Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: SYN3 Out--Mobil 1 V-Twin In  (Read 23989 times)

3hawgs

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Re: SYN3 Out--Mobil 1 V-Twin In
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 01:07:19 AM »

I run Mobil V-Twin 20-50 in all 3 holes and prior to the introduction of the Mobil "V-Twin", I used regular 20-50 Mobil 1 in all my bikes over the past 15 years. I am sold on it as I have torn down engines at over 80k miles and the engines were clean as a whistle with very little wear. I stock 15 cases of the Mobil 1 V-Twin in my shop and am constantly getting guys coming over to have me service their bikes with the Mobil 1. The great thing besides lower engine temps and less wear, is that if you go on a long trip you can take a quart with you knowing that you can top off any of the 3 (engine,trans, primary) if needed.

Harley Syn3 is not a true synthetic and should not be misconstrued as the best oil for Harleys. Mobil tried to get the Harley contract for supplying their oil but Harley refused because they demanded that the Mobil 1 name could not be used and Mobil told them they would not supply it without using their name. So Harley settled on an inferior private blended 20-50 synthetic blend that cost them less money than the Mobil 1 and allowed them to brand it as "Harley-Davidson" oil while at the same time increasing their gross profit.

I have had GREAT success with Mobil 1 and would never run anything else. S&S endorses the Mobil 1 V-Twin as the only oil they recommend which makes a great testimonial for how good this oil really is.

John

UK Dave

• Elite CVO Member
  • Born to be wild - well, for a few days at least
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2006, 07:21:58 AM »

I run mobil 1 20w-50 in the crankcase, mx4t 10w-40 in the primary and mobil 1 75w-140 in the tranny. I have switched a few of my friends bikes to this combo and they have all noticed a difference for the better, especially in the way the bike shifts.
  Oddly enough I have never experienced a problem with "bearing skate".  ;)

Hey MObe

I just thought I'd help you move along to Elite status...

So, do you find the change to M1 75/140 help with finding neutral

This is a recurring problem for me even after a 10k service with the primary chain adjusted to presumably the correct setting.

Cheers

Dave
If you're not living on the edge - you're taking up too much room!

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2006, 08:51:34 AM »

I have 35,000 miles on my fltrsei2,,is it too late to switch to mobil 20-50 v-twin??
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2006, 08:54:47 AM »

Hey MObe

I just thought I'd help you move along to Elite status...

So, do you find the change to M1 75/140 help with finding neutral

This is a recurring problem for me even after a 10k service with the primary chain adjusted to presumably the correct setting.

Cheers

Dave

Dave....I'm running the Mobil 1 VTWIN in all three holes, but I also have the Automatic Primary Chain Adjuster.....2600 miles on the bike.  I never have a problem finding neutral, and the gears just click when I shift.  The adjuster is supposed to help with that, but I think the oil helps too.  The part is only 129 bucks...next time you do the primary, consider putting that in.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2006, 09:25:47 AM »

I have 35,000 miles on my fltrsei2,,is it too late to switch to mobil 20-50 v-twin??
HEADPAN,

It's never too late to switch.  If you're worried about some of the "wives tales" out there about switching to a synthetic causing oil leaks, don't sweat it.  That may have been true in the bad ol' days when the machining of the various parts wasn't very precise and the gasket materials were ancient technology.  With the introduction of the Twin Cam, that is no longer an issue.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Scooterhair

• Senior CVO Member
  • DSP Member # 637.3
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2006, 10:09:15 AM »

The Mobil 1 75w140 tranny lube. Are you using the full synthetic ( $15.00 qt. ) or just regular lube    ( $6.00 qt. ) ?

I've been using the syn.
2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8
2008 1500 RAM 4x4
2001 Blue FLTRSEI2
2003 Neosho trailer painted to match bike
1999 Blue Ness custom ( SOLD )
1997 Black & Champagne Wide Glide (The Wife's)
Big Ass 21' Dodge 3500

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2006, 11:51:58 AM »

I'm getting ready to switch out before Sturgis, and I'm still confused over what to use in the tranny.  The other thread was saying 75w90.  I think I read to only use the 75w140 for extemely hot regions?  What would be the best choice for the midwest - Chicago/Sturgis?
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

05ChromeUltra

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2006, 12:31:17 PM »

An avid rider of another board has a 2003 Ultra Classic TC88, he drives a lot of miles. The motor finally caved in at 171,000 miles. I talked to him on the phone one day, when it had 151,000 (14 sets of tires by the way) he lives in Illinois, he said he ran Syn3 for 127,000 miles before switching over to Amsoil. So Syn3 can't be that bad, perhaps not as good as others on paper, but the crap is just too pricey for me. I have ran Amsoil, Mobil 1 Extended 15-50 Car Oil (Synthetic) Syn3, and like one poster said, even HD360 Dino stuff is running around in a lot of Harleys. Twin Cam 88's nominal oil temperature is 230F as identified in the service manuals. I have seen 300 on my Ultra running 85-90 mph in 105-110 deseret heat. The CVO 103's and newer 96" and 110" CVO's probably run as hot or hotter...most motor oils in the 20-50 range have a flash point, then a fire point. Most flash points are in the 420 to 475 range. Amsoil's is right in the middle or so...you can go to numerous websites of oil manufacturers and dowload spec sheets and compare for your self. My Amsoil guy disappeared, so I went with off the shelf stuff, but I see a little company by my work that has an Amsoil sign out. Next oil change I'll prob get some 20-50 from 'em. It is good oil. I run Redline Shockproof heavy in the tranny, and still got my old Amsoil 20-50 in the primary. Did pick up some of the new 5 micron Premium Harley Oil Filters from zanotti...the older ones were 10 micron for the TC's.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 12:33:24 PM by 05ChromeUltra »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2006, 12:43:07 PM »

