Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Wobbley Ride to Sturgis  (Read 4591 times)

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2017 Indian Jack Daniels Edition Chieftan
    • CVO3: 2019 CVO Road Glide
Wobbley Ride to Sturgis
« on: August 10, 2012, 03:18:16 PM »

I just got back from Sturgis last night and encountered something with my 2010 SESG that I've never had happen before.  At times when I had a strong side wind blowing, the bike began to wobble all over the place.  I could not seem to tell if it was the rear end moving around or the front end getting light, but it was really unstable.

I did have my King TP loaded on for the trip.  I also just switched to PM wheels and Avon Tires.  With that being said, I didn't have the problem on a consistent basis, just when the wind hit the bike a certain way.

My mechanic seems to think that bracing the rear end will end this problem, not sure after reading some old threads.  Any thoughts on what I should look at and on the rear end brace :confused5:
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
Re: Wobbley Ride to Sturgis
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 03:24:17 PM »

What changed? Your wheels and tires. I start there looking for reasons...

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 03:30:54 PM »

I just got back from Sturgis last night and encountered something with my 2010 SESG that I've never had happen before.  At times when I had a strong side wind blowing, the bike began to wobble all over the place.  I could not seem to tell if it was the rear end moving around or the front end getting light, but it was really unstable.

I did have my King TP loaded on for the trip.  I also just switched to PM wheels and Avon Tires.  With that being said, I didn't have the problem on a consistent basis, just when the wind hit the bike a certain way.

My mechanic seems to think that bracing the rear end will end this problem, not sure after reading some old threads.  Any thoughts on what I should look at and on the rear end brace :confused5:

Rode across South Dakota last Friday in 30/40mph crosswinds - two up pulling the Bushtec.  Rode sideways  for 300 miles until encountering bridges or semi tractor trucks, which consistently produced the anticipated wiggle.  Tiring, but no wobbles or unstable results...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 03:34:51 PM »

If it were my wheels and tires, wouldn't it do it all the time at speed?
The days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, those are really good days.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 04:36:53 PM »

If it were my wheels and tires, wouldn't it do it all the time at speed?

With that thought.....then what good is it going to do to brace the rear end?  Just don't ride in the wind. :nixweiss:

You might look at the neck bearings....check the fall away.  It's possible that your neck bearing races just finally settled all the way in and now your neck needs tightening a bit.

But like Michael said.....you never had that problem before you changed tires and wheels.  Without wind there might not be enough to get it to oscillating but throw the wind in on top of the new tires and wheels and you have a problem. :nixweiss:

Just thinkin out loud here.......
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 05:26:40 PM »

What was the actual change to the wheels and tires?  Same sizes as stock, or something like a 21 inch wheel with a low aspect ratio skinny tire up front and a smaller rim in the rear?  If you did change the sizes, that would be the first place to look for the cause of your handling issue. 

The other thing you mentioned is adding a King T-P on the back.  If the bike was heavily loaded and the weight was concentrated at the rear of the bike and up high, that will also affect handling.

I haven't personally heard of anyone with the 2009 and later frames having a need for one of the rear stabilizer products.  The change to the front motor mounts and the much more rigid frame and swingarm has pretty much eliminated rear steer on most late model bikes, as long as the swingarm pivot bushings and mounts are OK.  Have your mechanic check the steering head bearing preload and lubrication, and the condition of the rear mounts (swingarm).

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 06:05:50 PM »

The other thing you mentioned is adding a King T-P on the back.  If the bike was heavily loaded and the weight was concentrated at the rear of the bike and up high, that will also affect handling.

While I'm new to Touring on a bike that's built for it... I noticed the same effect coming out of and into Calgary from Montana.  I know according to recommendations that the tourpak itself had a few pounds over it's 25lb limit, and I had almost 35lbs on the top rack of the tourpak... also way above the racks limits.

I passed off the poor handling as being due to my poor planning and over the limit weights I had placed on/in the tourpak... shifting the center of gravity somewhat.  Once out of the heavy crosswinds, everything returned to it's normal smooth ride, with nimble reaction to any inputs made by me.   8)
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 06:18:41 PM »

Hmmm....same size tires as the originals, and rode them about 500 miles without a problem.  I'll have my mechanic check the head bearing and rear mounts.

