Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Replacing Crankshaft Bushing in cam plate??  (Read 14745 times)

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Replacing Crankshaft Bushing in cam plate??
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 02:04:32 PM »

Send the pump back to fueling, in the past they have taken care of there customers with reconditioning of the pump.

DITTO!!!!! While you are at it I would buy a fueling plate as well. I have it in a couple of my bikes and the combo has been very good to me!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

HILLSIDECYCLE.COM

• Banned
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 02:15:06 PM »

FWIW, we can count on 1 hand, the number of fancy-a$$ed anodized billet cam plates we've installed here, in the past 12 years of working on/with the T/C engine.
Most all were at the client request I might add.
Scott

prodrag1320

• AMRA & AHDRA P/D record holder
  • Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 03:00:09 PM »

same here,no need for a billit plate,nothing wrong with a stocker

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 03:17:21 PM »

FWIW, we can count on 1 hand, the number of fancy-a$$ed anodized billet cam plates we've installed here, in the past 12 years of working on/with the T/C engine.
Most all were at the client request I might add.
Scott

same here,no need for a billit plate,nothing wrong with a stocker

:2vrolijk_21:   Try not to say this stuff too loudly guys, you're liable to cut into some serious profit margins at Fueling and Harley along with a bunch of other vendors.  Billet is a magic word in the world of Harley.  I'm surprised some shuck and jive type hasn't tried to sell billet seats to the Harley crowd.

Btw, the late model stock oil pump is also just fine for a normal bike.  It also has the advantage of being more tolerant of pinion shaft runout than the "ultra close tolerance" stuff from folks like Fueling.  On the other hand, after spending only about eight times as much as a stocker for the Fueling pump, it can be rebuilt while the Harley stuff is disposable.  Guess it depends on how many decades a guy plans to run that engine.

Jerry ;)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 03:19:43 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

prodrag1320

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 04:08:38 PM »

i think the early or late pumps are fine for most milder builds,the extra scavaging of some of the aftermarket pumps is a +,but wont be noticed on the majority of builds

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member
  • Utah, 2008 Best Trip Ever!

• CVO1: 03 SERK Purdue Gold & Black
    • CVO2: 09 SERG Silver & Black
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 05:50:22 PM »

i think the early or late pumps are fine for most milder builds,the extra scavaging of some of the aftermarket pumps is a +,but wont be noticed on the majority of builds

I guess if my Feuling pump needed rebuilt, I could just put the original back in.  It only had 20,000 on it when I took it out.
Steve

prodrag1320

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 07:47:53 PM »

as long as theres not any scoaring,put the stock pump back in it

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 09:09:49 PM »

as long as theres not any scoaring,put the stock pump back in it

That's the problem.  There is a little scoring.  When I put this pump in about 40,000 miles ago, there was a little scoring but it was hard to catch a fingernail on it.  Now it will easily catch a fingernail, so I'm wondering if the cam plate is junk anyway.  I was thinking they can't be refaced.   Is that correct?
Steve

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2012, 09:44:07 AM »

Anyone know a source where you can buy just the cam support plate and not the kit with all the extras on it?  Or will I have to just buy the one with everything on it?
Steve

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2012, 11:06:39 AM »

Anyone know a source where you can buy just the cam support plate and not the kit with all the extras on it?  Or will I have to just buy the one with everything on it?

The aftermarket offers a few different billet options.  The original cam plate is a pretty good part though.  If you can change the bushing in it cheaply just go for it.

You need a parts manual too.  Many of your questions answered right there.  The original cam plate is available from Mother Harley.  Not unexpectedly it's surprisingly expensive though.  Almost $300.  So close to $250 even from one of the 20% off discounting stores.  By the time you tack the price of a new oil pump on to that you're not that far off from something like a Feuling plate and pump.

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2012, 11:14:36 AM »

I think the plate is going to have to be replaced due to scoring so the busing won't matter.  I was trying to locate just the plate and not the complete plate, tensioners, etc., that Harley offers.  Got the parts book and manuals but it doesn't list a plate separately, only the combination, which would still be cheaper than a billet one though.
Steve

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2012, 11:20:17 AM »

I think the plate is going to have to be replaced due to scoring so the busing won't matter.  I was trying to locate just the plate and not the complete plate, tensioners, etc., that Harley offers.  Got the parts book and manuals but it doesn't list a plate separately, only the combination, which would still be cheaper than a billet one though.

You're right that the replacement OE plate comes as an assembly with new tensioners and bearings.   You'd want the bearings anyway.  It is still a bit cheaper than an aftermarket billet plate.  So sell the new tensioners on eBay for whatever little bit they'll bring and keep working.  If you know (and it seems you do) that this is the cheapest effective option it's time to buy parts and move on.

skippy49

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2012, 11:52:26 AM »

You're right that the replacement OE plate comes as an assembly with new tensioners and bearings.   You'd want the bearings anyway.  It is still a bit cheaper than an aftermarket billet plate.  So sell the new tensioners on eBay for whatever little bit they'll bring and keep working.  If you know (and it seems you do) that this is the cheapest effective option it's time to buy parts and move on.

I think that's what I'll do as I forgot about needing the bearings too.  I've got a fairly long list of parts I need so I'll just add to it.

Thanks to everyone for the help.
Steve

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2012, 03:59:09 PM »

:huepfenjump3:   I love it,,,   The big three jump right in there...   :huepfenjump3:...     No that's funny chit right there...    LMAO. 

Cvobiker they are battling for the golden troll award.     Guess business is slow they all jumped pretty quickly
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2012, 04:46:58 PM »

Well with all those bikes I am sure you have a vendor of choice. Cool

There is a technical side of the discussion now you open a "people" side

At the end of the day we are not the enemy and what you call "trolling" may in fact be just that. I help a lot of guys for free. No monetary gain to be had. Not much recognition either except from the few rare very kind individuals that have flipped me credit at Cabellas and ebay for my time, voluntarily without me asking. Many expect (entitlement) help for free. Nope I can't afford to do that any longer unless they are my customer then I will take my shirt off my back to help them.

We are all the same here, all people that need to eat and want some of the finer things like our own customized bike, why beat on us for working hard? No free lunch for any of us. Part of this business as much as it pains some is advertising keeping the coffers full, sorry to say, the good news is on this forum it is not excessive and those same vendors offer free tech support.  :)

And in this case the OP actually was offered by one of the three help which will save him from buying an expensive part or buying an inferior replacement.

Peace!, Keep it Cool
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 05:13:17 PM by Deweysheads »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.