insisted that the 70T is not the best option and that there could be damage sown the road.  He said that the 84T is the right part for the 110's.  He did say that the 70T is borderline so I am guessing that they are concerned with any potential lawsuits or damage.  Any insight would be appreciated.

Ted

LovemyCVOgirl

• SMF Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2012, 12:53:50 PM »

ok, so need some advice on this.  I called AIM and spoke to Kae.  He just about insisted that the 70T is not the best option and that there could be damage sown the road.  He said that the 84T is the right part for the 110's.  He did say that the 70T is borderline so I am guessing that they are concerned with any potential lawsuits or damage.  Any insight would be appreciated.

Ted

Ted, maybe they are just trying to make more money.  Is there a cost difference?  Ken, (NorthGeorgiaHawg) is running the 70 and if you have been following his thread he has beefed up his SG with multiple upgrades and he is not having any problems.  I am not going to point you in either direction because this is your call.  There is a difference in the % pull with the 84T.  I suggest you PM Ken and ask him why he is comfortable running the 70T.  I know I am, and that is what I will be adding to mine.  I hope this helps and please keep me posted with your decision/results.  Thanks, Judy

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 01:17:08 PM »

If I understand the differences correctly, the three versions just alter the static spring pressure by altering where the pressure plate contacts and compresses the diaphragm spring.  So the 70 lowers static spring pressure 40%, the 84 about 20%, and the 92 only 7%.

Here is where the problem can come in.  The additional clamping pressure from the centrifugal system does not kick in immediately, it ramps up slowly as rpm's increase.  So at very low rpm, the 70 may allow slippage under certain conditions until the rpm's increase enough to generate higher clamping loads.  Perhaps that is what the gentleman at AIM was referring to when he said there may be issues down the road.

I suppose if one really wanted to prove out the idea that the 70 is OK for a CVO110 they could run it on a dyno and look for slippage at low to midrange rpm.  IMHO, people who ride normally and don't use WOT between idle and 2500 rpm probably won't have a problem.  Folks who hammer the stuffing out of their bike should probably stick with the 92 or even go with a complete aftermarket clutch replacement.

Jerry 
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 20 queries.