I'm getting ready to switch out before Sturgis, and I'm still confused over what to use in the tranny.  The other thread was saying 75w90.  I think I read to only use the 75w140 for extemely hot regions?  What would be the best choice for the midwest - Chicago/Sturgis?
The old H-D trans lube is 75w80, if I remember correctly.  For most folks, the 75w90 would be more than sufficient.  The Redline Shockproof Heavy that I use doesn't have a viscosity rating on the bottle, but the web site indicates "it performs like a 75w250, but with the internal friction of the lighter weight".  Over the years I've personally used the H-D Semi-Synthetic Trans Lube, Belray GearSaver 80w140, the 75w140 Mobil 1, , and now the Redline Shockproof.  The original reason I started using the heavier lubes (older bike) was that I had noticed an increased shifting effort when hot, and the 75/80w140's seemed to help.  If you don't see an issue during the current heat wave with what you're using now, the 75w90 should be fine and will have slightly less internal friction (drag).

I personally prefer the Redline, but like Amsoil it isn't the easiest thing to find locally (I order a case from a distributor and keep it on hand).  The Mobil 1, either 75w90 or 75w140, is easy to find in most any auto parts store.  The Belray GearSaver is carried by many of the bike shops, Harley and otherwise.  

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2006, 01:20:26 PM »

Did pick up some of the new 5 micron Premium Harley Oil Filters from zanotti...the older ones were 10 micron for the TC's.

05...not trying to throw a wrench in the works here, but there is NO way the HD filter does 5 microns...it is a paper filter.  According to a friend of mine who is a petroleum engineer, an oil particle is approx 8 microns, so anything that filters particles smaller than that, even if it were true, would strip the additives off the oil particles and defeat the purpose of having a high quality oil in the system.  So, the 5 micron claim cannot be true, at least so far as the entire filter medium is concerned....it may filter 5% (just a guess) down to 5 microns, so if one wants to claim the lowest number it's capable of filtering, I guess it's not false advertising, but it sure is misleading.  In addition, HD filters do not have a backflow preventer, which means everytime you shut the engine off and the oil drains back through the filter, it dislodges some of the particles in the filter and puts them back in the system, only to be filtered again.  K&N filters provide better protection, and have a backflow preventer...

Just my 2 cents....

TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2006, 01:22:58 PM »

a backflow preventer.....

I hear that FireD00d thinks this site needs one of those  ;D  [smiley=drink.gif]   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] .

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2006, 01:38:07 PM »

I hear that FireD00d thinks this site needs one of those  ;D  [smiley=drink.gif]   [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] .

There have been several times in my life, after several  [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif] [smiley=drink.gif], when I wished I had a backflow preventer   ;D ;D

TTS Mastertune

05ChromeUltra

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2006, 02:00:31 PM »

Amen on the "Drain Back"  [smiley=drink.gif] how ever not to argue with the 5 micron issue, the newest filters I picked up are called SuperPremium 5's..on the box it states 5 micron media, perhaps cellulose (Synthetic) , also says it has the  drainback vulva, err...valve...hehe. They just hit the market about a month ago...

SuperPremium5 Oil Filters

Utilizing advances in [highlight]synthetic media [/highlight]technology, the SuperPremium Oil Filters are TEST-CERTIFIED to provide filtration to retain dust, soot and other solid matter with low internal pressure relief and [highlight]anti-drain back valves[/highlight]. Available in black or chrome.

This product is available in multiple variations. Be sure to look for the one that fits the specific model and year of your motorcycle.

63731-99A

SuperPremium5™ Oil Filter

Fits all '99-later Twin Cam and Evolution® 1340-equipped models and available as an upgrade for any motorcycle that requires Oil Filter P/N 63796-77A, 63805-80A, 63812-90 or 63813-90.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 02:02:19 PM by 05ChromeUltra »

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2006, 02:09:18 PM »

Good to know they've  improved the filter....I'd still be really suspicious about the 5 micron thing...

[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] [smiley=drink.gif]

TTS Mastertune

05ChromeUltra

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2006, 02:33:20 PM »

Sounds like a better filter than they had though, at least synthetic medium and anti-drainback is in place...I popped on one from Fram last oil change, don't know what the hell is in there???  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Low end Frams usually arn't too good of filters anyway. The new Harley one looks pretty good so far..
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 25 queries.