Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21

Author Topic: (California/Arizona), Nevada, Utah, Colorado  (Read 65071 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: (California/Arizona), Nevada, Utah, Colorado
« Reply #240 on: June 14, 2012, 12:19:27 AM »

I forgot two important questions.
1- Where is the killer Maltese?
2- What would you do if you sold the Harleys?

1.  Molly's right here beside me.  She's the primadonna.....has her own temperpedic pillow.

2.  Go drive the Alpine Loop :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Harvey Mushman

« Reply #241 on: June 14, 2012, 10:19:00 AM »

1.  Molly's right here beside me.  She's the primadonna.....has her own temperpedic pillow.

2.  Go drive the Alpine Loop :2vrolijk_21:

I don't know that a lifted Jeep is really more comfortable than your current rides. Now maybe a Ural,........ ;D
Special Thanks to JCZ for his help in routing some of my two cross county trips.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781149

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #242 on: June 14, 2012, 12:24:36 PM »

JC...great pics and narrative!  I have often considered moving to the Pagossa Springs area, as it seems like a great location.  I have spent some time in that whole area...I took a photography "course" back in about '95 through Rocky Mountain School of Photography (highly recommended, and they still offer it, based out of Ouray) and stayed in Ouray for a week.  I added 3 days to the front end, and 3 days to the back end of that trip and did some exploring on my  own prior to, and after the course.  This was back when I carried a 40lb pack full of camera gear...two bodies, multiple prime lenses, tripod, etc., and shot Velvia slide film exclusively (digital was just getting started back then and a camera body was 10K).  The great thing about the course was that each morning and afternoon (this was in late July when the mountain wildflowers at higher elevations were in full bloom) we had professional drivers who drove the group of about 20 people up into the mountains on modified Jeep Comanches.  They had the bed part of the truck set up with bench seating withing a steel "cage" so you wouldn't fall out.  It was an unforgettable experience....taking photos of beautiful places and traveling by Jeep on the dirt/gravel mountain roads mentioned in one of your posts.  We would shoot photos all morning, come back to Ouray, send our film out for developement for the next day, then the instructors would critique our photos from the previous day, along with the class members.  We'd eat lunch, then go back out in late afternoon/evening and shoot until the light was gone at somewhat lower elevations.  All different skill levels, with 3 great instructors, so those who had more skills could work on the "art" part of photography, and others could better learn the basics of camera operation, etc.  The Jeep rides were amazing...scarey at times, as the jeep would be running on roads that had a 2' "shoulder" and then dropped straight down for hundreds of feet.  That's why you see so many Jeeps in that area of the mountains...it's basically the best vehicle for riding those mountain roads due to the relatively short wheelbase, skid plates, etc.  In places, you are climbing sheer rock, almost boulder hopping.  It is not something for the inexperienced to attempt on their own.  But the photo ops are spectacular.  For anyone thinking about going to that area, take an extra day and hire a pro driver to take you up in the mountains, but only after you've given yourself 2-3 days at at least 7-8K altitudes, or you'll get sick from altitudes they drive you to...well over 11K, with a pass or two at 13K.  Not trying to hijack the thread, but here's a couple of examples of what you'll see on the Jeep rides:

Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #243 on: June 14, 2012, 12:25:36 PM »

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #244 on: June 14, 2012, 12:26:16 PM »

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #245 on: June 14, 2012, 12:27:01 PM »

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #246 on: June 14, 2012, 12:28:13 PM »

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #247 on: June 14, 2012, 12:29:34 PM »

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #248 on: June 14, 2012, 12:31:04 PM »

I've got hundreds of them, but that gives you some idea of what kinds of photos you can get, or just stuff you get to see when taking one of the Jeep rides offered in the area.  Money well spent, IMO.

TTS Mastertune

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #249 on: June 14, 2012, 01:58:47 PM »

I've got hundreds of them, but that gives you some idea of what kinds of photos you can get, or just stuff you get to see when taking one of the Jeep rides offered in the area.  Money well spent, IMO.

Kind of like the guided tour in a 4x4 through Monument Valley.....well worth the $! :2vrolijk_21:

None of us got sick at those 11,000' passes but I think we all noticed the thin air.  You'd walk 100' feet back down the road to get a photo shot and by the time you got back to your bike you were panting like you'd just run the 100 yd. dash for the first time in 40 yrs. ;D    Even in those little towns that were high up....Lake City and Creede....just walking a block or two and back you'd be all winded.

After a week or so in high altitudes, we were all doing pretty good. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #250 on: June 14, 2012, 03:40:33 PM »

Yea, the first time I was out there, I got off the Jeep to get some photos in an Alpine Meadow and got dizzy after walking 100 yards with my camera backpack on.  After then, I just took it real slow.  About 10 years ago, I did a backpacking trip up to the Weminuche Wilderness (you were looking at the area when you were at Molas Pass on the Million Dollar Hwy) and was hiking with a 50lb pack up to as high as 13K.  I had trained for 3 months to build up my red blood cell count, plus I took Diamox for two days prior and two days during the trip.  I didn't get altitude sickness, but my buddy did...not a dangerous case, but enough to make him feel like crap a couple of days.

Diamox works...well, it helps...and you can ask your doctor for a 6 day supply of it if you explain what you're about to do.  And drink LOTS of water.

At my age now, and in the shape I'm in now, I would need more than Diamox... :huepfenlol2:

That whole area of CO is just about the prettiest place I've ever visited.  The Canadian Rockies might tie it...but in a different way.  The towns are so cool in that area of CO though...lots of history and neat places to eat/stay.  It's on my Bucket List to get back out there again.

TTS Mastertune

jonga

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #251 on: June 14, 2012, 06:20:28 PM »

All I can say is WOW!!!! what a beautiful area, is diffinatley on my bucket list. JC thanks again for taking all of us along with you on your specktackular vacation. Just love all the pictures and comintary. I knew I was jeaulous but now I really am. What a great trip.  :2vrolijk_21: Jon

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #252 on: June 15, 2012, 03:29:38 PM »

Sorry folks......thought I'd get this ride report done this week but have been slammed the past couple of days.  Hopefully be able to get Utah and Nevada next week. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #253 on: June 15, 2012, 03:43:33 PM »

Sorry folks......thought I'd get this ride report done this week but have been slammed the past couple of days.  Hopefully be able to get Utah and Nevada next week. :2vrolijk_21:
 The end of the day in Ouray we meet to talk about leaving in the morning headed WEST and home. It was one of two longest day riding and was getting hot. I push my point to skip breakfast and burn a tank of gas asap leaving at 6am. Got everyone to agree (with a few resevervations ) At about 6;30 am drove by a road kill ,Mountian lion, never expected that and would have liked to stop for a photo of Donnie Dep holding it up but i made such a big deal of putting on some mile before it hit 90 i didn;t stop now i wish i would have.---AK
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #254 on: June 15, 2012, 04:40:27 PM »

The end of the day in Ouray we meet to talk about leaving in the morning headed WEST and home. It was one of two longest day riding and was getting hot. I push my point to skip breakfast and burn a tank of gas asap leaving at 6am. Got everyone to agree (with a few resevervations ) At about 6;30 am drove by a road kill ,Mountian lion, never expected that and would have liked to stop for a photo of Donnie Dep holding it up but i made such a big deal of putting on some mile before it hit 90 i didn;t stop now i wish i would have.---AK

I think someone else must have taken one because I found it!

;)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 26 queries.