I don't think I was too loaded down, heavy, but not more than 30 lbs. certainly not as much as if I had a passenger on the back!  If the rear bracket doesn't do anything for the 2009 + bikes, then why would they make them :confused5:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 06:25:00 PM »

Hmmm....same size tires as the originals, and rode them about 500 miles without a problem.  I'll have my mechanic check the head bearing and rear mounts.

I don't think I was too loaded down, heavy, but not more than 30 lbs. certainly not as much as if I had a passenger on the back!  If the rear bracket doesn't do anything for the 2009 + bikes, then why would they make them :confused5:
A passenger on the back would be more centered above the rear axle... your additional weight was behind the rear axle which may make a significant difference. Coming from a stripped down Fatboy to a touring bike I remember the first time I rode with a fully loaded TP and T-Bag Dekker Supreme on the luggage rack of the TP it definitely was an awaking experience. The front end really felt lighter as if it wasn't on the ground at times. :nervous:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

tweeter13

• 1K CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 06:53:40 PM »

its a long video but advance to about the 5 min mark and watch from there.  it explains alot about weight and issuses like this.            its a lot of info.  if you experience it again.  you might try some of the trick he sugests in the video. 
18 Monsterbrite led lights
Fullsac DX head pipe
Fullsac 2.25 baffles
TTS master-tune
George Anderson tourpac relocator

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 07:23:06 PM »

Maybe the sidewall of the front tire is having the issues and when you ride more heavly on it you feel the issue, vs normally riding on the typical tread pattern.   As stated above, the neck bearing might be a good one to check as well as motor alignment and the obvious motor mounts. 
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

RODN

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 04:05:10 PM »

Don't think it was the weight. I have had my tour pack loaded to the limit and heavy t bag on rack also. I was in about 30-40- mph cross wind and never a problem.

jacks

• Full CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHXSEa my new love from Orlando to Melb.

• CVO1: 2010 CVO Streetglide Spiced Rum
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 04:00:31 AM »

Hi Mike,
I had the same problem on my way to Queensland and it turned out (I hope) to be the Touring pack as it hangs out behind the rear axle, I was passing two Road Trains (Semi's with 2 or more trailers) at way over 100 mph and still have wobble (or known here as tank slap) nightmares, luckily I had spare you know whats in the touring Pack...

Today, I purchased a Truetrack stabiliser (Part #20-00-09) from the US and will happily install it myself to ensure that it is correctly fitted.

My love is an 2010 FLHXSE in Spiced Rum, and whilst I don't normally travel at these speeds, if emergencies dictate it, I want to be able to do so safely.

This may or may not be the answer, and I would appreciate anyone's comments, that have one fitted, and the cost is a pittance where life is at risk..I believe they have addressed the problem on the 2012's...if so, nice of them to let us know there was a problem in the first place (if indeed so)
2010 110 w/ S.E.R.T., High flow exh., 585 SE cam...
Developing 112.8 HP and 128.8 FtLb of torque...
Tuned to perfection...
Love of baiting the "Boy Racers"...

petewerner

• I live to ride, I love to ride, everyday I ride :)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Ride it like U stole it, live life the same way.

• CVO1: 2003 FXSTDSE Sold
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 08:25:20 AM »

Mike I had the same problem heading home from Sturgis, myself. It was CRAZY to even ride in that wind! My 11 RGC was jumping sideways from a few inches to a foot or more with big gusts from the side. I was leaning over while going down strait-a-ways nearly 20*  from vertical!! Then the wind would die and, I would be turning and stand it up strait only to get the next gust and jump sideways til I got leaned over again to go strait...
If I was a smarter guy, I would have stopped at the start of the weather, really no one should be riding in that weather if safety is a priority!!
My bike is good in every aspect UNTIL I got 50+mph side gusts... I'm doubtful any bike would handle it much better...
1998 FLSTF with Kerker 2/1, Dyna 2000i single
       Fire Ignition, Chrome swing arm, Garrett Billet Wheels, Too much chrome
       2 list....
2011 FLTRx 103, Stage IV, SE Heavy Breather, SE Race Tuner, SE 58mm TB, V&H Power Duals, V&H H.O. Slipons=, Dyno tuned 117HP-111TQ :D Tank lift, drop seat, turning DARK

Badger Mike

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 03:16:34 PM »

Thanks for all of the comments.  The wind on the ride home was horrible!  I picked my bike up last night after getting the oil changed and having stabilizers put on the frame.  Hit about 90 MPH, and the wobble was back >:(  Going to call my mechanic and ask him to check the neck bearings and rims and tires.  Frustrating...
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 25 queries.